Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled DOD....??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disabled DOD....??

Hey guys,

I disabled to the DOD on my car today bc i was sick of the throttle response the drown it gave the exhaust. What other adjustments do you guys make when this is disabled if anything?
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic7818_3.gif

Post Thanks / Like

So how's your fuel economy? Why not get an AFM tune to even it out?
    Compression is King. Race-built VVT brawler hauler with Stingray tune.

Supernaturally as-pirated, all-alcohol, all-motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pir4te View Post
    So how's your fuel economy? Why not get an AFM tune to even it out?
    Its going to get dyno tuned on monday.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your reason for wanting to tune out AFM? Do you have, or plan for, an aftermarket exhaust? If so then yes.. good idea to get it turned off. If you just tune it out and leave the hardware in place then you have not done anything to strengthen the performance of the car. If your budget allows you may consider doing a complete DOD delete kit.
    '09 LR G8GT w/ Premium / Sport / Sunroof / 35% Tint
    Conti-DW Extremes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bjhayes View Post
    What's your reason for wanting to tune out AFM? Do you have, or plan for, an aftermarket exhaust? If so then yes.. good idea to get it turned off. If you just tune it out and leave the hardware in place then you have not done anything to strengthen the performance of the car. If your budget allows you may consider doing a complete DOD delete kit.
    Is this for me or pir4te?

Post Thanks / Like

All you have to do is just disable it. You can leave it disabled as long as you want. I never heard of any issues leaving it always disabled. On my 2008 impala it's been disabled in the tune for 73000 miles no problems.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    All you have to do is just disable it. You can leave it disabled as long as you want. I never heard of any issues leaving it always disabled. On my 2008 impala it's been disabled in the tune for 73000 miles no problems.
    Down the road i plan to do the full delete. But as of right now this was the ideal option.

I dont expect any performance gains out of just disabling it but since the car doesnt try to roll in to 4 cylinders it drives a lot better i feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Mate what I mean is quite different to simply turning the AFM "on/off", in fact there are more than 50 Shades of Grey programmable in your e38 tune.
    Limo drivers in Sydney run with AFM on most of the time because of the nature of their main run being 50mph airport to city, mine comes on in a narrow band only when cruising past 62mph, then cuts out at 2000 rpm. Preferences that are customised to your driving style is key to maximising AFM.
    OzTrack tuning (see http://youtu.be/_yNQdUmRWc0 at 2:25) is possibly the world expert in this area using EFIlive remote tunes.
    AFM's not a black and white, P.I.T.A dumb idea, use it to your advantage and smooth out the economy, noise and vibration associated with changeovers using an integrated (engine and box) remote tune by an expert.
    Last edited by pir4te; 11-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Performance and harmonics. We here mostly just tune it off because we feel we don't need it.

It makes a negligible difference for me if it's on or off (I daily drive my G8) so I just leave it off when I tune the car. Plus with my exhaust the car would sound like crap if I let it enable.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
    It makes a negligible difference for me if it's on or off (I daily drive my G8) so I just leave it off when I tune the car. Plus with my exhaust the car would sound like crap if I let it enable.
    Fair enough, thought OP was looking for a better than stock solution to maximise driving efficiency, which ofc is to reprogram AFM tables via ecu&ect tune, but agree its far easier and cheaper to turn it off.
    BTW ofc j-pipes work to eliminate drone at any prescribed frequency, cost me $180 to wipe out all AFM noise @ 56hz +/- 5hz. I wrapped pipes from both sides around spare wheel before bumper.