PDA

View Full Version : Racing

Gonewild
08-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Just curious what procedure everyone uses for racing. Either at a dead stop, or a rolling race on the highway. I can race the shit out of any motorcycle, but this is my first "REAL" car. I just want some examples like what shift mode you prefer on each situation. So when the time comes, when i can finally get someone to bite, which i have tried numerous times, I can be prepared. I respect all muscle cars, and there owners, but dam it I want to have a kill story!!!

MitsukiGT
08-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Sport mode works for me.

Gonewild
08-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Sport mode works for me.

Do you leave it in sport, or use manual as well??

99-LS1-SS
08-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Let the transmission do the shifting. You'll hit the rev limiter MUCH less.

Gonewild
08-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Let the transmission do the shifting. You'll hit the rev limiter MUCH less.

Thanks a lot. Now i need to get someone to bite haha. A lot harder than some people are saying. I saw a Maseratti the other day on I-75, which is odd around my parts, I knew he would smoke me, but it woulda been fun trying. Like i said before, i had a civic prior to the gt, and my dd is a 08 sierra z71.

BluYa76
08-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Get yourself a tune that will clean up your shift points and you'll be thanking yourself for doing it.

GRRRR8
08-17-2009, 05:48 AM
If its roll racing you need to use manual mode so you can hold 2nd or 3rd for the hit when they honk it off. If you use sport in most cases there is a delay and they get that jump on you and you cant make up for it on an equal or faster car.

Learn your car! Use a whole tank of gas to know what gear at what speed = what rpm. You would be surprised how bad you can beat somebody by knowing this and how bad you can lose by not knowing.

GeorgeInNePa
08-17-2009, 06:01 AM
If its roll racing you need to use manual mode so you can hold 2nd or 3rd for the hit when they honk it off. If you use sport in most cases there is a delay and they get that jump on you and you cant make up for it on an equal or faster car.

Learn your car! Use a whole tank of gas to know what gear at what speed = what rpm. You would be surprised how bad you can beat somebody by knowing this and how bad you can lose by not knowing.

Times 2!!!

Also, get something that measures 0-60mph (ie DashHawk or similar). You don't care if it's 100% accurate, what you want is to get that number as low as you can. That means you know how to launch it if you're doing standing starts.

The Commodore
08-17-2009, 07:56 AM

This.

I lost many races before I found out about the M to D trick because I would just have it in sport and even though it is sport, it still takes too long to downshift. It's hard to get back on a comparable car when they get the jump because they were in their gear and you weren't. Even with a tune, the manual trick is best. But, switch it over to d right after so it up shifts for you.

The Commodore
08-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Times 2!!!

Also, get something that measures 0-60mph (ie DashHawk or similar). You don't care if it's 100% accurate, what you want is to get that number as low as you can. That means you know how to launch it if you're doing standing starts.

I wish the DashHawk or a comparable product had roll race timers, like 60 to 90 mph.

Tempest2000
08-17-2009, 07:58 AM
man charlie that is so true... the first week I had my Cam I lost to a stock new SS camaro from a role at 80mph from 4th. With my cam it doesn't really make good power till 4000... KNOWING I should've beat it. He gave me another shot and this time an 80 roll from 3rd TOTALLY different story I pulled away pretty easily. Even though I had more hp the first time he got the jump and it took a little bit to reel him back in.

Lesson learned.

Gonewild
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for the great advice, im going to go out and practice up a bit for the time being. Ill let ya know if i get a "kill" and ill have my old lady video it haha

AUGAH
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Great information. I have been learning the car for the last couple of months. Headers, a tune, a little more pratice and it is off to the track.

G8JOE
09-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Explain this manual to D trick, in other words keep in manual on a roll so I can stay in 2nd, then what, move to D immediately or wait and shift into 3rd by sticking it back to D? A little confused. I have already lost because of the wont shift down deal so I am very interested in the cure, Sport and the Cortex has not helped this issue, still too long to shift down....

G8GT721
09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Explain this manual to D trick, in other words keep in manual on a roll so I can stay in 2nd, then what, move to D immediately or wait and shift into 3rd by sticking it back to D? A little confused. I have already lost because of the wont shift down deal so I am very interested in the cure, Sport and the Cortex has not helped this issue, still too long to shift down....

your keep it 2, and after you start shift it to D, that way the car is not confused and slowly downshifting. that way you don't have half a car put on you before you start moving