Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My backup camera install

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have horizontal "static" lines running across the screen when the motor is running? I installed the Gentex mirror with the integral backup display. Initially I ran the cable along the passenger side of the car and got "static" with the engine running. Engine off things were clear as a bell. I then went to an Audiovox wireless receiver/transmitter pair like the boyo and got even more interference with the engine running. I then went back to the 20ft extension cable and moved it all around the car and no matter what I did, I still got the horizontal interference. This is even with ferrite chokes installed close to the rearview mirror display and at the camera end. Just for the record, I'm using the Boyo 300C.
    Solo cat back exhaust, Rotofab intake, HSRK, VMS tune, Lovells Eliminator struts/shocks springs, Pedders sway bars, long gone Spohn front LCAs, GPS center stack trim

Rule #1 - Cardio
    Zombies lead a very active lifestyle. So should you.

Post Thanks / Like

GRRRR8 right up LDM. I'm still wanting to do something like this and this only helps me think I should.
    Do you have to push the Aux button every time you back up to see the video? It wont automatically switch from radio face to back up camera? Do you loose the radio when backing up?
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vegas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghodge View Post
    Do you have horizontal "static" lines running across the screen when the motor is running? I installed the Gentex mirror with the integral backup display. Initially I ran the cable along the passenger side of the car and got "static" with the engine running. Engine off things were clear as a bell. I then went to an Audiovox wireless receiver/transmitter pair like the boyo and got even more interference with the engine running. I then went back to the 20ft extension cable and moved it all around the car and no matter what I did, I still got the horizontal interference. This is even with ferrite chokes installed close to the rearview mirror display and at the camera end. Just for the record, I'm using the Boyo 300C.
    I haven't noticed any static, though I haven't used it all that much yet. The picture I took of the screen was with the engine running.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    GRRRR8 right up LDM. I'm still wanting to do something like this and this only helps me think I should.
    Do you have to push the Aux button every time you back up to see the video? It wont automatically switch from radio face to back up camera? Do you loose the radio when backing up?
    If I'm listening to the radio, a CD, or Front Aux and want to see the camera, I have to manually push the Aux button. If I was already in Rear Aux, then I wouldn't have to touch anything, just put it in reverse and the camera image would pop up. The way it is right now I don't have any audio hooked up to my Rear Aux so if I were to switch to it, I'd lose all sound. Ultimately, I hope Demon 8 releases this: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=26768, in which case I'd have the video from my iPod going to the aux input on my wireless receiver, and the sound going to my currently unused Rear Aux audio cables on my head unit. In that situation I'd probably leave the radio in Rear Aux all the time. It would normally display the video out of the iPod, but when I shift to reverse it would auto-switch to the backup camera. Any music playing would be unaffected. Now I just need VIM.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

I sooo wanna do this, after driving all the new GM's with the camera's in the mirror's I'm addicted, soo easy to parallel park.

-Ryan
    2008 G8 GT IOM

Livernois Stage 1 cam, Livernois ported heads with CNC valve job, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Magnaflow axle backs, Fast LSXR, Roto-fab CAI, 160 thermostat, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR rear diff. bushings and H&R springs. Tuned by RPM 428.34 hp and 406.44tq. Best time of 12.36@114.9 on Street tires.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I installed a boyo VL375 few weeks back. I ran the wire through a existing hole between the back-up lights. From there I ran inside the lid along the passenger side and snaked through the existing rubber conduit.
    new2760.jpg
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    FWIW, I installed a boyo VL375 few weeks back. I ran the wire through a existing hole between the back-up lights. From there I ran inside the lid along the passenger side and snaked through the existing rubber conduit.
    That's where I was going to run the wire until I realized the hole behind the plate worked and hid the wire better. Once inside the trunk lid I followed the same path as you. Did you drill holes for the bottom two bolts on the frame? It would've been easy enough to do but I was just concerned with creating a possible rust source further down the road, which is why I did what I did. I may end up changing it and drilling the holes later though.
    Len

TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no additional holes, like you... just a source for rust.

I bolted the frame to the plate only. Had some thin (stop) nuts that I used, trimmed the bolts flush with the nut then used a small section of heater hose around the nut as a standoff.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

LDM,
    Did you see my earlier post? Any answers to my questions?
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vegas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    LDM,
    Did you see my earlier post? Any answers to my questions?
    Did you see post #13? I tried to answer it.
    Len

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghodge View Post
    Just an update, now that I've used it a little bit, I do occasionally get these static lines. They seem to come and go, so I'm not sure about the cause. I don't use it enough for it to bother me yet.
    Len