Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Not the best first outting on new turbo setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not the best first outting on new turbo setup

Took it to the track for the first time last weekend and wasn't a good time. Made 2 passes first pass I locked the converter as soon as I let off the brake and car fell on it's face and then half way down the track it started detonating and pulled 24 degrees timing, felt like I hit the brakes, ran a 10.4@138, made a couple changes to the tune and made another pass and again locked the converter way to soon and bogged the car down, this time didn't make it half way down and got detonation again so loud I could hear it pinging so I let out so I wouldn't damage anything, went 10.4@113 Got to the end of the track and noticed it was running pretty bad. Pulled and couple plugs and found a melted plug on cylinder 5 so called it a night. Tore it apart the next day and found a hole in the exhaust valve. So I order new valves for it and put it back together and did a compression check and found low compression still on cylinder 5, So I pulled the motor and found a damaged top ring and bad piston. So I got together with Rick C and Adam from Ace and got a game plan together. Rush ordered a forged crank, turbo rods, custom piston and took block to the machine shop, hopefully will have the parts buy next weekend and have it back together by the next week and get it back to the track. Made a change to the way my fuel lines were run and different plugs will hopefully fix the issue. Here is a pic of the valve and the 2 runs

http://vid85.photobucket.com/albums/...pspkuaqgn4.mp4
    http://vid85.photobucket.com/albums/...psmrb8o4ql.mp4
    09 G8GT RC custom cam , RC heads with ls9 valves, RC ported throttle body, ctsv racing lifters, ls7 Maf,Custom twin 67mm turbo kit, Shorty headers, Solo 3 inch exhaust, 3.45 gears, CTSV pump, Vaporworx controller,BAP, RC ported intake with direct port nitrous kit, New PB????
    9.97@136

Post Thanks / Like

It's all gonna come together
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Damn! That suck.
    At least it shit the piece out and didn't smash against the head. That would have been very very bad.
    So it sucks but could be worse.
    Strong bottom end and it will kill. Hope it all works out.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that blows. But, at least the damage was minimal. Still ran damn good considering...
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    Vararam, PaceSetter, Magnaflow, Comp, Pac, Yank
    11.95 @ 116.64

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Could definitely hear the change going down the track. It will come together soon

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. Good luck on the rebuild. Taking the top spot is never easy.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.