Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Grand Prix vs G-8 3.6-V6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Prix vs G-8 3.6-V6

Hi: A friend is considering replacing his '05 V-6 Honda Accord with a G-8(He has heard that Honda's quality is no longer that good,tranny problems with V-6 being the big one so far, his car is at 120,00km's,75,000 miles).He owned 2 GP's before the Honda both were less than reliable('97 GTP was total garbage in 12,000 miles/20,000km's(64,00km's-85,000km's) spent over $2,00,the 2001 GT was better,however at 88,000km's catalytic converter, and left side transaxle went! So in the last few years has GM improved their quality enough to take a risk on the G-8,given that it is still somewhat unproven to this point(I know it has been out in Europe for a few years). He really likes the way the G-8 drives and the safety features(Would be buying the 3.6 as if gas goes way back up....). Also since he lives in Canada how is the car in the snow(Would buy good snow tires and rims)Thanks for any feedback it is much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that GM does not build the car. It's made in Australia by Holden Motors. I'll go out on a limb here as the first responder and say the 2008 & 2009 G8 GT's I have are obviously made by some guys in Oz that take pride in the work. There have been a few problems for some people, but the 2008 made it to 11,000 miles without a single trip to the dealer or any other shop. Zero problems until the bitter end. The 2009 looks and feels even better so far, & they made a few little changes in minor things like how the doors lock when you drive. They seem to have taken notice of minor complaints on the 2008's and addressed them for the '09MY. If I have a choice, I will never own any other car not made in Oz.

And that's the truth!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of winter driving threads around here. Long story short, get winter tires, use your brain when driving and you'll be fine.
    2009 G8 GT::Panther Black

Post Thanks / Like

Having owned two Holdens, I LOVE THESE CARS! Never owned another GM product in 30 yrs of automobile ownership!

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

If he can wait till the '10 model year, the V6 is supposed to be upgraded to the DI 3.6. 40 more horsepower (give or take) and likely better gas mileage.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    If he can wait till the '10 model year, the V6 is supposed to be upgraded to the DI 3.6. 40 more horsepower (give or take) and likely better gas mileage.
    Agreed, I think the highway fuel economy is supposed to be 26 or 27, hopefully they will add a 6 speed too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobid77 View Post
    Agreed, I think the highway fuel economy is supposed to be 26 or 27, hopefully they will add a 6 speed too.
    I got 26.9 mpg in mine with the 6.0L motor driving to Brooklyn NY (200 miles) going about 65-70 mph (following a slow pickup). I think your mileage is more how you drive than whether you have the V6 or the V8. I drove the V6 at the dealers and it felt sluggish to me (no offense to any V6 owners here). I don't think there is a huge difference in the mileage numbers between the V6 and the V8.
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Stealth VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Vararam Ram Air, VMS HSRK, Front Panel Mod, axle-back straight pipes with capped Helmholtz chamber.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely attest to the fact that it's more about how you drive than anything else as far as gas mileage is concerned. I have run down to long island a few times now getting 23-24mpg with cruise on 72 the whole time. I've gotten around pretty well here in Rochester, NY even with the summer tires in the snow. Before i get flamed, i know i know i'm asking for problems, but thankfully winter is almost over.

Reliability will only get better with time. If you're expecting a car that will be perfect, i hope you're that one lucky person out of 1000 that doesn't have to bring the car to the shop lol. I'm sure it will be only minor little issues if anything, this whole platform seems like a very solid design, and the engine is a proven winner.

With this being my first impression of how Holden makes cars, i would give it an A+, just looking over a new car sometimes you see a little stray glue strings (like i had on an altima i leased back in 05 for a while), or some other things just aren't aligned properly, but the car is just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Prix vs G-8 Update

Hi: Thanks for the information so far. He is leaning towards buying the Honda Accord at the end of his lease a first call to Honda Canada to lower buy-back on lease was unsuccessful,he is seeing what GM will offer to lure him back to try out a G-8!! Right now the difference between the 2 cars is $11,000 + interest if that can be lower(Given Honda's transmission poor history) to say $8,000-$9,000+ interest then he might do it.Thanks for your help will keep you guys posted

P.S Does anyone know what GM employee pricing does to the price in Canada.PM me if you are willing to help.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default G-8 Back in the mix!

Hi: My friend spoke with his insurance company and going from Accord to the G-8 is only $63 more for the whole year. Also to this point Honda Canada is unwilling to negotiate on the buy-back on the lease(regardless that it is $3,500 higher than car is worth!!!!,friend feels that since they are going to lose the $$$$ at the auction why not save him the money!!!) .Also got a letter from gm offering $500-$1,500 back ON top of current offers!!! So with all this happening he his rethinking buying the Honda and giving GM another chance!!Take care everyone