Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion to 8-rib serpentine system

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck

Not only does Innovators West make an overpriced product, they also make one that does not fit. I have spent way too much time today messing around with the PS pulley. Doug had a similar issue so I guess I was expecting it. I started pressing it on this morning and could not get it far enough. I pulled it back off and thought maybe it would be one of those push it on and off a few times and I could work it down to where it belongs. I was able to push it down further the second time, but not far enough. When trying to remove it I buckled the push rod of the pulling tool. I switched to the other push bolt and it got so horribly wedged I thought I would never get the puller off. I was able to get the wedges off eventually with cold chisel as a wedge to push them apart. I may be having better luck with the crank pulley puller, but it is still on. If I can get the fricken thing off I guess I can get it machined. If I cant I guess I get to pull the entire pump off and take somewhere. Very frustrating day. I did not think it would get stuck so bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, as it comes, the press-fit is way to high. I measured the pulley that came off to determine the size to bore out the new one to. I also had some of the press length machined off but decided later, I didn't need to take length off. I hope you can get it off and reduce the interference!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot even get the bleeping thing off with a crank damper puller. Some heat did not help. Thinking of cutting the shaft of the power steering pump then drilling the remnants of the shaft out. Then go buy a new pump and get the pulley hub hole widened so it will actually fit. Any other ideas?

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I cannot even get the bleeping thing off with a crank damper puller. Some heat did not help. Thinking of cutting the shaft of the power steering pump then drilling the remnants of the shaft out. Then go buy a new pump and get the pulley hub hole widened so it will actually fit. Any other ideas?
    Wow; that thing must be stuck good. The only other thing that comes to mind is to try again but freeze the pump first, then apply heat to the hub only as much as possible = shaft shrinks, hub expands = reduced interference.

The only other idea is to support the hub somehow (maybe a vise) with the PS pump suspended below and drive the shaft out with a hammer and punch.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sucks, but I'd second both of Doug's ideas... And maybe try it under a shop press, but you'd need to support just the pulley of course...

Or, hit the pulley with some heat, then suspend the pulley (with ps pump hanging below) across a couple steel/iron bars across a vise, spray on some pb blaster or liquid wrench, then zap the shaft with an air hammer a couple times.
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 05-11-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

7. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally Finished

I finally got this job done today. I took it for a test drive and all seems well so far. Here are some final comments to help the next one out:

Lower Idler: (between balancer and alternator) Dayco 89102, smooth, powdered metal, 46mm wide. Machined off ~5mm, used 1 washer behind. - I did not need a washer behind it. It did not rub and seemed well centered without it
    Alternator pulley: Ford 208-14000, Wagner W055-25 machined roughly 5mm off the back of the pulley and boss on the alternator - Boss needed grinding off. No pulley machining needed. The nut is 17 X 1.5. I got a nut and lock washer from Maniac Motors. The bag is marked 85-2701 and may be available elsewhere. I have extras since I had to buy a 4 pack. One is yours for the cost of shipping.
    Power Steering Pulley: Innovators West, part for the Corvette. Had to machine the ID as the press was too high, matched the stock one at 0.667/9 inches. - Get the ID hogged out. If one person has an issue it may be an outlier, when two people do it is a pattern. This issue cost me a new PS pump since I could not get the new hub back off the shaft it was half on. It also ruined an puller/installer tool kit. I painted the face of mine to better fit in with my look. Pluck Innovators West. Thanks to tking for finally separating my PS hub and shaft then making the hole the right size. I had had enough!
    Upper idler (smooth, on blower): Dayco 89094, smooth, plastic, 74mm OD - I had to use a washer here. It rubbed without. An 5/8 SAE flat washer (Hillman 880261 from Lowes fits perfect)
    8-rib tensioner pulley: Dayco 89053, needs one washer behind it. - I did need the same size washer here as above
    Belt, 8-rib, Green Stripe: Gates Fleetrunner K081035HD 104 inch length - [I]Used the Goodyear belt that Doug mentioned above. I have a rattle because the tensioner is hitting the stop. Hopefully the belt will stretch some and the issue will go away, otherwise I may buy a slightly longer belt. I have a 2009.[/I]

I may add more details if I think of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it wrapped up! Sorry you lost the PS pump in the process but you still saved a ton of money over the off-the-shelf kit still. I don't know why IW has such a high interference fit on that shaft; I never followed up with them to ask, just made it work.

Congrats again!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    Glad you got it wrapped up! Sorry you lost the PS pump in the process but you still saved a ton of money over the off-the-shelf kit still. I don't know why IW has such a high interference fit on that shaft; I never followed up with them to ask, just made it work.

Congrats again!
    You have to know that everyone that buys one of their PS pulleys or kits has the same issue. Pretty much the same size shafts on all. If I have to buy an expensive part I expect it to work right. A bit disappointed with IW.

Thanks for posting up the original information. Could not have gotten it done without it!

9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

11. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered an inch longer belt (105.5"). The tensioner is still right up against the stop, better, but still too tight. I wonder if Doug and I have a slightly different tensioner? Everything else should match.

9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq