Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New G8 Owner - Does anyone know this car?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New G8 Owner - Does anyone know this car?

Hi, I bought a red 2008 G8 GT in January with 55700 miles on it (at the time). It has a few mods- Vararam intake (not installed very cleanly), Kooks headers, possibly a full exhaust, but I'm not sure. It also has aftermarket wheels, which unfortunately are lacking the TPMS sensors. They don't look bad, but I don't know what the hell was wrong with the stock wheels. Anyway, the car definitely has an EFI tune, because at the very least, AFM (or DOD, whatever) does not seem to be active. Possibly also a transmission tune, because I can't see much difference between driving it in normal Drive and Sport Shift. A couple people who've heard it idle said it sounds like it has a cam, but I don't know if the lopey idle is just the result of a less than optimal tune or some other issue. I'm brand new to computer-controlled engines. I just know from the smell that it runs rich.

This is a total shot in the dark, but this place seems to have the biggest group of Texas owners, compared to the other G8 forums I've seen. I'm wondering if the car sounds familiar to anyone. One of the two previous owners was obviously performance-minded, so maybe he posted here or was known among the G8 community. I'd mainly like to find out what was done to the car. If it has a cam, for example, I'd obviously like to know before I start trying to tune it. Or rather, before I get Patrick G to tune it... some things are best left to the experts.

Anyway, here are all the details I can recall from looking at the Carfax report just before I bought it. It was a two-owner car. I bought it in Angleton at the Gulf Coast dealership in January 2014, only a week or so after they picked it up from another dealership in Lake Jackson or thereabouts. The second owner sold it or traded it some time in late 2013. It was frequently taken in for service in Clute. I think the second owner only had it for a year or two. Before that, the original owner lived up north- I want to say either Humble or Conroe. At some point, I think when it was still with the original owner, it was taken in for warranty service, hopefully to remedy this control arm situation I've been reading about. I don't remember exactly when the original owner traded it in, but it was probably around mid-2012.

Alternatively, if there's a way to find out if the engine has been cammed just by looking, I'm open to suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about the car, but was it you that I saw at chick fil a today?
    G8 GXP SRM M6 #1816
    415 rwhp / 406 rwtq
    RotoFab CAI; Kooks LTH / Catted X-Pipe; Borla Pro XS Mufflers
    Tuned by G-Force Motorsports

G8 GXP PBM M6 #788 - SOLD
    451 rwhp / 425 rwtq
    Katech Cam; RotoFab CAI; Kook's 1-7/8" Mids; Borla Catback

Post Thanks / Like

If it still has 4 cylinder (DOD) mode, it likely doesn't have a cam.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 GT V8 View Post
    If it still has 4 cylinder (DOD) mode, it likely doesn't have a cam.
    he said it doesn't appear to be active

SpaceFrank, post a video of the idle
    G8 GXP SRM M6 #1816
    415 rwhp / 406 rwtq
    RotoFab CAI; Kooks LTH / Catted X-Pipe; Borla Pro XS Mufflers

G8 GXP PBM M6 #788 - SOLD
    451 rwhp / 425 rwtq
    Katech Cam; RotoFab CAI; Kook's 1-7/8" Mids; Borla Catback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ls3gxphouston View Post

SpaceFrank, post a video of the idle
    +1 what about photos?
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

No, I didn't go to Chick-Fil-A on Tuesday. I have seen at least two other red GTs in Houston since I bought the car, though.

Here's a video of the car starting and idling. I just discovered that it won't remote start with the hood open. I guess this is by design, but it's mildly annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYPzF7BZ56k

The engine cover was missing when I bought it. Probably removed when the PO installed the intake. Floppy air box clamp aside, I still haven't figured out how to remove the air filter without taking the whole thing apart.
    Last edited by SpaceFrank; 04-10-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The video is hard to tell what's going on. The intake comes off by removing it from the throttle body and pulling it out of the car. It's pretty simple. Just remember to disconnect the MAF and the HSRK which is the sensor on the back of the CAI.
    Are you sure the car doesn't have an aftermarket cam? I would assume no since the left the beauty cover on the intake plenum, but I've seen others do that too.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

what side of town you in?
    Blown by Jessika
    Tuned by Pat G
    "Stock" MGM G8

Post Thanks / Like

I live off Monroe Rd., north of Hobby, but I work in La Porte.

My guess was also that the car is still running a stock cam. I test drove another G8 GT shortly before I bought this one, and while this one did seem a little faster, it didn't seem like the kind of difference an aftermarket cam would make.
    Last edited by SpaceFrank; 04-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Southeast New Jersey (LBI, Toms River, Atlantic City)
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the lumpiness go away? I bought one about a month ago and to my knowledge its completely stock. No tune that I know of and zero aftermarket mods. I also have a bit of a rough idle at times, could be warm or cold. Everything checks out though. The weirdest part with mine is that its not constant or even at any certain engine temp. My best guess is an injector or spark plug misfiring every now and again with mine.