Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Rear Sway Bar Bracket Problem - Permanent Fix!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear Sway Bar Bracket Problem - Permanent Fix!

As many of you know, I spend some time on road courses with my G8. I have BMR sway bars front and back; that has led to breaking the rear sway bar brackets several times. Rick Crawford has helped me out by welding gussets to make the stock ones stronger and they would take much more abuse before giving up, but even then, the little tab that holds one side in the slot on the subframe broke. This last break was just before an event at VIR so I had my suspension shop weld up some strap iron around the brackets to act like suspenders and this lasted a long time. Unfortunately, the sway bar itself eventually broke and I had to grind all that off and figure out what to do next. Before I elaborate further, let me say that Kyle at BMR got me a warranty replacement for the bar even though I have had it, shall we say, quite some time! Great customer service!

I talked to Rick about it, and he proposed just making a new mount that would allow the use of a standard bracket for round track cars. With his inspiration, I went to work and found a bracket and bushing set from Energy Suspension that fit the BMR bar perfectly (7/8" diameter)! The part number for the greaseable set is 9.5158R so I bought those. I made the trip down to Rick's yesterday and found some 1/8 inch steel he had lying around and cut out a couple pieces to lay over the mount area on the subframe. I drilled a couple holes in each plate, one for the top bolt that has the welded nut behind the existing mount, and another one that would match up the new brackets so I could put a bolt through it with a nut behind it. Rick welded both of them up for me and you can see what that looks like below.

Brought the car home, painted the new mount area today and bolted it up! Worked like a charm! My thanks to Rick for what I believe will be a permanent solution!

This is a nice DIY project and it not too difficult as long as you can weld or know someone who can!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

2. Thanks travis gore, morpheousssv, Bill Brollier thanked for this post
    Likes morpheousssv, TooManyHobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

4. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Doug. You always find the weak points in our cars. LOL Keep it up.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work! Let us know how it holds up. I don't see the BMR subframe brace would that have helped here?
    2009.5 G8 GXP White Hot 6M, Heads/Cam/Intake/3.91
    515rwhp/477tq SAE Dynojet
    7.518@93.48 1.63 60' +1072 DA (1/8 mile)
    11.815@118.85 1.83 60' +364 DA (1/4 mile)
    CBI Street Cars
    DSX Tuning
    danlewisracing.com

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Nice work Doug. You always find the weak points in our cars. LOL Keep it up.
    Thanks! I don't plan to break stuff, but it does happen!

Quote Originally Posted by cynic783 View Post
    Very nice work! Let us know how it holds up. I don't see the BMR subframe brace would that have helped here?
    I don't think so, but can't be sure. The subframe brace (if I'm thinking of the right part) does tie both side of the car together in the middle but I doubt it's going to do much good at holding the suspension flat (opposing twisting) which is what stresses the small stock sway bar brackets we have.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

mighty fine.

I have to ask - what rubber are you running on the car, and what sway bar settings?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    mighty fine.

I have to ask - what rubber are you running on the car, and what sway bar settings?
    No problem! I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DR R-comp slicks 275/35/R18's and full stiff on the sway bar, so yeah, it sees some stress for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    No problem! I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DR R-comp slicks 275/35/R18's and full stiff on the sway bar, so yeah, it sees some stress for sure!
    thanks I feel better. I dont' put comp tires on my car - and probably won't. but I also don't run full stiff either.

also curious - have you had to re-replace your FE3's yet?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    thanks I feel better. I dont' put comp tires on my car - and probably won't. but I also don't run full stiff either.

also curious - have you had to re-replace your FE3's yet?
    Yes I have; I just replaced them in Feb/March this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah had similar issues with the front sway bar some years back, also BMR and ALSO Rick looked after me with some reinforced triangular u mounting brackets. Been fantastic ever since, and this PPE cops a hiding at times
    Highly recomend BMR Suspension to ALL
    11.255 @ 119.95 MPH 1.54 60' (N/a) updated 18/12/2015

10:87 @ 127.73 MPH 1.5 60' (N2o) updated 13/01/2016

13. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post