Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: tune out DOD

Post Thanks / Like

Default tune out DOD

I experience some lifter tick some of the time not alot. When I start it up it ticks for 1-2secs and goes away. Question is can I get the dod tune out or would I have to purchase the dod delete kit to prevent her from getting worse. Car is a '09 g8 gt with 55k. Only mods are solo axle back with custom xpipe. Getting ready to purchase LT's and cai. Guessing I can get it tune out when I do the other mods?

Post Thanks / Like

Tuning out DoD won't really do much for lifter tick, I wouldn't think...
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Lifter tick can not be tuned out. It's needs to be diagnosed and fixed.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure its lifter tick and not coming from the oil pump?
    Our cars (and pretty much any LS/Vortex motor) will lose oil pump prime after sitting a few hours.
    Its not harmful at all, as it only last about a second or two but I have heard my car do it and it does sound very similar to lifter tick.
    The only difference is the "speed" of the sound. If you YouTube G8 lifter tick and find a good video and compare it to what you are hearing you will notice the the lifter tick...ticks...at a much slower rate and will normally last quite a bit longer, due to the fact the oil will take longer to get up to the lifers instead of the second it takes to just hit the pump.

A video would help the cause...

Here is a good example of lifter failure..

2009 G8 GT lifter tick: http://youtu.be/DXKeqVWdcxY

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jae; 06-24-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine always ticks for a few seconds on a cold startup. It is a very fast paced, quiet tick that goes away within 5 seconds or so. No one notices it except me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Ignition Orange G8 GT - Cortex - Rotofab - HSRK - Solo cat-back - Camaro 3.27 LSD w/BMR bushings - Camaro trans pan/filter - 20" replica Camaro wheels wrapped in 265/35/20 Nitto NT 555's

2001 Galaxy Silver Grand Prix GTP - Cam - Heads - Gen 5 M90 blower w/2.8" pulley - Intercooler - E85 - All supporting mods - Currently faster than my G8

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, only in the morning really, and my wife doesn't notice (or care..)
    Its very similar to pulling back a shower curtain would be a good example Lol.
    If my boy will go to sleep maybe I can get a video of it.

Went outside and got lucky... Compare your noise to this..
    Not lifter tick, but oil puml: http://youtu.be/-i12vTZZOD0

Last edited by Jae; 06-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The first video it doesn't sound like that thank goodness. The second video with the red G8 yes that is what it sounds like.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, the second one is mine.
    As stated, it sounds similar to a bad lifter, but side by side it is a way different type of noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Well guess im good then thanks for the upload. If it fails later hopefully not then hello cam and dod delete