Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We lost a member a year ago this week... Chris Wells, AKA Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Default We lost a member a year ago this week... Chris Wells, AKA Panzer Leader

Hey guys, was reading over the board tonight here and there and saw Panzer Leaders name. I vaguely remember PMing him back and forth a bit and I was aware, although I dont know that the group was, that he had cancer.

I was saddened to see that we lost Chris to myeloma last year, April 12, 2015.

I dont even know what to say - I remember his posts about how much he regretted selling his G8. He loved how it handled and didn't care that it was "just" the V6. He traded it for the CTS that he absolutely couldn't stand, and then ended up in the Infinity. Even the G37s wasn't up to snuff compared to the G8. He hemmed and hawed about buying back into the G8 every time a nice one came up for sale, but he never bit.

Here is the obituary. To say that he was accomplished in life is an enormous understatement. He had purchased two of the coins for Charlie, and I can only imagine the connection he felt and the realization that his path would most likely be the same.

Chris, I miss you on this board. I never met you in real life, but you helped make this a special place. Thank you for the difference that you made in this world.

Chris Wells was born on October 15, 1950 to Vera Reinhardt and Elwood “Woody” Wells, Sr. of New Orleans and Melville, New Jersey. He was raised in the New Orleans area where he attended East Jefferson High School High School and then attended Southeastern Louisiana University. Colonel Chris Wells departed this life on April 12, 2015 after losing his battle to multiple myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow).

Colonel Chris Wells holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Southeastern Louisiana University and a Master of Arts degree from the United States Naval War College. As a Distinguished Military Graduate of Southeastern’s ROTC program, he entered into active federal service with a Regular Army commission as a second lieutenant. He is a thirty-three year veteran of the United States Army and its reserve components. At the time of his retirement in 2004, Colonel Wells was the Deputy Director, Support Operations for the 377th Theater Sustainment Command (TSC) United States Army Reserve in New Orleans.

Throughout his military career, he has served in units in the continental United States, Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, the State of Kuwait and the Republic of Iraq.

2nd Lieutenant Chris Wells was commissioned Regular Army on December 15, 1973 from Southeastern Louisiana University ROTC Program. He attended Infantry Officers Basic Course (IOBC) and Airborne School in 1974. 2nd Lieutenant Wells was then assigned to the Cavalry Platoon as an Infantry Officer in Korea. Captain Wells was then reassigned to Fort Polk, Louisiana where served until he resigned from active duty in 1978.

Captain Wells retained a reserve commission on the Louisiana National Guard from March, 1978 until May, 1986, when then Major Wells joined the US Army Reserves.

Colonel Wells joined the 377th Theater Army Area Command (TAACOM) in May, 1986, where he held various positions starting with Transportation Officer for Host Nation and Services Directorates and culminating as the Assistant Chief of Staff Transportation, Assistant Chief of Staff Services. Colonel Wells provided senior leadership in the 377th TAACOM.

Colonel Wells was activated to support Operation Desert Storm serving with distinction as Transportation Officer, 321st Material Management Center from July 1991 to April 1993. After redeploying home from Desert Storm, Colonel Wells joined the 377th TSC as a civilian military technician.

Colonel Wells assisted in the transition of the 377th Theater Army Area Command (TAACOM) to a Theater Support Command (TSC). Colonel Wells led many planning efforts and conducted numerous exercises in support of the National Security Strategy in the Middle East including Lucky Sentinel and Lucky Warrior in support of Third Army in the Southwest Asia Theater of Operations to prefect the new concepts of the TSC.

With the reorganization to 377th TSC, COL Wells became the Deputy Chief, Distribution Management Center (DMC). His leadership was instrumental during the unit’s establishment of this new section as part of the 377th TSC transition to its new structure as the only theater support command in the Army Reserve. Following his efforts with the DMC, Colonel Wells was assigned as the G4, and commenced intense personal efforts to build a strong staff relationship within the 377th TSC. Colonel Wells’ efforts proved timely and prescient following September 11, 2001. Colonel Wells deployed to Kuwait with the early entry command post in November, 2001 and provided outstanding technical and tactical leadership as Assistant Chief of Staff G4, 377th TSC (Forward) for fifteen months, to include his efforts at planning and the logistical support of Operation Enduring Freedom. In anticipation of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Colonel Wells assumed the duties as Commander, Aerial Port of Arrival APOE at Kuwait International Airport. There at the APOE, Colonel Wells spent countless hours coordinating the effort to deploy troops and critical supplies through the APOE into Kuwait and subsequently, Iraq. He personally was responsible for all strategic air operations at the airfield during the combat operations phase of Iraqi Freedom. He resumed his duties as Deputy Support Operations Officer, and remained deployed through October, 2003, serving two full years deployed. As Deputy Support Operations Officer during the planning efforts for Iraqi Freedom, Colonel Wells ensured the synchronization of support for coalition, joint and special operations forces throughout the entire United States Central Command area of responsibility.

Colonel Wells is a graduate of the Infantry Officer's Basic Course, the Transportation Officer's Basic and Advanced Courses, the Supply Management Officer Course, the Motor Officer Course, the Joint Course on Logistics, the Air Transportability Course, the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Transportation and Storage of Hazardous Materials Course, the United States Army Command and General Staff College, the United States Air Force Airlift Planners Course, the United States Navy War College, and the National Defense University’s National Security Course.

Among his decorations and awards are the: Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Achievement Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Louisiana. National Guard Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars, Global War on Terror Service and Expeditionary Medals, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (Korea), Southwest Asia Service Medal (Desert Storm), Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia), Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait), Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Army Overseas Service Ribbon, Army Reserve Component Over Seas Training Ribbon, Army Parachutist Badge and numerous other military and civilian awards.

Colonel (R) Chris Wells is preceded in death by his father, Elwood, “Woody” Wells Sr, and is survived by his wife of 28 years, Ellen (Colihan) Wells, mother Vera Reinhardt Wells, 2 brothers, Keith Wells (Silvia), Woody Wells Jr. (Belinda), numerous aunts and uncles, nieces, nephews, and great nieces and nephews.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 04-11-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this post of remembrance. Thinking of Charlie too.

3. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes tchr49, STL_G8GT, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Thanx for the remembrance. I was fortunate enough to meet Chris at G.ON.E. and he was indeed, a fine man. He was very proud of and loved his G8. I remember his passing, but did not see his obit at the time, he clearly was a man who loved our country.
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show
    Tint by Spade Kreations 35% & 20%
    Holden V-6 rad cover courtesy of Crazy Paul
    PB
    12.986 @ 108.78
    R.I.P. Charlie......FUCK Cancer!

5. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes tchr49, STL_G8GT, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest in peace Panzer and give 'em hell!
    Thanks Pete
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

7. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes Steve, tchr49, STL_G8GT, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We lost a good man.
    Amen.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

9. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes STL_G8GT, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete ..Thank you for posting this. I had no idea and was wondering where he has been. I never seen a thread last year about his passing ..Im very sad to hear this.
    Chris used to always tease me about my nickname Mongo and always made me laugh with his personal messages. He was a great member.

Chris (Panzerleader) is decorated hero in my eyes and Im sure all of us think the same.

May God look upon him as an angel that defended the rights of others not only for our beloved nation but for all other nations he served to help gain their freedom.

Rest in peace my freind! I salute you and thank you for your bravery defending our great country!
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

11. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes texn884, JAFO, tchr49, STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea we'd lost him! I'd met him in person and he was a super nice guy! I had melanoma going on three years ago and have the scars on my face and neck to prove it. It's not to be taken lightly (not that he did). I go in every six months for check ups and wear sunscreen and a stupid looking hat whenever in the sun. Take care out there guys! Sunburns are BAD!!!

RIP Chris!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

13. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes MongosG8, tchr49, STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Chris. Guys please have any spots checked out. I was diagnosed with melanoma almost 6 yrs ago. As of now I'm still cancer free but have had 2 nasty surgeries & have a 4" round crater on my head. I get checked every 6 months. As Chewy stated, Don't take it lightly.
    -----------------------
    11.350 @ 118.66 / 1.57 60ft [300 DA]

RPM tune, PatG cam, FAST 102, L92 heads ported by Greg Good, Kooks 1 7/8 headers,
    RotoFab 102mm CAI, LS3 maf, UDP, JBA wires, Meziere water pump, SJM linelock,
    Circle D 3600, 3.27 diff with Truetrac, GForce HD axles, Pedders bushings, Spohn trailing arms,
    Camaro rims on the street & CCWs at the track....... SOLD

Looking for a 00-02 Camaro SS with A4

15. Likes MongosG8, Chewy liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe it's been this long. He was a great member of the community and always looked forward to his posts. I'm gonna have to steal Mongo's pic here, but he deserved it.

RIP!

Fuck cancer, I just lost my aunt Saturday to it.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

17. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea. I remember him from the Gone events. Thank you for posting this. I figured he had sold his G8, like many, and just moved on. Always sad when we lose on of our G8 family members. RIP.
    SBM G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport
    1 of 1,111
    2010 GONE Best Stock G8 GT
    2011 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT & Fastest Stock G8 GT
    Mr. April 2011
    2012 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT

LR G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport + Sunroof
    1 of 2,717

19. Likes MongosG8 liked this post