Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '99 Yukon 4x4 front brakes

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the advise. I was in town Sunday morning getting new brake fluid, when the road engineer I work for called and said I needed to go remove a slide from a main haul road. Never got a chance to do the brakes yet. Probably will try for Saturday. So if you guys think of anything else,you have time to tell me.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake caliper follow-up
    Well I finally got around to flushing the brake fluid last weekend, after the bleeder valves had 2 weeks to soak in Blaster. The back went good, and the passenger front was still pretty tight. It loosened with just a little more muscle. I had my wife press the pedal at each front just before bleeding and the piston movement was so slow, I was expecting to rebuild. The driverside front was really stuck. I was thinking,” Don’t break it” as it snapped off flush with the caliper. Broke the easy-out off also. Went from a rebuild to replacement. Other than spraying down more before removal, anything else I should have tried before the doubled wrench? Actually preferred the replacement to rebuilding myself. (Warranty was better than the one I offered)
    Changed clothes, jumped into the G8, and zipped off to town. The day was looking better again.
    Finished the bleeding when I got back. Just left the line banjo fitting in the Mason jar, and went until clear. Put that new caliper on DF. Since I hadn’t done the 2nd round of bleeding, I didn’t bleed the new caliper yet. I may have wasted brake fluid, since I took each wheel to clear before I went to the next, and then did the sequence again.
    I learned when I did the front, that having a trouble light behind the mason jar eliminated the frame and dirt colors from showing through the fluid, so I could see when the fluid was clean. The second round of bleeding I figured would be a good check. (Also in case you meant that each wheel 2 times was a 2nd time around). If a little is good, more is better right? I did get a little more color out of the rear brakes. I ended up using one quart sized bottle and less than a cup of the next. (Same brand, both new). I got the calipers for $18 ea. With my company discount, the fluid I can’t remember how much but I figure since my son had a shop do his Jeep Grand Cherokee’s front calipers for $257, it was pretty cheap. Around $50 and a drive in “Zippy”.
    The advice from you guys = “PRICELESS”

Test drive with 40-mph hard stops. I only heard the ABS pump up during the 2nd hard stop. Thanks for telling me what I should listen for Charlie. If I had heard that without knowing it was coming, I’m sure you would have had to diagnose this mysterious noise when I was braking hard. Brakes feel great. 40-0 just under a 3 one thousand count, and stopping distance from 45-0, approximately 4 Yukon lengths.
    Sidenote- My wife’s right leg was aching her the next day. She thought it was from an extra hard Zumba workout. I didn’t dare tell her differently. She was a great help with the bleeding.