PDA

View Full Version : VIM for G8

hotshot2003
09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been in contact with Adrian several times in the last few days. The VIM is about to be available for the G8's and for sale to the United States. I should be getting the first one and will post some video's once it comes in. I know a bunch of crap goes on with g8board.com and that post will probably get deleted. This board seems a bit more open minded. If you guys can't tell, I just really want a VIM and I think most others do. I don't think someone should have to contribute money to a board in order to mention or discuss a product. If this is overstepping my bounds feel free to delete. I'm only passing along what information I have received and will continue to keep everyone updated as this progresses.

By the way, I've been on the Australian LS1/Holden boards for a while now. I've even talked to several guys that are not affiliated with No Limit or Adrian in anyway but have dealt with them in the past. No one had a single bad thing to say about No Limit or Adrian. I'm excited that they have been working hard to help us out over here when they could have easily just not worked on this product and kept their business in Australia only. I commend his efforts and hope to have the product in my hands soon. I look forward to keeping everyone up to date.

GRRRR8
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Have him contact me or Steve about vendor status. I would like to have his products on the site if they work.

GeorgeInNePa
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
What's a VIM and will it make me more torque?

;)

PostalCherokee
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Noob, what's a VIM?

-Ray-
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
video in motion I think.

PostalCherokee
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok, thanks Ray!

norm8332
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I might be interested in one..Let us know.

Steve
09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey if it works and is affordable it'll save me the headache of trying to develop something myself ;)

jnak
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
If it works and it's reasonably priced, I'm in.

00 Trans Ram
09-24-2008, 05:38 AM
I'm also interested. I'd like to use a small lipstick camera and place it in different locations. Spoiler lip for a road-level view. Wheel well to watch suspension work. Things like that.

Mike P
09-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Is our Nav. screen a DVD player or just a CD?

(media types)

GTPprix
09-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey if it works and is affordable it'll save me the headache of trying to develop something myself ;)

If you can find me a decent SW CAN module that I can program I'll knock this out in a day problem is I dont have the time to hunt for hardware :\ I've already done this in shop on a vehicle so I know it works just a matter of making it portable so it can fit behind the dash and NOT cost thousands of dollars LOL

jnak
09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Is our Nav. screen a DVD player or just a CD?

(media types)

Just CD. And it won't play video CDs. There is a video input jack on the head unit though.

It's not a Nav screen either.

Steve
09-24-2008, 07:12 AM
yeah exaclty. getting a can2USB and running something off a laptop is easy to find & do but to get something embedded going is a whole other story

hotshot2003
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
So if having a laptop with USB input is all it takes, I was going to build a PC for the car. It will stay in the car at all times. Vector or Steve, do you have something that will work for that situation?

Steve
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
can't speak for vector but don't have anything working yet. Am working on swapping out the atari gages with a full color touch-screen lcd running with some micro pc running Windows CE or so with all kinds of 'stuff' on the display ;) Have the docs - most a matter of time & $$ (low on both haha)

g8_795
09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
If you can find me a decent SW CAN module that I can program I'll knock this out in a day problem is I dont have the time to hunt for hardware :\ I've already done this in shop on a vehicle so I know it works just a matter of making it portable so it can fit behind the dash and NOT cost thousands of dollars LOL

Are you filtering out a message via two SW-CAN's or are you doing something else here? I have been working on a very small SW-CAN interface for my ATARI gauges (haven't had a lot of time lately), but I could very easily focus it on the VIM if it is not a router type solution because I only have one SW-CAN interface on board.
-Robert

Bob.au
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Adrian completed The Rear AUX & VIM mods to my car last year, here is a video I took shortly after with my phone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHAfFA3FD5Q

And here is a recent video shot with a 'proper' video camera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwnEq7uDRQ

With the Rear AUX mod you can plug any video source into your car, I already had my songs and videos on my iPod :) The Rear AUX mod simply utilizes the pins at the rear/side of the head unit where the factory Rear DVD Screen normally plugs in. The VIM gives you VIM :p

You guys will thoroughly enjoy it! :D

Steve
09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah already have a backup cam plugged in there - but as soon as I hit 2mph it's game-over, hence the need for some VIM... From what i've heard 'some' people had problems getting in touch with this Adrian guy or whatever. Dont know the details but so far on the US market there's been a total void of anyone offering VIM.

Is his a unit that sits in between or does he reprogram the radio?

Bob.au
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Is his a unit that sits in between or does he reprogram the radio?

The unit Adrian used on my car simply plugged in to the service/diagnostics port under the dashboard. The unit was plugged in (for a couple of minutes), did it's thing, then was unplugged. VIM was enabled, easy! :)

On a side note, I have had the battery in my car disconnected multiple times and the VIM is still in effect ;)

NoLimit
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey guys

Adrian here from Australia. Just letting you know that we are just finalizing an online shop for work where we will have the vims etc online for purchase.
We have been doing them here in Australia for over 12 months now, it will work on your units, plugs into diagnostic port and reflashes the firmware. Will be sending the first unit to hotshot2003 and once he has done it, he will be posting up a video of it working.

Cheers,
Adrian

jnak
09-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Any idea of the cost?

Steve
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
sounds cool - can't wait to see it man

-Ray-
09-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Hey guys

Adrian here from Australia. Just letting you know that we are just finalizing an online shop for work where we will have the vims etc online for purchase.
We have been doing them here in Australia for over 12 months now, it will work on your units, plugs into diagnostic port and reflashes the firmware. Will be sending the first unit to hotshot2003 and once he has done it, he will be posting up a video of it working.

Cheers,
Adrian

Can't wait to see it. Welcome Adrian.

Ghouse1803
09-25-2008, 06:49 AM
i started the thread at G8nation on the VIM nolimit had them on ebay ..and this has been ongoing for too long now!!!! finally this might be the light at the end of a long tunnel.. im so excited !!

NoLimit
09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
hey,

Not 100% on pricing yet, will have to be more then what they are here though. They work on a change over basis here in Australia, so the hardware is returned once the mid has been done and then we recharge and it goes to the next customer. For overseas customers though, they will be keeping the hardware so we will need to make new ones for every order. Currently $275aud for customers in Australia.

Also make an auto reverse switcher with vim built in, which auto switches the screen to rear aux when reverse is selected. It does vim mod when first used aswell.

Away on holidays at the moment, writting this on an iPhone, so when I get back I will be able to see how online shop is going and finalize a few things.

Cheers,
Adrian

jnak
09-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Sweet, keep us posted!

WinstonWolf
10-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Yo Adrian! (Rocky)

dood any update on this? i'm dying to get VIM.

Chewy
10-02-2008, 06:30 AM
All I want to be able to do is hook my iPhone up to it... Would be sweet to be able to play sound AND video through it IMO.:woohoo:

Steve
10-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Well while we wait i just received my canbus dev board so i'm gonna start writing some code to see what I can do with it (besides VIM there's some other things I wanna do so it came in handy anyway)

NoLimit
10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey guys,

Will be back at work on Monday, so will be able to sus out whats going on.

Well while we wait i just received my canbus dev board so i'm gonna start writing some code to see what I can do with it (besides VIM there's some other things I wanna do so it came in handy anyway)

What other things were you gonna try?

Cheers,
Adrian

g8_795
10-02-2008, 04:13 PM

Steve,
I have my dev board all setup on my G8. Do you have a good idea what you are looking for with VIM? With out two CAN bus's, I don't see have we can do this. Seems like we would need two interfaces to act as a router and filter off (or change) the necessary messages to stop disabling the video.
-Robert

Steve
10-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm just gonna start simple and try a setup like this:
Transceiver A---->Controller---->Transceiver B
where the controller either simply forwards or changes/injects a 0mph speed message (bought like 5 different docs - think I have it figured out what to look for). Then see what breaks and see if the A/C controls send data out of that SW Can line and if so (guessing probably) figure out how to have transceiver B pick it up and send it back to A. So most of the logic will happen in the controller (may have to go with 2 talking to each other but we'll see - they're cheap enough... can just get 2 devboard and link'm to do a proof of concept.)

Robert, What kind of dev board/chipset you running?

4gasem, speaking of IPHone - guy at work got one and I guess there's some app for it called 'rev' that taps into the OBD-II port , creates a wifi link to your phone and shows all kinds of data/graphs like a dashhawk? pretty cool stuff! :)

As far as my other plans - think bye bye atari gauges, hello full color touchscreen with toggle-able digital/analog looking gauges with any info I can figure out how to spit out (+ any other type of app you want) with a 4x4 inch form factor computer running it. (it's called PC/104) Gonna be a fun project.. now to find the time haha

g8_795
10-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm just gonna start simple and try a setup like this:
Transceiver A---->Controller---->Transceiver B
where the controller either simply forwards or changes/injects a 0mph speed message (bought like 5 different docs - think I have it figured out what to look for). Then see what breaks and see if the A/C controls send data out of that SW Can line and if so (guessing probably) figure out how to have transceiver B pick it up and send it back to A. So most of the logic will happen in the controller (may have to go with 2 talking to each other but we'll see - they're cheap enough... can just get 2 devboard and link'm to do a proof of concept.)

Robert, What kind of dev board/chipset you running?

4gasem, speaking of IPHone - guy at work got one and I guess there's some app for it called 'rev' that taps into the OBD-II port , creates a wifi link to your phone and shows all kinds of data/graphs like a dashhawk? pretty cool stuff! :)

As far as my other plans - think bye bye atari gauges, hello full color touchscreen with toggle-able digital/analog looking gauges with any info I can figure out how to spit out (+ any other type of app you want) with a 4x4 inch form factor computer running it. (it's called PC/104) Gonna be a fun project.. now to find the time haha

I have been using a EVB9S08DZ128 development board with a S08D 8-bit CAN Microcontroller. I have been messing with the Atari display, but thinking about getting a color screen to replace it.
-Robert

WinstonWolf
10-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Any update on this? I'm dying to get the VIM working ovah hee-ah.

Ghouse1803
10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Im willing to bet VIM will never happen for the G8

-Ray-
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Im willing to bet VIM will never happen for the G8

How much are you willing to bet??

sultech
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
lol

WinstonWolf
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
How much are you willing to bet??

do you know something we don't?

hotshot2003
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
The VIM is on its way from Australia. Adrian sent it out the other day. As soon as it arrives I will install it and get some pics/vid's up for you guys. I can't wait to build my carPC for Nav, A/V, and bluetooth!

Steve
10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Airmail hopefully lol

Did we have an estimate on price for this yet?

G8H8
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Airmail hopefully lol

Did we have an estimate on price for this yet?

Nope UPS ground. They deliver anywhere. hahahahaha

jnak
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
:watch:

SLVRG8GT
10-16-2008, 02:36 PM
:watch:

:hang:

jasonsanders1999
10-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Well I have also been in contact with Adrian and he has assured me that these units are ready and will work in our G8s.

This is what an Aussi member had to say about Adrian,
The guy DEDE on here has a real bent against Adrian No Limit but I think Adrian will be proven correct about the VIM for G8.His shop has access to a Holden Engineer who worked on the VE/G8 and they are releasing all sorts of things.

Adrian will be shipping mine out sometime this week. I'll let everyone know when I get and if it works.

Steve
10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
that 'dede' guy seems to be real dick to ANYONE if you ask me...

wreckwriter
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

He can be a bit short for sure but his knowledge level is quite high.

WinstonWolf
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM

this whole situation is hilarious if you ask me. a bunch of ppl are dying to get this product yet the guy that has it is showing virtually no interest in bringing it to market or even hinting at what the price would be.

the funny thing is, i still want the dadgum VIM. i'm like that battered wife that keeps coming back for more.

jasonsanders1999
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Here is what Adrian sent me.

They are $360AUD

$25AUD Registered Post
or
$55AUD Express Post.

Cheers mate,
Adrian

antonio31
10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
so thats $225 in are money, thats not to bad of a price. can't wait to see video or pics of the g8 with this mod.

The Commodore
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
interested

hotshot2003
10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Mine came in on Tuesday but I have been out of town all week. I had a relative pick it up for me and will go get it from them friday or saturday and try to install it on sunday. I will be out of town until friday for business, sorry I can't install it til the weekend to test it. Pics/Vid's to follow when I get home!

GTPprix
10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Guys I've got the time now, I can do the interface for you. Let me get some stuff together and see if its doable for a decent price :)

G8Smitty
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Guys I've got the time now, I can do the interface for you. Let me get some stuff together and see if its doable for a decent price :)
Can you elaborate on “interface” a little? It is my understanding that the solution that holeshot has is some sort of firmware update. Is that what you are thinking? I'm super interested in this and getting it from you would be ideal. I apologize if my questions are too soon in the development, but I would love to have a (affordable) solution. Thanks!

jnak
10-29-2008, 03:14 PM

:okay:

Steve
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
From what I understand Adrian(NoLimit's) Solution is indeed a reprogram of the system or radio somehow.

My idea (and some others had the same) would sit between the radio & it's connectors basically.
Before: Radio<---->System
After: Radio<---->VIMBox<---->System

I've actually already have a schematic & board layout developed (includes RCA Jacks for audio/video), Bill of Materials and 90% of the software code. Just need to order PCBs and find a place that can do SMT Assembly on the cheap so I can get a prototype going.

GTPprix
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I can do either one, I can hack the radio firmware or make an intermediate box to take care of the signal. Either one is doable, if its just a firmware update obviously you'll need to send me the radio.

NoLimit
10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Unless you are REALLY good, be carful with putting a interface box inline to get rid of the VIM. Can be pretty dangerous (not recommended) - alot of communication (2way canbus etc..) happening there and if you don't get the timing 100% then you will start getting alot of errors with the cars electronics over time.

Thats why the firmware update is the safest.

Cheers,
Adrian

GTPprix
10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Unless you are REALLY good, be carful with putting a interface box inline to get rid of the VIM. Can be pretty dangerous (not recommended) - alot of communication (2way canbus etc..) happening there and if you don't get the timing 100% then you will start getting alot of errors with the cars electronics over time.

Thats why the firmware update is the safest.

Cheers,
Adrian

Agreed :)

Steve
10-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah that's definitely true, but unless you geniuses want to hand out info on HOW to do that (heck or even how to START figuring out how to hack the radio firmware) most people - myself included - are in no position to even attempt that, while making a PCB and writing some code from scratch is a lot more doable.

Besides.. it gives me an excuse to play around with my car ;) Not really looking to make it 'production' level.. more of a 'can i figure this out' thing :)

But if you guys feel like sharing you know where to find me :P
Oh btw - you guys happen to know how many network nodes there are in the car? too lazy to go look it up

ChipC
10-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Chris/Adrian,

I think the most useful thing would be to determine whether the G8 has the Oz Nav pinouts for the RGB Nav input and the firmware to select that input (use the power button to activate). This would be good for a number of different Navs on the market including the Garmin GVN53 or Kenwood KNA-G510 which both already have RGB outputs, Adrian's SatNav unit (which may be similar to or the same as the HiTV unit), the HiTV unit , or a CarPC. Alot of potential for Nav solutions with this question answered and the display will be of higher quality.

Here are the pinouts from Oz:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113537&postcount=26

Chip