Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: REDUCING drone! (NOT eliminate)

Post Thanks / Like

Putting it under the butt portion of the back seats is where you will cut a lot of the noise down! The trunk helps some for the noise that drones through the rear speaker shelf but pop the rear seat bottom out and put a layer in and tell me that does not make a difference. It is where a lot of the drone came from on my Trans Am's and any other V8 I have owned.
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!
    http://ohiorides.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167&d=1314562258

Post Thanks / Like

I did the whole enchilada with the mat in the truck. I also lined inside the spare wheel area. I took the plastic inner wheel wells off of the car and undercoated the sheetmetal behind them (this changed things quite a bit by the way). I also sprayed under coat on the outside of the spare housing and the rear bumper area. I even made an insulated cover piece that goes across the opening from the trunk to the interior of the car, so that when passengers are using the fold down arm rest/cup holders, the noise from the exhaust and the wheels is not transmitted to the front. When the armrest is down the opening is still covered inside the trunk.
    The removal of the center muffler and replacing it with an X-Pipe made the biggest difference of all. At the same time of the X-pipe install, we moved the muffler tips from the Magna-flow muffs as far back as we could by moving the mufflers back on the original mounting rubber hangers. This got the shorter MF tips a little further out from under the bumper than they were when I frist put the new mufflers on the car. The noise is now at the back of the car, like it should be and the sound is more of a rumble like a sports car, instead of a hollow noise right at your ear. I like the sound of the G8 now and wish I had the X-pipe done earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

I,too, installed Magnaflow axlebacks to my car and love the sound at open throttle. But the drone around town, not so much. I lined the trunk floor, including the spare tire well, with Fat Mat trunk kit I purchased from Ebay. It's about 1/2 the price of Dynomat. I didn't line the seatback, under the rear seat nor the rear speaker shelf. Then, I got some 1/2" carpet padding from Home Depot and cut a piece to resemble trunk mat. I placed the padding under the trunk mat. I even added some extra inside the spare tire well. All of this helped the drone but it's still there. I was hoping for better results. Maybe, I'll try to put something under the rear seat if it's not a pain to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
    Looks like a few brands need to be brought up to the GRRRR8 crew...

And for an economical solution, www.raamaudio.com. RAAMmat and Ensolite are some of the best values in sound deadening known to the DIYMA community.
    +1 great stuff. The new products are better then some of the products double the price. Great quality at a more entry level price. I have used MANY brands in the past and would stick with raamaudio from now on.
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!

Post Thanks / Like

So after reading all these sound deadening posts whats the verdict? For the guys that did it would you do it again?
    Some people see a big difference others not so much... I'm just trying to figure out what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

You can spend a ton of money and buy a soundproof car. You can deal with the noise levels in your car. Or you can use the sound deadener to help with the noise. It will not get rid of all the noise but it will really cut down the cabin noise a ton. You will still know you have a V8 when you give it the gas, but it will be more timid inside at cruising speeds.
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread I have reconsidered buying Axle backs for my G8. I think I may just take the Corsa route, I have heard many good things about them and it may be worth the money so I don't have to listen to the drone.
    Any advice or information please feel free to tell me.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT- Roto-Fab Intake, Roto-Fab Radiator Cover, Superchips Cortex Tune, Tinted tail lights, Corsa Cat-Back exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Letourneau View Post
    After reading this thread I have reconsidered buying Axle backs for my G8. I think I may just take the Corsa route, I have heard many good things about them and it may be worth the money so I don't have to listen to the drone.
    Any advice or information please feel free to tell me.
    I replaced my magnaflow axle backs with the solo axle backs that have the "J" bend in them. This has eliminated any drone issue I had with the magnaflows. Look into the solos if you want a no drone option. I think they sound better than the magnaflows too. The J bend seems to be the only true fix for the drone issue. Everything else(sound deadening, etc.) treats the symptom and not the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Band-aids, not cures, huh?
    The "Cheap-@ss Modder" and Thread Killer
    Just Sitting The Bench Now
    "Git that boy a cold rag for his head"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I replaced my magnaflow axle backs with the solo axle backs that have the "J" bend in them. This has eliminated any drone issue I had with the magnaflows. Look into the solos if you want a no drone option. I think they sound better than the magnaflows too. The J bend seems to be the only true fix for the drone issue. Everything else(sound deadening, etc.) treats the symptom and not the problem.
    Don had brought to my attention about Solo yesterday I think. You are the first I have been able to talk to that actually has them. Good to know that you do like them and I also really like the fact that they come with 3.5 inch tips to fit in the GXP diffuser nice.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT- Roto-Fab Intake, Roto-Fab Radiator Cover, Superchips Cortex Tune, Tinted tail lights, Corsa Cat-Back exhaust.