Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: camaro diff installed (alignment issues)

Post Thanks / Like

Question camaro diff installed (alignment issues)

Put my camaro diff in on Friday with a buddy whose a mechanic, it took us about 2.5 hours to do with no breaks, install was pretty straight forward. it rained all day so I didn't get to really play with it. Well today i dropped it off at Firestone to get an alignment, they fixed the front but could not get the rear to factory spec. attached is the printout. they referred me to the dealership or a specialty shop and suggested a new lower control arm may be needed. Has anybody else had this issue?
    Last edited by I'm Holdin'; 04-26-2014 at 05:34 PM.

GM Customer Service GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm Holdin',

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue and may need to visit your local GM dealership. I would be happy to locate and set up an appointment to have your vehicle diagnosed. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
    Available 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday

Check Out the New Owner Center!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Post Thanks / Like

What's the issue? What weren't they able to adjust?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing it was for rear camber or toe. I had a tech shop say something similar on my car once back when it was stock. I dunno if it was because the eccentrics didn't have enough range or because the stock soft bushings don't have enough pressure to press against the tire and get the wheel into correct alignment despite.

When they adjust those eccentrics, they're adjusting the position of the wheel itself and causing it to move. But the tire is under load and doesn't want to move. So the sidewall will stretch to accommodate the wheel movement, but it will also put pressure back on the soft stock bushings. This could cause the adjustments they make to have less of an effect than anticipated. So they try to get 0.6 degrees more negative camber and only get, say, 0.4. Rolling the car back and forth to let the suspension/tire settle to the new position MIGHT help.

Someone with more knowledge than I about suspension and alignments should be able to comment on whether or not what I state above is actually an issue or not.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

align.jpg

sorry bout the title, my 3yr old hit the keyboard.

the rear camber and toe is way off, firestone said they could'nt get it to adjust any further. i'm taking it to do the dealership in the morning. their best alignment guy was off today, so hopefully he can fix it. they mentioned shimming which im not familiar with but they said it would be more expensive if they have to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, doesn't the aftermarket camber bolt kit eliminate this issue? Pedders has them, but you'd have to order them from someone like Crazy Paul in AU. Perhaps Whiteline or someone else has them too. I'm not sure. Eibach may have some too. I think they come in their "Pro Kit".

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    When they adjust those eccentrics, they're adjusting the position of the wheel itself and causing it to move. But the tire is under load and doesn't want to move. So the sidewall will stretch to accommodate the wheel movement, but it will also put pressure back on the soft stock bushings. This could cause the adjustments they make to have less of an effect than anticipated.

Someone with more knowledge than I about suspension and alignments should be able to comment on whether or not what I state above is actually an issue or not.
    Your logic is spot on. But actually you are wrong. alignment racks have pads on them that move so that you don't have to worry about this exact issue. Unless your shop is using an alignment machine from like 1982 then you are pretty much safe from this issie

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

2009.1 PSM GT Sport/Premium Package.
    OBX 1 7/8", 3" to 2.5" X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth, 6k HIDS, VCM OTR
    Rick C Intake and Throttle Body, MM Carbon Fiber Hood, 19x9.5 TSW Nurburgring, Pat G Tuned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE Adam V View Post
    Your logic is spot on. But actually you are wrong. alignment racks have pads on them that move so that you don't have to worry about this exact issue. Unless your shop is using an alignment machine from like 1982 then you are pretty much safe from this issue
    Good to know. So that pretty much narrows it down to...

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Kevin, doesn't the aftermarket camber bolt kit eliminate this issue? Pedders has them, but you'd have to order them from someone like Crazy Paul in AU. Perhaps Whiteline or someone else has them too. I'm not sure. Eibach may have some too. I think they come in their "Pro Kit".
    This. I never tried JUST the eccentrics from Pedders. A combination of Pedders eccentrics AND stiffer rear bushings (in aftermarket control arms) was what did it for me.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tony put in the Eibach eccentrics in mine and it has a mix of poly and rubber in back.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm at stock ride height, should the dealer be able to fix this or do i need the eibach alignment kit?