PDA

View Full Version : don't do this!

Struggle
08-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Drove to the furniture store yesterday and pulled over the parking cement bumper thing like most parking lots have. Heard a pop noise and though hmm must have ticked the lower air dam under the front end. When I got out of the car the front bumper was much higher the the cement tire stop so I nver knelt down to look closer at it. I figured it just ticked a straight down part of the air dam. Never thought it would have been part of the actaul bumper cover.

When I went to leave I heard an awfull sound and pop and got out of the car to see the front left bumper fascia pulled out 4" away from the left fender:poof:

Looked at the cement wheel stop and there was a piece of rebar that was sticking up from that to hold that in place. It caught the edge of the bumper when I backed out.

I was able to get everything back together with some washers under the lower cover under the bumper and reset the two front bolts/retainers in the left fender to clamp the bumper fascia together.

Lesson learned never ever pull over a cement parking stop ever again.

This mishap could have cost a thousand $$ to repair if it damaged the front bumper fascia. The part it caught and damaged is under the car so nothing to see until I change the oil next time.

Be careful out there.

cobrakid
08-16-2009, 11:43 AM
my wife learned that lesson the hard way too last week.

Now we have a nice scuff/scrape on the fascia.

Ordered Stryker touch up paint from dealer...what a hassle that was also.

p71
08-16-2009, 11:48 AM
more like 600 if you do a gxp swap...

GM_Fan
08-16-2009, 01:35 PM
That sucks big time...

polo
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I remind my wife not to do this every time she drives the car

Struggle
08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
My wife and kids were in the car so I tried to play it cool and not get upset. My wife just said she was glad it was not her that did it.

Total lapse in judgment on my part. I knew I should have not pulled up that far to begin with. :spank:

I am so anal about the car DW is very nervous as it is to drive the car. As it is primarily her daily driver.

I dread the day it gets door wacked in a parking lot as those dents do not remove easily.

99-LS1-SS
08-17-2009, 05:32 AM
I remind my wife not to do this every time she drives the car

Me too. I think I've stressed stuff like that so much that she is scared to drive my car.

JoeSyko
08-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Now we have a nice scuff/scrape on the fascia.

Been there done that. I back into 90% of the parking spaces I park in now for this same reason. Whenever I can't or don't back in I am overly careful to avoid the curbs. Just something we have to live with since our cars are so low.

pokey
08-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Posts like these help me remember to be careful when parking. I hope dementia doesn't kick in some day and I forget!

Chewy
08-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Beat ya to it... http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1925&highlight=rebar

Should have listened to me.

R.Penguin
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Beat ya to it... http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1925&highlight=rebar

Should have listened to me.
"Should have listened to me."

I hear ya' bro.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=8629&highlight=skid+plates

I am not spending any more time on this. After 2 "how to" posts, people still posting about ripping front ends off.

BAH! :nah: