PDA

View Full Version : Standing mile- South Florida

wreckwriter
08-15-2009, 05:42 AM
http://www.milemarker-1.com/

Kinda pricey but looks like fun. I wonder what I could do in a mile?

-Ray-
08-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm guessing 160-168.

wreckwriter
08-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I was thinking a bit more.

-Ray-
08-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I think the law if diminishing returns will get you. You won't be able to get into 6th gear. Not at WOT anyway.

wreckwriter
08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I think the law if diminishing returns will get you. You won't be able to get into 6th gear. Not at WOT anyway.

Unless I tweak my tune.......

-Ray-
08-15-2009, 09:40 AM
You exceed 165 and I'll paypal you 25 percent of the cost.

Devilish34
08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
175 no more

*bald tires are not slicks*
lol

wreckwriter
08-15-2009, 09:46 AM
You exceed 165 and I'll paypal you 25 percent of the cost.

Damn.....

Atlas
08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
im gonna be there participating wreck... im hopin for 170...

chipman283
08-15-2009, 12:51 PM
$150 I don't think that's to bad. Wish it were closer, i would like to see what a stock G8 would do.

Atlas
08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
if you go to ls1tech and mention you saw it there, its only $100...

fiveoh
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
$150 I don't think that's to bad. Wish it were closer, i would like to see what a stock G8 would do.

Probably hit the governer at 137ish. :D

-Ray-
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Damn.....

Notice I didn't ask for anything if you don't.

Mike P
08-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Probably hit the governer at 137ish. :D

Hey, that shit isn't funny.... For some reason my governer is back on???

On the dyno today, Andy at Livernois is like "Uh.... it cut out at like 137 / 140mph" Gotta get that taken out....

It was out, because I've taken it above that.....

Oh well.....

Coming home a new 2010 Camaro SS was heading up north and let's just say, having that limiter sucked because I couldn't pull super far away..... :(

wreckwriter
08-16-2009, 04:44 AM
if you go to ls1tech and mention you saw it there, its only $100...

Yea? Got a link?

Edit- never mind, I found it

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/florida-members/1157414-one-mile-runs-10-11-09-a.html

wreckwriter
08-16-2009, 04:45 AM
im gonna be there participating wreck... im hopin for 170...

OK, if you're going I am too. Its pretty remote I think so will be good to have a friend there.

wreckwriter
08-16-2009, 05:19 AM
I'm in. Got the discount rate. Thanks much for the tip Atlas!

wreckwriter
08-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Notice I didn't ask for anything if you don't.

You have no faith in me Ray!

GRRRR8
08-16-2009, 05:44 AM
I hit mid 160s easily. I think the converter not locking helps so it doesnt bog the motor. I have seen 165 twice on the ETs and runners. It felt fine do to the road I was on, I just wasnt pushing it past that with those tires. If it would do more then that in a 1/4 mile I wouldnt care.

wreckwriter
08-16-2009, 05:49 AM
I'll be starting a thread on tuning for this event. I've got some ideas but want to see others' opinions too.

-Ray-
08-16-2009, 06:03 AM
You have no faith in me Ray!

Haha. Not true Tom. The $25.00 is encouragement!

Thanks Tom. You saved me some cash.

done12many2
08-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Haha. Not true Tom. The $37.50 is encouragement!

I guess his discounted rate is going to work out for you when he accomplishes his goal.

Tom, it will be nice to see a supercharged G8 up on that list!

mika
08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
FWIW, stock c6 z06's hit about 168 or so. We got the standing mile here in Goliad, Texas. Fees seem about right. I wanna say it's around $200 here to drive. $10 or $15 to spectate. Good luck and keep us posted, Wreck!

Mika

grandmacpubah
08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
if you hit 170+ I will be really impressed with your car.

Vertical
08-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Wow, I hope you both do really well

polo
08-17-2009, 04:29 AM
if you hit 170+ I will be really impressed with your car.

I'm already impressed with his car...
but yeah, 170 would be crazy. I just can't see it happening in one mile.

Rich@pm-fl.com
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Good luck fellas... to bad its soo close to the LSX Shootout.

Patrick G
08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
As a veteran of 8 standing mile events, I can tell you how to estimate your standing mile speed (in calm winds) and get within 95% accuracy. Just take your quarter mile mph, then divide by 0.75.

So if your G8 with bolt-ons can run 110mph in the 1/4, it should run around 147mph in the mile. For those who think they'll hit 170mph, you'll need to have a G8 that will run almost 128mph in the quarter.

The mile is a very humbling event. But a blast! :)

wreckwriter
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Hmmmm.... I was hoping for a lot more than that. Will be fun to try anyway.

GRRRR8
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
A standing mile and the flying mile are a bit different Tom.

wreckwriter
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
A standing mile and the flying mile are a bit different Tom.

Yea, I know. Will be on street tires too so won't even be able to launch well. Oh well, its gonna be a blast no matter how fast I go.

GRRRR8
08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Yea, I know. Will be on street tires too so won't even be able to launch well. Oh well, its gonna be a blast no matter how fast I go.

For sure! You couldnt go that fast in Florida without getting a HUGE ticket.

Tempest2000
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
in TN its not a ticket its a ride to jail for anything that resembles racing or at triple digits is at their discretion.

Ktlplxm
08-25-2009, 06:31 AM
We have a mile track here in too, its called the Maxton Mile. The only thing that suck is the tech inspection. For almost anything faster than stock they want you to ruin a vehicle...cage, belts, retaining equiptment, wheels, etc. Although technology in cars has improved by leaps and bounds since the 70's everyone still wants to act like cars are deathtraps

rez0nance
08-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Great to see a couple of G8ers are going to be there. I made a thread on the other board about this... I'll be there with a couple of friends of mine (stock Z06, and an 06 GTO with headers, intake, exhaust, and probably a tune before the event). We heard about the event through a tuner friend/neighbor of the Z06 owner.

I only have a Corsa on my car so far, but in prep for this event I'm planning on putting a Roto-Fab and tune on it - would suck to hit the limiter. :hang: Either way, from the list of cars going, I'm sure I'll be one of the slower ones, but it'll be a blast regardless. Will definitely be great to see what the other G8s here run, as they have some impressive mods.

I'll be #76, in honor of our engine. :)

Oh and Tom, did you open the thread you mentioned about tuning for the event? Would be interested to check it out. Thanks.

wreckwriter
08-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Great to see a couple of G8ers are going to be there. I made a thread on the other board about this... I'll be there with a couple of friends of mine (stock Z06, and an 06 GTO with headers, intake, exhaust, and probably a tune before the event). We heard about the event through a tuner friend/neighbor of the Z06 owner.

I only have a Corsa on my car so far, but in prep for this event I'm planning on putting a Roto-Fab and tune on it - would suck to hit the limiter. :hang: Either way, from the list of cars going, I'm sure I'll be one of the slower ones, but it'll be a blast regardless. Will definitely be great to see what the other G8s here run, as they have some impressive mods.

I'll be #76, in honor of our engine. :)

Oh and Tom, did you open the thread you mentioned about tuning for the event? Would be interested to check it out. Thanks.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=9708

rez0nance
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=9708

Thanks! Interesting read. I may have to keep some of that in mind when I get a tune...

00 Trans Ram
09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
FYI - I did a few standing miles recently. Stock everything except a Vararam intake. I hit the limiter of 139mph at .75 miles. Based on the rate of accel from 130-140, I'd guess that 150mph is a good target for me if I had no limiter.

wreckwriter
10-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to bail out of this event. Moving stuff is happening faster than expected.

polo
10-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to bail out of this event. Moving stuff is happening faster than expected.

Ahhhh, you suck!

oh well, good luck with your move. Maybe you can do the mile the next go round. :)

-Ray-
10-01-2009, 10:30 AM

:(

99-LS1-SS
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Dang Tom! I know you have to be disappointed.

wreckwriter
10-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Yea, I am very disappointed. Can't see any way around it though. We need to fly up to WV and look at some places next week, the only flight we can get home is on that day (and the event starts early).

I'll be notifying them in the next couple days, soon as its certain, so an alternate racer will have time to get ready.

Mlozano
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Damn, that's that's a real bummer, i was looking forward to finaly seeing your car in action, i was wondering why your name dissapered off the vehicle list.

Atlas, are you still good for the extra helmet?

Atlas
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
im not gonna make it either... too much crap goin on with the car...

Mlozano
10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Damn, looks like it's just me and one other guy, not sure who it is.

rez0nance
10-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Damn, looks like it's just me and one other guy, not sure who it is.

That would be me. I'm still going. See you there.

Mlozano
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
That would be me. I'm still going. See you there.

Awsome!

I called them up and they said my DOT approved half helmet is ok, it's for my motorcycle, i'm gonna be the only idiot wearing freaking skid lid, hope i don't crash :(

So... only two G8s, should be intresting, HSW screwed me a little but it really wasn't their fault so i'll be running a small shot of nitrous (~75HP) since i can't cut any timing. I'm still debating on whether i really need the cold plugs i purchased, haven't installed them but from what i understand the stock one's are pretty good so i think i'll stick to those.

Anyone really dissagree against a ~75 shot without cold plugs or pulling timing?

I spent all night at countyline last week testing it out and it seemed to run fine.

Mlozano
10-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Well... looks like it was a bust for me, i spent countless hours today pondering why my car wouldn't go past ~140 and i think i figured it out, one of the douche bag dealerships must have re-flashed my f'ing ECM when i took it in before. It was the speed limiter!!!

I was hitting 140 just past the halfway point, then it would stop accelarating any further, I could have hit ~170+ easy. Real bummer, but i still had fun.

It was a reallly disorganized and way too hot, was able to get 3 runs. They had no timeslips and alot of people where complaining that their recorded times where off by about -20MPH.

rez0nance, it was nice meeting you, too bad the other's couldn't show up. Damn you wreck for not showing up! i could have paid you to reload my tune out there, your car could have hit the 190's guaranteed, probably in 6th too. I hit 5th when i hit ~140 and that's halfway down the track, and i'm nearly as modded as you are. :(

Anyway, Here's a couple videos.

Cheers

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Mlozano9/?action=view&current=1MileRun2.flv

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Mlozano9/?action=view&current=1MileRun3.flv

r33pwrd
10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
That sucks about topping at 140 but sounds like fun!

rez0nance
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Well... looks like it was a bust for me, i spent countless hours today pondering why my car wouldn't go past ~140 and i think i figured it out, one of the douche bag dealerships must have re-flashed my f'ing ECM when i took it in before. It was the speed limiter!!!

I was hitting 140 just past the halfway point, then it would stop accelarating any further, I could have hit ~170+ easy. Real bummer, but i still had fun.

It was a reallly disorganized and way too hot, was able to get 3 runs. They had no timeslips and alot of people where complaining that their recorded times where off by about -20MPH.

rez0nance, it was nice meeting you, too bad the other's couldn't show up. Damn you wreck for not showing up! i could have paid you to reload my tune out there, your car could have hit the 190's guaranteed, probably in 6th too. I hit 5th when i hit ~140 and that's halfway down the track, and i'm nearly as modded as you are. :(

Anyway, Here's a couple videos.

Cheers

Definitely was great meeting you too man! I think the best part of the event by far was meeting all the enthusiasts that were out there. Being out with a bunch of guys that have the same love of horsepower and adrenaline that you do, and who really know their shit, is unbeatable.

Sucks about your issue, I was sure given your mods (that is, the giggle gas for the most part) you'd be getting some great speeds. As for me my top was my first run, at 150 (as indicated by my speedometer). I had to go with that because the organizers were so incompetent that I never did quite get an actual official slip, and given how they were recording speeds it would have been inaccurate anyway.

How were they recording the speeds, some of you might be wondering? Well, they had no actual timing equipment, instead - at least for the first part of the event - a cop was shooting radar, FROM THE STARTING LINE. :wtf::facepalm: How he was supposed to tell what speed to mark as the one you crossed the line with, or how to account for the lag in the radar gun's display, etc., I have no idea.

As far as how off the times were, when I was waiting in line for the second run and could hear them calling out times on the loudspeaker, they were calling ridiculously low times (160 for a ZR1, when the same guy saw roughly 185 on his speedometer). When we got back to the staging lanes, pretty much everyone saw speeds on their speedo higher than what they were calling. Not a surprise given their methodology... The funny thing is, after my third run (which my speedo said I hit 145 on), I stopped before the staging lanes and they told me I did 160. I said nothing, and he asked me "Do you have a GPS?" I think they were just making up speeds at that point.

Apart from that was how slow they were moving cars through, and the fact that they got there late and a few of us who got there on time at 7 am were inside before they were. This made things worse to the point where after 8 hours of waiting, with 140 participants total, we had all done only 3 runs... Those of us who stuck around. A lot of drivers just got fed up and left. I left after the 3rd run.

Regardless, the runs themselves were a huge rush, although with all that was going on, and the sweltering heat, I missed a few things. I forgot to turn off tration control for all 3 runs (realized it this morning actually :facepalm:), and my second and third runs, I had forgotten to start my camera. At least I got the entire first run, and the second half of the 3rd. The heat didn't help either, both for my own clarity of mind as well as for heat soak. I actually got a bit worried on my second run because one of my shifts (I thought it may have been 2-3, but it may have been 3-4) seemed to flare, though it may have been the engine pulling timing because of the heat as well...

Anyway, I heard some rumors that there was going to possibly be another event (run by a different group) in December. We'll see what happens.

Mlozano
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Definitely was great meeting you too man! I think the best part of the event by far was meeting all the enthusiasts that were out there. Being out with a bunch of guys that have the same love of horsepower and adrenaline that you do, and who really know their shit, is unbeatable.

Sucks about your issue, I was sure given your mods (that is, the giggle gas for the most part) you'd be getting some great speeds. As for me my top was my first run, at 150 (as indicated by my speedometer). I had to go with that because the organizers were so incompetent that I never did quite get an actual official slip, and given how they were recording speeds it would have been inaccurate anyway.

How were they recording the speeds, some of you might be wondering? Well, they had no actual timing equipment, instead - at least for the first part of the event - a cop was shooting radar, FROM THE STARTING LINE. :wtf::facepalm: How he was supposed to tell what speed to mark as the one you crossed the line with, or how to account for the lag in the radar gun's display, etc., I have no idea.

As far as how off the times were, when I was waiting in line for the second run and could hear them calling out times on the loudspeaker, they were calling ridiculously low times (160 for a ZR1, when the same guy saw roughly 185 on his speedometer). When we got back to the staging lanes, pretty much everyone saw speeds on their speedo higher than what they were calling. Not a surprise given their methodology... The funny thing is, after my third run (which my speedo said I hit 145 on), I stopped before the staging lanes and they told me I did 160. I said nothing, and he asked me "Do you have a GPS?" I think they were just making up speeds at that point.

Apart from that was how slow they were moving cars through, and the fact that they got there late and a few of us who got there on time at 7 am were inside before they were. This made things worse to the point where after 8 hours of waiting, with 140 participants total, we had all done only 3 runs... Those of us who stuck around. A lot of drivers just got fed up and left. I left after the 3rd run.

Regardless, the runs themselves were a huge rush, although with all that was going on, and the sweltering heat, I missed a few things. I forgot to turn off tration control for all 3 runs (realized it this morning actually :facepalm:), and my second and third runs, I had forgotten to start my camera. At least I got the entire first run, and the second half of the 3rd. The heat didn't help either, both for my own clarity of mind as well as for heat soak. I actually got a bit worried on my second run because one of my shifts (I thought it may have been 2-3, but it may have been 3-4) seemed to flare, though it may have been the engine pulling timing because of the heat as well...

Anyway, I heard some rumors that there was going to possibly be another event (run by a different group) in December. We'll see what happens.

Hey no kidding, they really pissed some people off, i don't think that record high temps helped at all, my IAT (with the heat soak reduction kit in front of the vararam) was reading 135 degrees just before launch, rediculous, will be real nice if they do it in the winter. One of the guys said i ran 132 but that i should add 20 to that (152), which is a complete crock since my speed limiter was going off at ~139 so i know for a fact exactly how fast my car ran for the last half of the run. I was really impressed with my car though, i got up to my limiter in about 15 secs with the juice and about 23 secs without it, the whole mile run took me about 35 secs, these cars where made for this kind of run, not the 1/8 crap at countyline. Wish you would have datalogged your run so i could compare accelaration rates.

rez0nance
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey no kidding, they really pissed some people off, i don't think that record high temps helped at all, my IAT (with the heat soak reduction kit in front of the vararam) was reading 135 degrees just before launch, rediculous, will be real nice if they do it in the winter. One of the guys said i ran 132 but that i should add 20 to that (152), which is a complete crock since my speed limiter was going off at ~139 so i know for a fact exactly how fast my car ran for the last half of the run. I was really impressed with my car though, i got up to my limiter in about 15 secs with the juice and about 23 secs without it, the whole mile run took me about 35 secs, these cars where made for this kind of run, not the 1/8 crap at countyline. Wish you would have datalogged your run so i could compare accelaration rates.

Yeah they had no idea what people were really running...

Oh, I did get a datalog of the last run. If you want I could send it over to you if you want to compare. My IAT started at 155!!! I have an HSRK that I have yet to install on my Roto-Fab, it probably would have helped a bit on Sunday.

Mlozano
10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Awesome!

I'll PM u my email.

rez0nance
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Awesome!

I'll PM u my email.

Got it, I'll send you the file when I get home tonight.

Mlozano
10-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Got it, I'll send you the file when I get home tonight.

Haven't received anything :(