Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIR North Course

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
    Thanks for posting your laps! It's the next best thing to being there for those of us that cannot. What a beautiful place, simply beautiful.
    You are welcome Tony; it is a beautiful track and very well run, making for a safe environment. The video is very helpful for me too in getting to go back and look at what is happening when and learn from it. It also helps in getting my money's worth; I can re-live it over and over!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

He could absolutely drive that thing!
    A great driver is capable of maximizing every inch of the track. Horsepower is capable of only maximizing mainly the straights. That kart over there is a perfect example. It is usually the quickest kart at most every event I have entered, once passing the leader of 125 Lights (the eventual IKF national champion) on the front straight, outweighing him by more than forty pounds. Within two turns he went back by me like I was a street sign. It won National titles in two countries with the previous driver on it, lapping the entire field in the Mexico event. With me driving, it will finish no better than mid-pack in regional events! Driving skill is everything, equipment is secondary where lap time is concerned. Money invested in a driving school is far better than the same money invested in equipment. Said the man who doesn't listen to his own advice...
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 04-09-2012 at 06:41 AM.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A great driver is capable of maximizing every inch of the track. Horsepower is capable of only maximizing mainly the straights. That kart over there is a perfect example. It is usually the quickest kart at most every event I have entered, once passing the leader of 125 Lights (the eventual IKF national champion) on the front straight, outweighing him by more than forty pounds. Within two turns he went back by me like I was a street sign. It won National titles in two countries with the previous driver on it, lapping the entire field in the Mexico event. With me driving, it will finish no better than mid-pack in regional events! Driving skill is everything, equipment is secondary where lap time is concerned. Money invested in a driving school is far better than the same money invested in equipment. Said the man who doesn't listen to his own advice...
    Certainly true Tony! Wow, that's impressive to me that you are finishing mid-pack; pretty intense stuff right there! I wouldn't even get on the track in a race with my skill level! I know what you mean on equipment versus school. I like the power though for just driving around mostly; the track is a relatively new thing for me but tons of fun. I doubt I'll ever do more than a couple HPDE's every year. It takes too much time away from other things!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony, I just remembered I was supposed to ask about the Boss 302 at VIR and I totally forgot! I am so sorry! I'll email them and see if I can find out.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    Tony, I just remembered I was supposed to ask about the Boss 302 at VIR and I totally forgot! I am so sorry! I'll email them and see if I can find out.
    Just found this link; see number 30:
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/vi...l_raceway.html

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Thanks for the link. If you are planning anymore track days you may want to invest in a set of rims and road course tires (if you already haven't done so). It will be much more cost effective in the long run than street tires, and the right rubber makes for a much more enjoyable lap around the track for the first few heat cycles. After a few more heat cycles, they will be a real handful, and that is fun too!
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Thanks for the link. If you are planning anymore track days you may want to invest in a set of rims and road course tires (if you already haven't done so). It will be much more cost effective in the long run than street tires, and the right rubber makes for a much more enjoyable lap around the track for the first few heat cycles. After a few more heat cycles, they will be a real handful, and that is fun too!
    Thanks Tony; I am actually running a dedicated set of wheels/tires. I have a set of Beyern 18's I bought on the forum with a set of Potenza RE-01's (255/35/18) that are decently sticky once they get warm. A nice thing about these is that they squeal before letting go and that's a good thing for a rookie like me! I've probably got another event or two in them and plan to go to full out race tires after that. One thing I noticed in this event is that tire pressure makes a huge difference in traction (which I knew already but got another experiential reminding this time); I remembered after the second session to check my tire pressure and it was 35-37 psi. I dropped them to 28 front and 31 rear for the last two sessions and they were much better!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also running Carbotech race pads (RP2 front, XP10 rear) and they do a great job stopping the car. One good critique from my instructor was that the car has great brakes and I need to learn to use them better which means shorter, harder braking!

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of camera setup were you using?
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
    What kind of camera setup were you using?
    I used a CruiseCam mount that attaches to the headrest supports on the pass side (http://www.markertek.com/Digital-Vid...RUISECAM.xhtml) with my Sony Handycam HDR-CX110. I put two layers of Scotch tape across the mic to attenuate some of the wind noise. Rick made a good observation that I might be able to reposition it a bit and pick up what's behind me in my rearview mirror. I will try attaching it to my headrest next time to see if I can make this happen. I also used Harry's Laptimer on my iPhone for the last session but haven't had time to try to get the data out yet (got to finish a take home midterm exam for Old Testament Theology!).