Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Head/cam g8 package!!!hurray!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I Believe u 100 percent that's why I'm trying go think of evertything I can do to extract all the horsepower out of this motor without stroking it ..I think u pushed ur limits unless u get some aftermarket heads and a bigger cam maybe I think we have strong motors as it sits but what else we can do to make it all count ???? And what's ur idea or thought on the 112+4 lsa people telling me to go higher around 114/115is it true it's better for our motors or is it a choice really I had 112 lsa in my goat and my friends vettes and ws6 run ever lower
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

I'm posting this with the best intentions, and not trying to sound like an ass, FYI.

Man, if you're going for highest hp then go for it, who am I to tell you how to build or brag about your car. BUT, the way you're going about this is kind of "blow hard-ish" if you don't mind me saying.

With that size cam on that LSA, you're looking at needing to run a fairly sizeable stall, which eats up power, thus hurting your chances of being the "dyno king". Now if you go no stall or small stall, all you're going to have are "dyno king" numbers, because the car's going to be a dog off the line, and you're going to get a first hand look/feel of CAM LAG with a donkey dick bumpstick like the one you want.

As for the heads, as Andy@Livernois stated already, GM did a fantastic job of R&D on the L92 head, and it's hard to improve on it as is. CNC'ing is a good option, but I don't think you're going to be getting the 30+hp over a standard worked over (valve job, maybe milled) unported set of L92s.

Another thing, I see gears in your sig as another future mod.....also another thing that eats into your planned "dyno king" numbers.

If you are dead set on having the highest hp number that's fine, but keep in mind it'll be the highest @ PEAK, that doesn't mean that it'll be the most powerfull under the curve where races are won/lost. A properly setup combo with plenty of power from 2500-redline will hand a peak hp setup'd car it's ass on a 'strip. Having a high or highest dyno #s DOESN'T automatically translate into low ET/high MPH in the 1/4.

That's why all the MS4 cammed LS1 fbodies that get romped on by a Torquer 2 cammed LS1, they ask "How'd you beat me, I got a WAY bigger cam and better dyno #?" I speak from experience!
    Last edited by '02 ws6; 08-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great post! Couldn't have said it better!

Quote Originally Posted by '02 ws6 View Post
    I'm posting this with the best intentions, and not trying to sound like an ass, FYI.

Man, if you're going for highest hp then go for it, who am I to tell you how to build or brag about your car. BUT, the way you're going about this is kind of "blow hard-ish" if you don't mind me saying.

With that size cam on that LSA, you're looking at needing to run a fairly sizeable stall, which eats up power, thus hurting your chances of being the "dyno king". Now if you go no stall or small stall, all you're going to have are "dyno king" numbers, because the car's going to be a dog off the line, and you're going to get a first hand look/feel of CAM LAG with a donkey dick bumpstick like the one you want.

As for the heads, as Andy@Livernois stated already, GM did a fantastic job of R&D on the L92 head, and it's hard to improve on it as is. CNC'ing is a good option, but I don't think you're going to be getting the 30+hp over a standard worked over (valve job, maybe milled) unported set of L92s.

Another thing, I see gears in your sig as another future mod.....also another thing that eats into your planned "dyno king" numbers.

If you are dead set on having the highest hp number that's fine, but keep in mind it'll be the highest @ PEAK, that doesn't mean that it'll be the most powerfull under the curve where races are won/lost. A properly setup combo with plenty of power from 2500-redline will hand a peak hp setup'd car it's ass on a 'strip. Having a high or highest dyno #s DOESN'T automatically translate into low ET/high MPH in the 1/4.

That's why all the MS4 cammed LS1 fbodies that get romped on by a Torquer 2 cammed LS1, they ask "How'd you beat me, I got a WAY bigger cam and better dyno #?" I speak from experience!

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

I've changed my cam around a little so that's all good now. Based on xharlies specs but thanks for all the input guys I'm really a track guy I want to break my goal of 11.7 that's all I see the cam I originally had wasn't that great huh

2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

If you took Charlie's advice on the cam then you're already going in the right direction. Charlie's setup with strip in mind, which is why his cam/heads/stall are a GRRRR8 combo, and were matched together with that in mind. His stall speed mates right in with the powerband of his cam and with his heads/ported intake, which is the BEST way to setup a combo.
    BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct sir. Everything is based on all the componets on the car. Once Patrick gets his hands on it expect to see some REAL #s...........FINALLY.

Oh and then theres that nitrous thing too.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

If you took Charlie's advice on the cam then you're already going in the right direction. Charlie's setup with strip in mind, which is why his cam/heads/stall are a GRRRR8 combo, and were matched together with that in mind. His stall speed mates right in with the powerband of his cam and with his heads/ported intake, which is the BEST way to setup a combo.
    BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104
    How's ur iron block comin along ??and what the future of ur g8 gonna be?cam mayb
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    Correct sir. Everything is based on all the componets on the car. Once Patrick gets his hands on it expect to see some REAL #s...........FINALLY.

Oh and then theres that nitrous thing too.
    When are u ready for the track?? And how much of a shot u thinking for the track??150?
    2008 G8 GT
    Birth-9-19-08
    Death-3-20-12-Accident

My Baby is Gone

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its ready on motor now. There is just more power in the tune. I will get all the nitrous done when I get back from NY around Labor Day. Only 100 shot ........so far.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic2186 View Post
    How's ur iron block comin along ??and what the future of ur g8 gonna be?cam mayb
    Well I never really updated my thread for my new motor, I was getting it through Schwanke, but I had an unplanned occurrence financially and had to forego the 427. I bought an LS6 instead and will be running it with my Pat G cam, TSP STG 2.5 heads, and my ported FAST 92.

As for the G8, it's the wifey's DD, so the mods are limited, the only extensive mod she agreed to let me do was a Maggie, but that's out of my price range right now.