PDA

View Full Version : back from LIVERNOIS

edmanet
08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I got my 3.27 diff and a new converter installed. The "new" single disc converter feels much better driving on the street and the highway. There doesn't seem to be anymore jerkiness between 55 and 70mph.

The gears really woke the car up. My car now takes off better. At least by the seat of the pants. And John, if its 90 degrees out I'm NOT going to the track this weekend. LOL

On the way to LIVERNOIS I averaged 24.2mpg on the 540 mile trip. On the way home I averaged 22.6 mpg. Besides having a 3.27 diff, I think part of the mpg difference was caused by traffic and I drove at higher speeds to make up for the lost time in traffic. My tach was over 2000rpms a lot on the way home.

Here's a couple of pics I just took in my driveway. And please do not use the part number from the pics. Andy told me that GM has discontinued that part number because of the bad diff issue with the bolts. There will be a new part number soon.

http://mystudios.com/g8/327diff.jpg

-------------------------------

http://mystudios.com/g8/diff327.jpg

Link to images
http://mystudios.com/g8/diff327.jpg
http://mystudios.com/g8/327diff.jpg

GRRRR8
08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Glad everything worked out for you Roy!

Devilish34
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
lol but by 9pm it's not 90 any more but it'll probably be raining

Voice of Reason
08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Jealous! I think you got the only good one in the US.

I just spoke with Andy myself and hopefully he will hear from GM tomorrow on what this new part number will be and what the ETA is. Otherwise we have to look at "alternatives".

edmanet
08-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Glad everything worked out for you Roy!

Thanks......There was a white A6 GXP at LIVERNOIS getting a stage 2 cam and
a 3.70 diff installed while I was there.

I also got to see a white Corvette that makes 850hp with an A6. I believe it has a procharger on it. That car is louder at idle than mine is at WOT.

SpeedRacerX
08-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Way to go! Congrats...

Tempest2000
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
the white vette has been there a while its pretty sweet.

They had two s/c mustangs that sounded pretty good last time I was in there...

Tempest2000
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking of 3.27 or 3.45's myself. The mid range around town I always get stuck between gears when in D and it doesn't want to downshift that far.

I usually drive in manual mode though so it isn't so much of an issue.

I know you went from a triple disc to a single, but can you tell a difference in the stall when adding the 3.27 gears? like it stalls lower than before or what difference did it make adding the gears?

Ktlplxm
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM

I also got to see a white Corvette that makes 850hp with an A6. I believe it has a procharger on it. That car is louder at idle than mine is at WOT.

Remember, not everyone likes for people to know when their cars are at a shop, or whats being done to them... just sayin.

Devilish34
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Remember, not everyone likes for people to know when their cars are at a shop, or whats being done to them... just sayin.

That must mean your car is in the shop lol

Ktlplxm
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
My car doesn't ever go to a shop where anyone else can see it, let alone know what is being done. My money is my business, my business is my money... neither of them is anyone elses

edmanet
08-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I've been thinking of 3.27 or 3.45's myself. The mid range around town I always get stuck between gears when in D and it doesn't want to downshift that far.

I usually drive in manual mode though so it isn't so much of an issue.

I know you went from a triple disc to a single, but can you tell a difference in the stall when adding the 3.27 gears? like it stalls lower than before or what difference did it make adding the gears?

No difference in the stall. The converter was built the same way as before except its a single disc. I believe its a 2600 stall but it stalls at 3600 because of my HP. With the gears I should launch better therefore run faster. I'm told I should easily pickup 3 tenths. I believe '13QTR' picked up 5 tenths when he put in his 3.27 diff.

You can feel a difference with the 3.27 diff though. The car picks up faster
and when you take your foot off the gas the rpms get pulled down faster. There's a small break in period so I haven't been able to do any real hard
hole shots and go through the gears.

Devilish34
08-20-2009, 04:38 PM
My car doesn't ever go to a shop where anyone else can see it, let alone know what is being done. My money is my business, my business is my money... neither of them is anyone elses

Ok

Livernois Motorsports
08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Glad everything is good with your car Roy! :) Now lets see an 11.49 :woohoo:

The white Vette is there because we are taking it to Carlisle for Corvettes of Carlisle next week and it needs to get detailed.

-Rick

Voice of Reason
08-20-2009, 05:01 PM

Ahh, that explains why your sig is so modest. Our bad.

:qf:

13 QTR
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
No difference in the stall. The converter was built the same way as before except its a single disc. I believe its a 2600 stall but it stalls at 3600 because of my HP. With the gears I should launch better therefore run faster. I'm told I should easily pickup 3 tenths. I believe '13QTR' picked up 5 tenths when he put in his 3.27 diff.

and when you take your foot off the gas the rpms get pulled down faster. There's a small break in period so I haven't been able to do any real hard

woohoo....I got mentioned in a thread...that was positive...thanks.
Hope you bust a low 11...

Mike P
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Roy:

Glad to hear that everything worked out great! I like the sound of your new torque converter........

Good luck at the track......

G8GT594
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Sweet! Good to hear that your converter issues are mostly taken care off. Well, looks like i have to do more now to catch up LOL!

p71
08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Keep us posted on that converter Edmanet (btw what make and model are you running). Glad to see that the nut is starting to be cracked.

I gotsta get me some gears.

p71
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM

maybe that dude will want to sell his 327s...

-Ray-
08-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Did ya get on it yet Roy? :)

deputycrawford
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Edmanet. I was informed today that my triple disc converter is on teh way. I also will put on the 1 3/4 LTs at the same time. I have to sak, why did you go back to single disc? I plan on FI next year so I got ready for it. Am I in for any quirks?

Jerry

GeorgeInNePa
08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
The triple disk converters are the common thread in the complaints about the 6L80E and aftermarket converters...

1GXP4ME
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
They are noisy and annoying for a street car.

Andy@Livernois
08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
and unlock/lock at will from ~50 until ~75-80MPH all brands are this way, PI, YANK, FTI, TCI, etc...

p71
08-21-2009, 05:59 PM
So you are saying get a single disk...

Mike P
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Probably best.....

edmanet
08-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Edmanet. I was informed today that my triple disc converter is on teh way. I also will put on the 1 3/4 LTs at the same time. I have to sak, why did you go back to single disc? I plan on FI next year so I got ready for it. Am I in for any quirks?

Jerry

From Andy:
and unlock/lock at will from ~50 until ~75-80MPH all brands are this way, PI, YANK, FTI, TCI, etc...

From George:
The triple disk converters are the common thread in the complaints about the 6L80E and aftermarket converters...

And when it locks/unlocks at will the car tends to jerk. So anytime on the highway you have to drive below 55 or above 70 if you wants to avoid the jerkiness. Plus the trans temps go up.

As of now there isn't a fix for it. Some tuners have been delaying the lockup until 80mph to get around the issue. LIVERNOIS recommended that I don't do this.

GRRRR8
08-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Do not use a triple disc. This was established almost a year ago.

G8GT594
08-22-2009, 06:35 AM
If you can take back the triple. Get a single. I don't need to go back over what everyone said but yes a lot of tuners are setting triples to lock at 80. That's a half ass way of doing it. Converter will constantly be slipping and your trans temps will sky rocket even with a huge trans cooler.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

edmanet
08-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Do not use a triple disc. This was established almost a year ago.

LIVERNOIS tried fixing my issues for about 6 months. Get a single disc.

irnwkrkev
08-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess that's why my tach bounces between 50 and 80. At 90 it's rock steady. Wish I would have read about this BEFORE I purchased my convertor a few months ago. Anyone have a reason as to why a triple disc is even sold at all if it has such problems? Thanks, Kevin (sorry to thread jack)

Andy@Livernois
08-22-2009, 03:33 PM
eventually there might be support for the necessary items needed to make a triple disc lock up in the software, but as of right now you can't do it... In a WOT drag race application the triple disc has a purpose, but for your average street car a single is fine

Mike P
08-23-2009, 02:20 AM
What are the single disc torque converter options? And what would be a good streetable recommended stall speed? 2600 - 3200?

subscribing......

Andy@Livernois
08-23-2009, 03:57 AM
pretty much the standard of converters are single disc models. triples and 5 disc models are "upgrades" because of their advantages in drag racing on nitrous or boosted cars.

Yank, Circle D, FTI, TCI, and Precision industries are all examples. I personally prefer Precision industries, and a big part of it is their customer service. Roy had an issue with his very first converter, it flashed (like Pauls) to 4400 rpm, PI took care of it, thought they were helping by upgrading it free of charge to a triple, and sent it back to us. Now 6 months later we still aren't happy with it. Precision sent us a new converter under warranty for roy without even receiving the old one back first... That is why Precision gets my vote.

edmanet
08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
pretty much the standard of converters are single disc models. triples and 5 disc models are "upgrades" because of their advantages in drag racing on nitrous or boosted cars.

Yank, Circle D, FTI, TCI, and Precision industries are all examples. I personally prefer Precision industries, and a big part of it is their customer service. Roy had an issue with his very first converter, it flashed (like Pauls) to 4400 rpm, PI took care of it, thought they were helping by upgrading it free of charge to a triple, and sent it back to us. Now 6 months later we still aren't happy with it. Precision sent us a new converter under warranty for roy without even receiving the old one back first... That is why Precision gets my vote.

And I didn't have pay for the re-install or the new cooler. Thanks Dan, Andy, Rick, & everyone else at LIVERNOIS

MGM GT
08-23-2009, 10:27 AM
And I didn't have pay for the re-install or the new cooler. Thanks Dan, Andy, Rick, & everyone else at LIVERNOIS

Wow thats impressive!

Whats a converter install go for anyways?

Mike P
08-23-2009, 10:31 AM

That is very cool of them......

jimmytt6
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Can't wait to see your car Roy at our Washington DC area G8 gathering this weekend coming up.

I'll be Calisle on Friday..hopefully get to meet you and Andy. Need to talk about getting a cam package.

Glad everything is good with your car Roy! :) Now lets see an 11.49 :woohoo:

The white Vette is there because we are taking it to Carlisle for Corvettes of Carlisle next week and it needs to get detailed.

-Rick

Andy@Livernois
08-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Can't wait to see your car Roy at our Washington DC area G8 gathering this weekend coming up.

I'll be Calisle on Friday..hopefully get to meet you and Andy. Need to talk about getting a cam package.

we'll be there ;)

JMorris
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Strange then that you would list so many mods in your sig?

JMorris
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
What's the consensus for the best DD set up then? Single disk 2600 stall with 3.27? I was thinking of going with a 3.45, not sure if that would be too much though. For sure the 3.70 is going too much.

GRRRR8
09-04-2009, 05:03 PM

I think what he is saying is that if he wants someone to know thats 1 thing, but for people to just be told whats being done or has been done to his car isnt any of their business.

JMorris
09-04-2009, 05:22 PM
If that was his point then I see the validity in it.

Ktlplxm
09-05-2009, 06:02 AM

First off, my sig doesn't list everything. Secondly, it is my choice whether or not someone knows what is on my car. I now have even gone to the point of having non-disclosure paperwork in my vehicle whenever I go to a shop stating that if the anyone at the shop discloses any information about my vehicle to anyone without express permission from me they are to be held liable in the amount of the value of the parts and/or modifications disclosed. Only one shop who signed it has so far had to pay for not keeping their guys quiet. the court system found the document to be legal and binding and the shop had to pay $2400 for the occurrence. I am extremely serious when it comes to confindentiality; its how I conduct my business and how I expect others to conduct business with me.

Ktlplxm
09-05-2009, 06:03 AM
What's the consensus for the best DD set up then? Single disk 2600 stall with 3.27? I was thinking of going with a 3.45, not sure if that would be too much though. For sure the 3.70 is going too much.

That would be about right. It just depends on how much highway driving you plan on, or how much mileage means to you

Devilish34
09-05-2009, 06:33 AM
First off, my sig doesn't list everything. Secondly, it is my choice whether or not someone knows what is on my car. I now have even gone to the point of having non-disclosure paperwork in my vehicle whenever I go to a shop stating that if the anyone at the shop discloses any information about my vehicle to anyone without express permission from me they are to be held liable in the amount of the value of the parts and/or modifications disclosed. Only one shop who signed it has so far had to pay for not keeping their guys quiet. the court system found the document to be legal and binding and the shop had to pay $2400 for the occurrence. I am extremely serious when it comes to confindentiality; its how I conduct my business and how I expect others to conduct business with me.

I heard you installed rockets is this true?

Andy@Livernois
09-05-2009, 06:44 AM
I heard you installed rockets is this true?

just small ones is what i heard ;)

MGM GT
09-05-2009, 07:16 AM

WOW! The street car game must be really serious without any slips posted ;)

But I know how it is, I know some people that only street race for money and never tell anyone their true setup. I guess that's fun for some people.

Devilish34
09-05-2009, 08:10 AM
just small ones is what i heard ;)

Pocket Ahhh NVM lol

Ktlplxm
09-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Pocket Ahhh NVM lol

Not rockets, pockets, POCKETS, have to have somewhere to put loose change so it doesn't rattle in the storage compartment. lol

Dr. Glock
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM

How much did legal fees run? Yah, I'm buying that...tool.

Ktlplxm
09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
WOW! The street car game must be really serious without any slips posted ;)

But I know how it is, I know some people that only street race for money and never tell anyone their true setup. I guess that's fun for some people.

Thats the only way its fun lol. Thats one of the problems with the internet; if a slip gets posted or a video at the track, everyone knows what the cars run. As it stands, when you run on the street from either a dig or a roll, ET becomes irrelevant. I'm sure people have said it a hundred times, but anyone "in the game" in the knows how crucial secrets are. When you race heads up you "run what you brung, and hope you brung enough". Ask Charlie he's spent enough time in Atlanta to know.

GeorgeInNePa
09-05-2009, 10:06 AM

:wacko:

Yea, that's, um... nevermind

Tempest2000
09-05-2009, 10:21 AM
what was the thread topic again?

Devilish34
09-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Bacon

Dr. Glock
09-05-2009, 10:42 AM

A magical super-secret non-disclosure contract.

Ktlplxm
09-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Gears and converter. One simple comment about discretion, then questions, answers, tool comments from the good Dr... thats about the synopsis

GeorgeInNePa
09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Ok guys, let's not start direct attacks or name calling.

Please edit your own posts.

MGM GT
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Thats the only way its fun lol. Thats one of the problems with the internet; if a slip gets posted or a video at the track, everyone knows what the cars run. As it stands, when you run on the street from either a dig or a roll, ET becomes irrelevant. I'm sure people have said it a hundred times, but anyone "in the game" in the knows how crucial secrets are. When you race heads up you "run what you brung, and hope you brung enough". Ask Charlie he's spent enough time in Atlanta to know.

I know what your saying I used to travel out of the area to race so nobody knew my car. We have a couple stretches of street marked for 1/8 and 1/4 even sprayed with VHT that people meet up and lots of really fast cars come out and moneys flying around. I've seen ProMods race on the street for $5,000 and tube chassis cars doing 200MPH+ top speed runs. Hell the fastest G8 in the world couldn't beat the slowest Honda that comes out to these meets.

Personally I like to make my money during the day now and just relax when I race.

Bacon

It does make everything better!!!