Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle Related Tune Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Idle Related Tune Question

I am having a problem with my purchased tune, and I am not going to take it back to [butthead] to get it redone. I have HPTuners and a little experience, and I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

The idle is set at 550 rpm which works nicely with my mods and (stock) convertor. The problem is that when I am slowing to a stop, the idle drops below 550 rpm momentarily, and then when the speedo hits zero mph, the idle suddenly jumps back up to 550.

This surge in the idle is disconcerting if you are not ready for it (and even sometimes when you are).

Is there an easy way to identify where to look to correct this issue? I'd be happy if the idle never fell below 550 rpm even when decelerating.

Thanks for any info!
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

Is ct downshift enabled in Tm settings?
    219/223 .625 .625 112, 11.78 @ 119, 440/421, Crawford heads, tb, intake. Kooks 1 3/4 lts and solo Mach balance catted with added Solo resonators, VCM, 3.45's, stock stall.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue. Had Rick Crawford make some changes and it's perfect now. I think your idle is set too low honestly. I'm at 725rpm idle and I have no push on the stock converter.
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

What are the cam specs Tom ?

Can you post a print screen with your MinRAF table ? (Under Engine, Idle, Idle Airflow, Base Running Airflow, Airflow Final Minimum table)
    Also do a compare with your stock tune, or a stock tune for your year model, and see if idle adaptive spark control overspeed and underspeed tables and adaptive idle proportional and integral tables are stock, or where changed in any way. if your cam is not that big, there is no need to play with this tables.

Forgot to add, post a print screen also with your idle spark table, and both the hi and Lo octane table.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 12-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.

2009 G8GT
    Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
    Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS
    1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers
    Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
    HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned
    7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60' Irwindale Dragstrip

Post Thanks / Like

that idle sounds way too low...mine is at 700. No push or surge but Rick had to work some finesse on it so it may not be easy....
    Rick Crawford Racing Top End, Full Bolt-Ons, and PI 2600 Stall
    Current PB: 11.00 @ 125.91 --60' 1.61
    My YouTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Closed throttle downshift is : Throttle only

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - I thought the cam specs were in the signature.

218/226 .595”/.598” 115LSA +4 advance (with 1.7 ratio rockers)
    Comp EPS/EPS lobes 54-000-11 3 bolt cam core/ 146-000-11 single bolt cam core
    13115R/13117R HR115LSA +4 advance (111 installed intake centerline)

I'm going to have to switch hardware if I'm going to do screenshots, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Your cam specs are fairly close to mine (222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3) and mine idles from 670-690. My car has the same issue as yours, so I would not think it is your idle. At times when I come to stop, the rpm's dip below 600 and surge right back up. The tuner (can tune) could never get it right evern after several updates to my tune, so I will be turning to PG this spring to get it right.
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    What are the cam specs Tom ?
    Can you post a print screen with your MinRAF table ?
    ...idle adaptive spark control overspeed and underspeed tables and adaptive idle proportional and integral tables are stock...
    Forgot to add, post a print screen also with your idle spark table, and both the hi and Lo octane table.
    Here are the screenshots: the adaptive tables are stock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, please send me your tune to bluegoat_06@yahoo.com
    I'll create some txt files that you can then import into each of the tables individually, being Hi, Lo and spark base tables, as well as the Min RAF.
    I won't change your timing at all, just the idle cells that were modified, so you can have a more stable idle, with that cam, she should drive like a stock.
    Btw, please set your Min RAF units to g/sec, right now you have it set to display lb/min, in order to do so, open the MinRAF table, right click the table, go to units, and select g/sec [metric default]

Dario.

2009 G8GT
    Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
    Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS
    1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers
    Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
    HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned
    7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60' Irwindale Dragstrip