Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Parking Brake Shoes for rear Brembo's w/Camaro sized rotors

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS: Parking Brake Shoes for rear Brembo's w/Camaro sized rotors

For sale are some reasonably priced custom/oversized parking shoes for the G8 when doing the 4-piston rear caliper/Brembo upgrade with Camaro SS sized rotors.

Price is $130 per pair, plus $8 shipping via USPS to continental US. For other locations, PM me or email me at the following address, and we'll sort out shipping costs. Send your paypal payment to g8brakes at gmail dot com. Feel free to ask questions here or through that email address.

Sets currently available: 0 (as of Aug 21, 2014). I have another batch on order, which hopefully should be here in early September

Pictures & FAQ in the next post below.

For installation information, look at Eidolon's thread here: Tips and Tricks for Rear Brembo Brake Installation

If you're looking for the rear caliper bracket, which is the bracket that relocates the 4-piston caliper further away from the hub so that the larger Camaro sized rotor can fit, as of May 18, 2014, there may not be any current suppliers for these brackets. Prior suppliers were Squash Performance, the creators of the bracket, and after Squash stopped making them, Andy with Squash Performance was kind enough to post the CAD design files for the brackets in this thread: http://grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=39027 . Next, Wade Freichs took the reins. Sadly, Wade stopped selling them too. Wade had previously been selling them in the G8 Classifieds on Facebook and here: http://wadefrerichs.wix.com/je-perfo...untitled/c240r. Thankfully, someone picked up the effort after Wade called it quits. The current bracket supplier details are available here: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...l=1#post576702. I have no affiliation with any of these bracket suppliers.
    Last edited by toedrag; 08-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Some pictures

What are these for?
    When upgrading the rear brakes on a G8, you have a choice in what rotor to use: either Camaro SS sized rotors or HSV rotors. Camaro SS sized rotors are priced from $50 each (including ones with lifetime warranty) and up. With Camaro SS sized rotors, the inner diameter of the drum where the parking shoe sits is approximately 1/2" larger than the G8, which means the stock G8 parking shoe is too small. The shoe needs a little bit thicker friction material, aka lining, to mate with the Camaro SS sized rotor. The shoes that I'm selling here are properly sized to fit inside the Camaro SS rotor.

HSV rotors are ~$250 each (ouch), are 15mm smaller vs the Camaro SS sized rotors, and their availability can be a challenge. However, the HSV rotors do allow you to use the G8's stock parking shoe because the inner diameter of the HSV rotor drum is the same as the G8 rotor, which means when using HSV rotors, you don't need the oversized shoes I'm selling.

HINT: You can buy a pair of Camaro SS sized rotors with a lifetime warranty, plus these parking shoes, for less than the cost of ONE HSV rotor.

Why am I doing this?
    It's less about making money for myself and more about getting a reasonably priced product to market. I feel/felt compelled to show the G8 community that you don't have to spend an arm & leg on the custom parking shoes.

How are these made?
    These shoes start out life as an off the shelf Centric/C-Tek part # 110.07840. A specialty brake shop (whose main business is building custom shoes/pads and other parts for vintage cars) removes the original Centrek/C-Tek lining. Next, they attach the slightly thicker non-metallic lining using a high-temp adhesive, clamp it, and bake it in an oven. After that, they shave the sides of the lining to the correct width. Then, they ship them to me. I measure the outer diameter, place the shoe in a spare Camaro SS sized rotor and adjust if necessary to ensure that the shoe rotates properly inside the drum of the rotor. Next, I measure the opening at the bottom of the shoe and adjust if necessary to ensure it is set to the proper gap. Lastly, I'll give them a little high temp black paint if any metal had become exposed during fabrication.

Why are these so inexpensive compared to others?
    In this application, since the donor shoe's original lining is removed and replaced, the quality/function of the the original lining doesn't matter; all we need is the steel frame from the donor shoe. You can look up the Centric/C-tek part I'm using on Rock Auto or Amazon, and you can see that it's less than $20 per pair. Normally, I'd question the quality of the lining with such a cheap shoe, but like I said, the original lining of the donor shoe doesn't matter because it's being removed. The remainder of the cost is the replacement lining, the shop's labor, and my labor. The replacement lining the shop is using is a non-metallic compound. (During prototyping, we did try a woven semi-metallic lining, but it was much more expensive, made an unpleasant scraping noise during normal driving from just barely touching the drum, and had no discernible performance improvement over the non-metallic lining we eventually selected). It did take the shop some effort to find a non-metallic lining that is both the correct thickness and that is flexible enough to be contoured around the sharp curve of the G8 shoe. The end result is a reasonably priced custom brake shoe.

Can't I just find a custom brake shop to do this for me?
    Absolutely. But, understand that custom brake shops who can reline shoes can be hard to find; it's not like you can go to your favorite race shop or a Midas/Just Brakes to get it done. It's really a niche market for parking systems where pads/shoes simply aren't mass produced anymore, or it's for large industrial vehicles like forklifts, conveyer belts, etc. If you do find a supplier, ask for a "custom or oversize reline of an automotive parking shoe" where the lining needs to be about 3/8" thick. Because the G8 shoe is stamped "Do Not Reline", you'll probably want to buy a new set of shoes. You'll have the shoes shipped to you, then you'll ship them to your supplier, and once completed, your supplier will ship them back to you. All of that creates a fair amount of wasted shipping costs & delay. Buying mine gets you relatively instant gratification without being someone else's guinea pig.

Could I just build these myself?
    Sure, if you really wanted to. McMaster-Carr sells brake lining by the foot in various thicknesses. The tricky part is removing the old lining, prepping for the new lining, applying the adhesive/epoxy, and lastly clamping the lining to the frame while the adhesive cures. Google "DIY Brake Pads" and follow your nose. This being said, I'm a die-hard DIYer, and I wouldn't do it this way.

Do I use these on my car?
    Yes. I originally had the woven semi-metallic prototypes, but when I tried the non-metallic ones from this first batch, I liked them much more and stuck with them.

Is it safe to buy from me?
    Yes, it's safe. Here is a link to my iTrader page which has feedback from buyers of these shoes. I'll only accept your money if I have parking shoes to ship to you, and I'll generally ship the same day or the following day. I've sold plenty of items on other forums without issue. The last high-ish volume item I sold was a few years ago on another car forum where I put together a calendar of members' cars, and everyone was quite happy with that experience both years I did it. I'm happy to provide the links to that if anyone wants to see it.

Disclaimer of liability
    Use at your own risk. Buyers agree that I, Centric/C-tek, and/or the brake shop, shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages resulting from the use or installation of these parking shoes.

Is there a warranty?
    These are offered AS-IS. There is no warranty expressed or implied.

I'm happy to answer other questions.
    Last edited by toedrag; 03-04-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man these are awesome!
    I may pull the trigger on these, just gotta think about if I really need or not.

I give you props for doing this for the G8 community.
    -RIP CHARLIE GRRRR8-

2009 MGM G8 GT

PERFORMANCE:BP CATCHCAN/OBX LTS/ROTOFAB/HSRK/WHEATLEYTUNE/CTS V BREMBOS/PAT G CAM/RCR AIR RAM /TB

LOOKS:TEIN SPRINGS/FE3/TSW RINGS/BOHNMAN/SPENCER LOW & FOG/HRD DECAL

BEST E.T. AT RPR...12.56@110 ON PACESETTERS AND STOCK MIDPIPE

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect timing, these will go great with the other winter upgrades.

I'll take a set please, funds on the way.
    2009.1 PBM GT
    Performance:
    Baker Engineering Wrenched and Tuned, BMR, Roto-Fab, Magnaflow, Hankook, DBA, Hawk. Kooks, ATI
    Current Numbers: 399 RWHP, 377 RWTQ
    For Show: Crazy Paul parts, RedlineGoods Holden rear armrest, Maverick Man, Lockwood SS V8 gauge face, VG Shark Fin, Black Cat Custom Triple Gauge Faces, CTS-V's

Post Thanks / Like

are you having these made in the DFW area? I'm interested in a set doing my 2nd brembo install on my SRM.
    2009 pacific slate metalic G8 purchased in may 2013. fe3 struts gt springs frt & rear,BMR sway bars frt & Rear,kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers magna flow 3 inch full cat back,camaro deep trans pan 6l90 filter, CTS-v 6 pod frt 4 pod rear working parking brake dimpled and slotted rotors braided lines,rechart 90mm maf housing ceramic coated LS3 maf,rotofab CAI,holden sunshade,front splitter,20x9 chrome camaro wheels 275/30s frt & rear, LSA supercharger
    1996 impala SS 28000 orginal miles
    1994 caprice wagon 383 AFR heads 3:73 with rear impala disc brakes fulll impala interior (this is still my baby)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8Holland View Post
    Perfect timing, these will go great with the other winter upgrades.

I'll take a set please, funds on the way.
    Thank you! Shipped them just now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadie709 View Post
    are you having these made in the DFW area? I'm interested in a set doing my 2nd brembo install on my SRM.
    Unfortunately, no. I was never able to find a local shop who could do it or who was willing to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sent
    2009.5 G8 GXP White Hot 6M, Heads/Cam/Intake/3.91
    515rwhp/477tq SAE Dynojet
    7.518@93.48 1.63 60' +1072 DA (1/8 mile)
    11.815@118.85 1.83 60' +364 DA (1/4 mile)
    CBI Street Cars
    DSX Tuning
    danlewisracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I was never able to find a local shop who could do it or who was willing to do it.
    I had 2 sets made in dallas I was not impressed with there quality or price. They ended up charging me $65 a shoe to line them and I furnised the new cores. So this is a great deal for everyone.
    2009 pacific slate metalic G8 purchased in may 2013. fe3 struts gt springs frt & rear,BMR sway bars frt & Rear,kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers magna flow 3 inch full cat back,camaro deep trans pan 6l90 filter, CTS-v 6 pod frt 4 pod rear working parking brake dimpled and slotted rotors braided lines,rechart 90mm maf housing ceramic coated LS3 maf,rotofab CAI,holden sunshade,front splitter,20x9 chrome camaro wheels 275/30s frt & rear, LSA supercharger
    1996 impala SS 28000 orginal miles
    1994 caprice wagon 383 AFR heads 3:73 with rear impala disc brakes fulll impala interior (this is still my baby)

Post Thanks / Like

Damn. I paid $310 last week. I guess timing is everything.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads