Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: front strut mount question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soup070 View Post
    **ALSO, no matter what mileage your at besure to have a new set of struts ready to put on. I put on FE3, why go though all that work and not change out the dampers with everything apart. Mine were totally shot.
    Good point! ..if youre already in there might as well replace them
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRR8GT View Post
    I have them on my G8. No issues with the bushing. Comes with grease and metal strut shaft bushing. The original G8 OEM bearing fits but the GM 92249441 does not so I would be sure to order it with bearings.
    thanks for the reply and the info.. better to ask around first and learn from others. over the years I've owned my G8 I've got answers here I can't find anywhere else since these cars are uncommon. Read somewhere else that 95% didn't notice a difference in the ride of the car. i was concerned being poly the car could ride harsh. thanks again
    1979 Camaro Berlinetta Camel Metallic
    2003 Monte Carlo SS Victory Red
    1992 Towncar Signature Series Gray Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman View Post
    thanks for the reply and the info.. better to ask around first and learn from others. over the years I've owned my G8 I've got answers here I can't find anywhere else since these cars are uncommon. Read somewhere else that 95% didn't notice a difference in the ride of the car. i was concerned being poly the car could ride harsh. thanks again
    I've heard people complain about the harsher ride when going to poly, but I simply don't notice it. The car was still more than comfy enough for my wife, son and I to take 3 hours to WI last fall.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soup070 View Post
    I've heard that the SuperPro is a little softer poly, and if you look at the pictures has outer ribs that lock tight to the under fender. I replaced mine at the beginning of the month with Whiteline polys/bearings and boy I can finally turn my wheel with one hand again. I was at 54k and the v-gap was completely collapsed on one another on the mount. The ride feels pretty much the same, the only thing I'm not liking is because poly is so much harder than the oem rubber when leaving an unleveled surface the top mount has some play. My guess it the rubber stuck tight to the bottom molding to the bottom fender and was quiet with play where as the poly being stiff moves and knocks at low speeds. Otherwise I wouldn't replace with oem at all.

**ALSO, no matter what mileage your at besure to have a new set of struts ready to put on. I put on FE3, why go though all that work and not change out the dampers with everything apart. Mine were totally shot.
    how much did you pay for struts? Mine has such low miles and last month I test drove a C7 Stingray. On one hand I hate to give up my G8 but I've always wanted a Corvette. I can't make up my mind I want both but there is no way that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I've heard people complain about the harsher ride when going to poly, but I simply don't notice it. The car was still more than comfy enough for my wife, son and I to take 3 hours to WI last fall.
    aren't these like a hybrid material?

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

PPVs are like $250 a set from Amazon when I got mine a couple months ago. Fe3 are a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth my G8 had less than 10,000 miles when I changed the bushings and struts. The struts had nothing wrong with them but they were underdamped from the start and let the car wallow at speed. I had a set of Pedders GSR struts and springs I put on. About 30% stiffer spring rate and more dampening. Its a good set-up with a firmer ride but still reasonable on the highway. The factory rubber bushings already had a 1/4" gap and the nubs on top were almost worn off. As the OP said the SuperPro bushings seemed to lock right into the ridges in the inner fender. A much better design with a metal bearing holder. They do transmit a bit more of the ripple type pavement roughness into the driveline but it is not unbearable at all. And on the topic of C7 vettes my next door neighbor has one and while it is a great sports car I am with you and would want both. I could not give up my sports sedan that travels with 5 people and 2 (small)dogs comfortably for a car that holds 2 people. But that's just me.
    09 GT PBM Base,6K HID's and relay harness, Homelink in visor, sport pedals, GXP rear valance, Pontiac trunk liner
    Infinity's in doors, Kickers on Deck powered by EXILE and 16OHM center spkr, 40' of dynamat, Weathertech floor liners
    20" Rial Porto's with 245R35 front and 275R30 rear Sumutimo HTRIII's and CTS-V Brembo calipers with DBA Rotors and SS lines.
    Pedders GSR struts with OEM height Sport Ryder Springs and SuperPro bushings. DOD deleted.
    Solo HFC's with Mach Balanced w/J pipes and resonators + 3.5" tips, Harrop Enhanced Performance with EPS custom cam
    Tuned by Patrick G. and cooled by B&M
    "Jack"
    winter 2015 mods....TBD

New DD 2013 Buick Regal GS, Diamond White, IPF Tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Freeman View Post

aren't these like a hybrid material?
    There are many different types of poly. I would have to assume they're using a softer poly. I would call BMR or shoot SuperPro a message directly.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRR8GT View Post
    For what its worth my G8 had less than 10,000 miles when I changed the bushings and struts. The struts had nothing wrong with them but they were underdamped from the start and let the car wallow at speed. I had a set of Pedders GSR struts and springs I put on. About 30% stiffer spring rate and more dampening. Its a good set-up with a firmer ride but still reasonable on the highway. The factory rubber bushings already had a 1/4" gap and the nubs on top were almost worn off. As the OP said the SuperPro bushings seemed to lock right into the ridges in the inner fender. A much better design with a metal bearing holder. They do transmit a bit more of the ripple type pavement roughness into the driveline but it is not unbearable at all. And on the topic of C7 vettes my next door neighbor has one and while it is a great sports car I am with you and would want both. I could not give up my sports sedan that travels with 5 people and 2 (small)dogs comfortably for a car that holds 2 people. But that's just me.
    for us thou it's just my girlfriend and myself. I don't have children and my GF has one that will be 23 next month, she's in SC about 8 hours away, so a Corvette would work but I'd still miss the G8 now if I had a larger garage..