PDA

View Full Version : Manual Mode "Lifespan"

SpeedRacerX
08-17-2009, 06:02 PM
OK, I like playing around in manual mode, especially to take advantage of the sound and gargle of the Borla exhaust.

I also remember back when all my GM auto transmissions in the mid and late 80's and early 90's were easily broken by trying to play around with them by shifting them myself. The auto transmissions I had in my 86 tuned-port IROC-Z and 88 Vette were terrible. Showing my age now. Of course the 3-4K RPM neutral drop in my Dad's 86 Silverado Blazer while in 4WD Low wasn't the tranny's fault :) That left pieces all over the street.

Seriously though, how are these tranmissions going to take us driving around once in awhile in manual mode? Will they last? Another way to ask would be: what would I have to do to start hurting it; what are its limits??

Thx!

WickedMom
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
dunno but You have a 5 year 100k mile warranty

jaxredg8
08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
dunno but You have a 5 year 100k mile warranty

Exactly. Plus the way I am looking at it, if it snaps, just another area I get to upgrade!!

polo
08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
It was made to use, so use it! It'll probably be more likely to screw up if you go 2 years without using it!

R.Penguin
08-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm in manual almost 100% and use the downshifts constantly. If the tranny goes boom, I'll have lots of brake pads left.

'02 ws6
08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
These trans' are pretty stout in stock form, not weak ass slushboxes like the 700R4s of the 80s. I've owned an IROC, an '88 GTA, and an '85 TA, so I know all about how crappy they were! :)

Depending on your power level and amount of time you spend hammering on it, I'd say it'll last you a pretty good while. There's some high hp setups right now out there that are still utilizing the stock tranny.

As others have said though, you have your warranty so might as well give 'er hell!
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Tempest2000
08-18-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd like to add the 4l60e to the crap list of tranny's. I blew up 2 in my 94 TA with only around 350hp.

boomer
08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Manual mode shouldn't really be any harder on the trans compared to normal or sport mode (especially with the stock tune). the shifting characteristics are essentially the same. the main difference is manual mode allows you to manually command the up/down shift points. There are also several safety features the computer has that won't allow you to do anything stupid while in manual mode (like putting the trans in 1st gear while going 70mph).

Ktlplxm
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd like to add the 4l60e to the crap list of tranny's. I blew up 2 in my 94 TA with only around 350hp.

That sounds like a bad rebuild. I've had 4L60E's that drive around and run high 6's 1/8 mile no problem. Just a matter of the components used and the abuse applied. Other than a 4L80E, there isn't another four speed automatic overdrive that will take the abuse the 4L60E's did.

Tempest2000
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Could be...

Actually let me be more specific. The first time the tranny let go was at 85k miles. which I could understand.

The 2nd time it let go at 115k miles converter locked up when it wasn't supposed to and trashed the transmission. Technically the converter caused the issue, but end result was the tranny had to be rebuilt.

The last time was at 130k miles mechanic said the reason it let go this time was solenoid failure.

I am sure lots of people had good luck... mine was a piece as far as I was concerned.

R.Penguin
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Manual mode shouldn't really be any harder on the trans compared to normal or sport mode (especially with the stock tune). the shifting characteristics are essentially the same. the main difference is manual mode allows you to manually command the up/down shift points. There are also several safety features the computer has that won't allow you to do anything stupid while in manual mode (like putting the trans in 1st gear while going 70mph).
Quite so. I beleive this is the same tranny used in the GMC turbo deisels used for towing. It's stout. Just like everything is strong until you break it.:P

Ktlplxm
08-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Thats alot of miles on a trans regardless of power, especially if it is driven spiritedly. Other than diesel trans, you won't find many that take that, and they take it primarily because they don't turn rpm.

Could be...

Actually let me be more specific. The first time the tranny let go was at 85k miles. which I could understand.

The 2nd time it let go at 115k miles converter locked up when it wasn't supposed to and trashed the transmission. Technically the converter caused the issue, but end result was the tranny had to be rebuilt.

The last time was at 130k miles mechanic said the reason it let go this time was solenoid failure.

I am sure lots of people had good luck... mine was a piece as far as I was concerned.