PDA

View Full Version : Yikes.brakes brakes, ON-Star call

Struggle
08-24-2009, 05:55 AM
I was coming home on I-29 yesterday heading north to home in the construction zone the traffic is two-way on the south bound lanes and the was a guy changing a flat tire that was going south on the side of the road.

A load of people heading north passed him and decided they were going to help this guy out or maybe was a family or friends there to help him. So they were going north and pulled to the side of the road. I was heading north and was dropped back from a Dodge Shadow in front of me when all of a sudden the car that pulled off the road decided to U-TURN in this construction zone to double back to the guy with the flat tire.

The Dodge Shadow nailed the car right in front of me at 55 mph at least completely T-boned it. The Shadow guy head kissed the windshield. His arm was all cut etc. The people in the car making the U-turn semed Ok.

I was very thankful that I laid back driving through that area as I was able to pull right to a stop and not have the 100 cars behind smacking me in the back end. Speed limit in that construction zone was 55 and that was I set the cruise at.

What was cool though was I called the On-star and they were immediately able to dispatch law enforcement to the scene. It was south of a town on the interstate but with the GPS stuff they were able I would guess to tell the state patrol guy exactly what mile mark we were at I am guessing. Not sure if they can send the location directly to a patrol unit via On-Star but it did not take long for the m to get there.

That was the first time I had ever used the On-Star feature and can see how good it can work for a situation like that. All the people at the time I left refused treatment but I bet they are incredibly sore today. Both cars were totaled.

bracketracer
08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad you weren't caught up in the wreck!