Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: GXP Wheel locks - can't get them off!

Post Thanks / Like

Default GXP Wheel locks - can't get them off!

Has anyone found a way too get these off?

I may have put them on too tight when I rotated tires last summer (bad habit of mine) - just used a star wrench.
    I have the key, tried a pipe over my 1/2 drive ratchet and it started to distort the key, so I gave up that approach. Any ideas on this?

I see there's an external thread on the locking lug itself, so I've been looking at lock removers. However, it doesn't appear to be left handed like I would think for a remover to work. I found some from CTA Tools (PN A148, A149), but they are all inch sizes - the 1" is too small and the 1-1/8" is too big. The thread O.D measures just under 26 mm, so I'm guessing it's an M26?.

Now I'm looking at the Sunex lock removers below, but can't find a thread description anywhere. These 3 look promising:
    28403 GM "M" & "F" Body Wheel Lock Remover (They claim this one fits Corvette wheels.)
    28404 Oversized Wheel Lock Remover
    28405 McGard Wheel Lock Remover (McGard makes a similar looking wheel lock for the G8 - PN 24109 so maybe this remover will fit?)

Appreciate any help you can offer. I need tires - soon! I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's.

Gary
    2009 GXP, Liquid Red, Auto, Onyx/Red interior, Sunroof, Low miles, Vararam CAI, Pat G tune. #127 of 1829, #6 of 78
    2000 Grand Prix GTP Daytona Pace Car Replica, ported exhaust manifolds, Hi flow catted downpipe, 3.4" SC pulley, DHP Powrtuned.
    2002 Bonneville SSEi - bone stock, winter beater.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used a deep socket. Use a socket that is a little small so it will be snug. Tap on with hammer, then use a breaker bar to remove. You will need a vice and a punch to remove the lock from the socket after removal.

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Socket trick works, but be cautious of the wheel finish etc.

I've got wheel lock removers in 4 sizes in my tool box from my POS/beater driving days to the JY for parts, i think they were a standard item from the parts store.

Or take it to a local wheel/tire shop, if they can do it without damaging the wheel.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Last year tried to take my wheels off and the locks were slipping, like the locks were starting to strip.
    Took it to a local chain repair shop to see what they had to say. They told me they could "try" but couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't damage the wheel.
    Left there pretty quick, went to the dealer and they had them off in no time using some kind of master key.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about the hammering on a socket idea, but figured if they're on so tight a breaker won't do it, that the socket would slip. I like the master key idea. I'm heading to my local dealer this afternoon. If that doesn't work. I'll try the socket. Thanks!
    2009 GXP, Liquid Red, Auto, Onyx/Red interior, Sunroof, Low miles, Vararam CAI, Pat G tune. #127 of 1829, #6 of 78
    2000 Grand Prix GTP Daytona Pace Car Replica, ported exhaust manifolds, Hi flow catted downpipe, 3.4" SC pulley, DHP Powrtuned.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the dealer got them off. They tried both ends of an internally reverse threaded flip socket they usually use - said this happens all the time. Neither end would bite on the lug, apparently because of the external thread on it was in the way. (I figure this thread is for a cap since it's a right hand thread.)

One of the techs then pulled a set of spirally fluted sockets like these out of his toolbox and one of them bit over the outside of the lug.
    Asked him what I owed - he said "nothing". I handed him a $20 and said thanks very much!

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I get to go spend $1200 on tires!

5573845025.jpg

20140530_195648.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you handing the tech a tip.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I figured it would've cost me all of that in time and money to find and buy the right socket. Everyone was really nice and helpful. It might make me change my opinion of dealerships. Crap, In all the excitement I forgot to take down the PN of that socket.