PDA

View Full Version : G8 being sold in Australia to use up parts -

LDV60
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Hope this isn't a re-post.

Just found some details on the www.carsales.com.au web site.

See below...........

Holden to build limited edition run to clear Pontiac parts
North America's loss is about to become Australia's gain. As Pontiac prepares to shut its doors in the USA, and with it the Commodore export program, it has emerged that the Commodore-based Pontiac G8 will be sold in Australia from late this year.

Holden exported approximately 41,000 Commodores as Pontiac G8 sedans between November 2007 and February 2009. A ute version of the Pontiac G8 was due to follow later this year but it was axed along with the rest of the Pontiac brand.

A top secret Holden dealer bulletin obtained by the Carsales Network has revealed that the Pontiac G8 will be sold locally in November and December, with production due to start on November 2.

The move has been designed to clear parts stock that was destined for the now axed Pontiac export program.

There will be sedan, ute and wagon versions in three colours -- black, red and 'voodoo' blue. This means the local Pontiac G8 will be sold in two guises not available in the US (where it was a sedan only), making the ute and wagon particularly rare.

Even though all cars will be based on the Holden Commodore SS V and wear SS V badging they are expected to become collector's items as they will mark an important milestone (and memory) in Holden history: when it last exported cars to the world's biggest car market.

Significantly, the limited edition models will not wear Pontiac badges, but they will get all the other Pontiac parts. The parts include the Pontiac G8 bonnet, front bumper and grille. On sedan models, the lower 'lip' boot spoiler will replace the SS V's high-mount spoiler.

It is unclear how many of each will be made, but dealer contacts have suggested it will be close to 1500 in total, or about 500 of each body style.

Prices of each limited edition model will be $1000 more than a regular SS V. The Holden bulletin outlined to dealers the following:

Pontiac G8 SS-V ute manual $47,490
Pontiac G8 SS-V sedan manual $55,290
Pontiac G8 SS-V wagon manual $57,290

Automatics are likely to be available although they were not mentioned on the price list.

Holden has so far refused to confirm the special model. Holden spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale said: "We are always looking to introduce exciting special edition packs but we haven't announced any special programs just yet."

Published : Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Cobra
08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I would be hearing what are brothers across the pond have to say about this.

GeoffA
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
The UTE lives on?

Who will export one across the pond, and will these be left or right hand drive?

Mike P
08-18-2009, 08:59 PM
This is pretty cool, I wonder if the Austrialian buyers will try to rebadge it to a US spec G8 GT?

They should throw some 6.2 litre engines in some of them too A6 & M6

Crazy Paul
08-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Hope this isn't a re-post.
Your post adds futher info to the post from 2 weeks ago here :
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4385
& there's another post (with pics) about the HSV VE Series 2 later this year getting the Pontiac hood.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=9376

Crazy Paul
08-19-2009, 01:45 AM
, and will these be left or right hand drive?

Right hand drive Holdens with :

Pontiac G8 bonnet, front bumper and grille. On sedan models, the lower 'lip' boot spoiler.

It's a huge stretch to say G8 being sold in Australia.

mikesgt
08-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Cool. What ever keeps G8 parts viable for Holden to make helps us. I am stil waiting on a part that the dealer ordered almost a month ago.

GM_Fan
08-19-2009, 04:15 AM
I'd rather see US parts bins full of replacement parts than G8 parts being used half a world away.

BluYa76
08-19-2009, 04:18 AM
I'd rather see US parts bins full of replacement parts than G8 parts being used half a world away.

Exactly, seems we are the ones that are suffering with the inability of GM to stock replacement parts in viable quantities so we don't have to wait weeks or months (hint hint GM)!

Panzer Leader
08-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Use up those ball joints, strut bearings, bushings and control arms. Unlike wine, they don't age well in the bin.

BW G8GT
08-19-2009, 06:05 AM

Ditto

WhyteSS
08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I'am interested in what they will do with the front pontiac badge?

Slizzo
08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Was thinking the same thing about parts availability. Be nice if they would ship those parts and store them somewhere stateside so we don't have to wait months for OEM replacements.

-Ray-
08-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Holden doing a grab for money?

95_9C1
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Was thinking the same thing about parts availability. Be nice if they would ship those parts and store them somewhere stateside so we don't have to wait months for OEM replacements.

+1

anything G8 specific has me a little concerned...not sure how much else we share with the new Camaro...

GeorgeInNePa
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM

:rofl:

The last thing GM cares about is keeping a spare bumper in a warehouse, for you to use, 3 years from now.

Sorry to say.

Panzer Leader
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM

The last thing GM cares about is keeping a spare bumper in a warehouse, for you to use, 3 years from now.

Sorry to say.

George quite right, but consider this, front end accident, possible parts problem. Oh boy, they replace with the HSV parts (bumper and hood) won't that make the insurance companies happy.

-Ray-
08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
....and look at the insurance rates go up due to not being able to get replacement parts.

Crazy Paul
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Holden doing a grab for money?

Saving wastage more like it.
The G8 export program got axed. One would think that batches of G8 hoods, bumpers etc are sitting in a warehouse in Oz with no Pontiac cars to be installed on.

And as far as parts not being available in USA currently.
Every part that I've checked availability of for USA customers has been in stock in plentiful quantity in Australia.
Looks like someone is just too cheap to pay the shipping.

Grab for money......eg: why has Holmart got Pontiac G8 Airbags in stock when there are cars in the USA off the road for 2 months waiting for those parts ?

-Ray-
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I was just piggy backing off a post you made about GM making a grab for money. Look, you know how much I like this vehicle. I don't like the fact we got thrown under the bus either.

bobyoung
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Sorry to say.

Yup, GM sucks bigtime, too friggin cheap to maintain the cars they sold us, they really suck, this is the first time I've heard this, next car is going to be a Chrysler I think, fuck Fritz and GM.

black bart
09-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Will Holden replace the Pontiac front arrow with their own badge on the Ausie version of the G8? This question was asked earlier but not answered.

Crazy Paul
09-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Will Holden replace the Pontiac front arrow with their own badge on the Ausie version of the G8? This question was asked earlier but not answered.

They will be a Holden with a G8 hood and G8 front, when they are built later this year. No info is available yet what they are doing about a Holden badge on the front. Whetever they do will be something that does not yet exist in the inventory.
They wont put a Pontiac badge on there.

-Ray-
09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe this will be our opportunity to replace our Pontiac badge.

BigRob
09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
^ hope so!