Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modded and Warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Like has been asked, are you gonna mod if you buy stock? If so, IMO someone else has done the work already for you and you get to reap the benefits without the legwork. If you wouldnt mod anyway, then stock is probably the better option. Again, JMO. Good luck either way!
    Roto-Fab CAI, 25% UDP, "TR Blower" - 214/230 .601/.579 117 LSA, DOD Delete, Kooks LTH's, Kooks catted x-pipe, Kooks axle-backs, DMH electric cutouts, a little shot (ok, maybe not so little) of happy juice and tune by Tony G. @ HP Performance.

Post Thanks / Like

If you save the original ECM numbers you can flash it to stock numbers before you take it to the dealer.
    2009 G8 GT White Hot; Onyx/Red; Premium/Sport
    Vararam, Kooks LTH and High flow X-pipe, Ported TB, Fasterproms HP tuned, Dynomax VT mufflers
    Best Quarter mile: 12.875 @ 108.7 mph

1968 Firebird 400 4 spd. ; Too much to list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Find one to drive without the mods, then drive one with the mods. You may change your opinion!
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

You can always buy it and put it back to stock if you like the car. I know a guy that would trade you his exhaust manifolds and stock cats for your Kooks setup.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Disclaimer: Copied from another forum, not my words. But they are correct.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act
    The Federal Trade Commission has enacted a law which protects consumers from discrimination when dealing with aftermarket products and new vehicle warranties. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act states that the original vehicle manufacturer’s warranty shall not be voided if a properly functioning aftermarket product is installed on your vehicle. If a dealership raises the red flag, direct the dealer representative to the Federal Trade Commission regarding the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act. For more information about this law and your rights as an aftermarket consumer, visit www.ftc.gov (http://www.ftc.gov/) or contact the vehicle manufacturer. SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) is also very active in protecting aftermarket consumer rights. Please visit the official SEMA website at www.sema.org (http://www.sema.org/) for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

^+1 However, why not let him detune it now, see the difference, and retune if he wants it. Apprearently, this is the major issue with the warranty. The other items GM would not be responsible for anyway. CAI, should not be a problem.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Talk to the dealer you would have warranty work done and ask.
    +1....+1....+1 Best advice I have seen for this..... If you explain to dealer what is going on and be honest and ask them their stance on things.... I have a awesome dealer that is good with all you have described.... now I went too far as many of us have, but for me it is worth the risk!!! I am paying big time for it, but still worth it to me..... I wonder if maybe you can get the tune and have some of the guys on here review it to make sure it is not all screwed up.... and see what they think how aggressive this guy went with it.... if he went to far with the tune he could have screwed up some things....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Talk to the dealer you would have warranty work done and ask.
    EXACTLY ^^^
    All dealers handle this differently. The dealership that I use is mod friendly. I have had work done with the tune still in.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

08 MGM GT
    Post Thanks / Like

See if your dealer has a policy about mods. soup070---- check your PMs.

Post Thanks / Like

Your dealer can't have a policy against or for mods. They have to fix any problem not caused directly by your modifications, it's the law. They give you crap about it, and you call the FTC. If they say they have a policy against mods, you remind them of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, and tell them to fix the problem.