Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What do I need for Drag Racing? (roll bar rules)

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do I need for Drag Racing? (roll bar rules)

What is not safe about nitrous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    NHRA rule change allows a 2008 vehicle to run 9.99 before Roll bar is needed.
    Not so fast...

The rule includes the word, "unaltered". They managed to be as ambiguous as possible with the wording and left out any hints.

The word on the street is that Tech Inspectors are going to err on the side of caution and follow the letter of the rule.

Stay tuned...
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    I would bet it is only for those cars that can run 11.50 or better from the factory...... it would suck to by a zr1 and cant event take to the track..... those cars are built for high speeds..... I cannot beleive they would let a 2008 ford focus go almost to 9's without at least a cage,..... someone could add crap loads of power to it and it is surely not safe at those speeds....

i really think they will clear up the rule and specify certain cars that truly come from the factory at those speeds.... which arent many!!

either way, I guess i am at 135mph mark so it doesnt really matter anyway....
    The ZR1 and a H/C/I LS3 C6 are the same car. One is as safe or unsafe as the other.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post
    The ZR1 and a H/C/I LS3 C6 are the same car. One is as safe or unsafe as the other.
    not the same car.... many difference... brakes are different, many body panels are different, many other differences that most people dont see....

its not just the engine thats different....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

and i guess comparing the c6 to zr1 wasnt my main point.... even the c6 is darn safe compared to other cars.... c6 is made for speed.... compared to a focus is what i meant... a focus thats modded to go 11 seconds needs extra safety stuff....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80

Post Thanks / Like

You really see a fiberglass car as being safe in a 140 mph rollover?

Post Thanks / Like

not the same car.... many difference... brakes are different, many body panels are different, many other differences that most people dont see....

its not just the engine thats different....
    The brakes really don't matter on a drag strip, after a certain amount of braking power. Race brakes are typically 11", the base Vette has more brake than that.

The body panels mean nothing on a Corvette. The body shell is the same.

Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

The brakes really don't matter on a drag strip, after a certain amount of braking power. Race brakes are typically 11", the base Vette has more brake than that.

not sure what your point is?.... i guess we could start a "whats different between a zr1 and c6"... but i dont think thats necessary... my point was stated in a earlier post... point was trying to highlight that a zr1 is safe at 11.4..... and others are not... (i didnt bring up a c6.... it would also be safe.)... body shell is not the same btw... do you mean frame?... body shell is different in that the zr1 has many carbon fiber panels and c6 doesnt... and there are many more differences that are not highlighted many places unless you know corvette engineers....i guess i will have to tell some of my coherts that they are charging too much for the zr1 cause its basically the same........ again, not the point.... but still i wont sit back and have someone say its the same.... sorry

Post Thanks / Like

just curious where you get your info from?... i love internet info...

just for your information the ZR1 has a aluminum frame structure... and these c6's have steel frame.... i would say that would not be considered the same.... but still.... i wouldnt say it would make the c6 less safe... but just hate people correcting me especially when they are spouting stuff from who knows where...

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what your point is?.... i guess we could start a "whats different between a zr1 and c6"... but i dont think thats necessary... my point was stated in a earlier post... point was trying to highlight that a zr1 is safe at 11.4..... and others are not... (i didnt bring up a c6.... it would also be safe.)... body shell is not the same btw... do you mean frame?... body shell is different in that the zr1 has many carbon fiber panels and c6 doesnt... and there are many more differences that are not highlighted many places unless you know corvette engineers....i guess i will have to tell some of my coherts that they are charging too much for the zr1 cause its basically the same........ again, not the point.... but still i wont sit back and have someone say its the same.... sorry
    My point is that one Corvette is the same as the next, as far as safety.

They all pretty much look like this, don't they?
    http://www.zorly.com/images_corvette...%20z06zone.jpg

Will you be more safe in a ZR1 when you hit the wall at 130MPH, as opposed to a base C6?

Also, you don't agree that drag racing brakes are smaller and lighter than OEM brakes?

Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!