PDA

View Full Version : Who will win? Me vs 08 WRX

fiveoh
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
My brother in law just moved down from Colorado. He has an 08 wrx. He told me its an SPT edition? I asked what that was and he said it had upgraded exhaust and a few other things... that it was beteween a STI and reg WRX. Anyway he says hes never been beat :confused: but then goes to admit all hes raced is riced out civics and v6 mustangs. I then tell him he should come to the track with me sometime. He says "What do you have again an impala?" rant2: I said no a g8 and he says "Oh my buddy has a g6 and tried to race me and it wasnt even close". I told him politely I had a g8 and it has a v8 vs the g6 with a v6 and to bring his car to the track and I will run him. He agreed and said sounds like fun.

I dont know shit about imports, I know these wrxs 60's like a mofo bc of the AWD but will he beat me or even be close in the 1/4 mile? Hes a decent driver from what I've seen. His car is all stock except for that SPT edition stuff. I asked him if he got a tune or anything and he said no that would mess up the warranty and he wants to keep it. Opinions?

Edit: there is a slight chance its an 09(i'll find out tommorow) I know they changed the motor in 09 how much faster are these?

polo
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
My sister has a 07 or 08 WRX. She put a CAI on it, and had it tuned, and it's pretty damn quick. You'll still beat him, but I think it'll surprise you how close it'll be. My sister and I are going to race ours at ZMax dragway here in Concord next time they have street racing (which I think is in November).

Devilish34
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
If he can't shit he's fucked :)

edit ask MGM GT I believe he has a WRX

fiveoh
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
If he can't shit he's fucked :)

edit ask MGM GT I believe he has a WRX

Yeah I'd be pretty fucked if i couldnt shit too. haha

I know you meant shift. :)

Any idea on 1/4 mile times on these things? I looked at edmunds it said 13.6 for the 09 seemed pretty fast.

polo
08-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I think with a great driver that sounds about right. That's about as good as I would expect though, unless he's done more to the car than we know
BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

GRRRR8
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
He will have to launch at 4-5k and might get out on you 1-2 and then you will go by him at about 80.

RODAN
08-14-2009, 07:44 PM
From a roll, you should beat him pretty easily.

From a dig it'll be a lot closer if he can drive it. You have to really beat on them to get a good launch, but a 4-5k launch done right will get 1.8x 60' times. Most drivers can't get the best times out of them. You should easily have 2-3mph on top, though.

2StepsAhead
08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
If its spt stuff then its all dealer supplied stuff and doesn't net big results, most likely has an intake and cat back...wrx with a stock turbo doesn't really go anywhere to begin with.

Devilish34
08-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Opps forgot the.F lol
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

2StepsAhead
08-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Without a tune they usually go way lean and if you don't remove the cats/open up the downpipe you gain next to nothing. I picked up 10 whp adding a cat back when I already had a downpipe, intake, methanol and a tune (ie higher boost then stock). The restriction is the two cats in the downpipe imo, not to mention those mods on my friends stis netted one with a 12.8 and one with a 12.9 both with a 1.6 60 foot. Idk Im biased lol, I had bad experiences with my 3 subarus and all my friends have them still and they don't take to mods well...hence why I switched over to the Evo world lol.

But back on topic...lets say hes a great driver and the spt mods added 10 whp (which is kinda sad for ~$800 worth of mods, youre still looking at maybe a mid to low 13 second car, all the results I see for them stock are in the 13.4/13.5 range. Itll look close if he launches well but the G8 GT with intake and tune is capable of better times...just got get a good reaction time and not get over anxious and spin like a maniac off the line.

Devilish34
08-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Nothing like trying to keep up with yourself lol
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

2StepsAhead
08-15-2009, 12:17 PM
How is the nitrous working out? Im really tempted to do it on my G8...its my dd and I have two cars that I modded to the point that I dont wanna put them on the street too often so Im trying to figure out something cheap, quiet and easy to put on the g8 or else Ill wind up ruining the car lol.

2StepsAhead
08-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Every sound clip I hear with the stock mufflers sounds kinda raspy to me...idk, I have two cars with straight pipes on them that I hate driving on the highway cause of the noise, trying to keep this my nice quiet dd lol. I guess Ill have to check it out in person but Im loving the dead quietness of this car.

fiveoh
08-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Got a look at the car today. It's an 08 and has SPT on the side. Other then that it looks bone stock. Might do a street run instead of waiting to go the track. I'll get a vid if we do.

Devilish34
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I use a Zex wet kit and it works great on the couple times I've used it, but more to come! The Zex kit for the G8 is such an easy install, comes with everything you need, and the lines are all the correct length.

Just get some TR6 plugs and gap them a little closer then stock. And if you want to run a larger shot throw some better fuel in it. Recommend a nitrous tune if your going over a 100shot.

I would get the headers first, pretty easy install and you gain a significant amount of power even if you keep the stock exhaust there's not a big sound increase.

Sky post some pics of your setup

g8sponge
08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
No offense, but you bro-in-law is a tool. First, 2008s were the worst WRX every made. Soft. Most Subaru guys know our cars and respect them. And SPT parts are a waste of money. I own a 2003 WRX w/ many mods and they are not easy to launch hard. Slow up top. The heat really slows them down, too. They are fun cars and can be built to be monsters. But no holy grail by any stretch.

fiveoh
08-16-2009, 06:34 AM
He left the party really early last night so we didnt get a chance to run. Hopefully setup something next weekend.

done12many2
08-16-2009, 07:22 AM
He left the party really early last night so we didnt get a chance to run. Hopefully setup something next weekend.

I would have left early too! :)

syP
08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
lol at this thread..

if its stock.. and isnt an STi... you got the win.

nugget
08-17-2009, 03:38 PM
No offense, but you bro-in-law is a tool. First, 2008s were the worst WRX every made. Soft. Most Subaru guys know our cars and respect them. And SPT parts are a waste of money. I own a 2003 WRX w/ many mods and they are not easy to launch hard. Slow up top. The heat really slows them down, too. They are fun cars and can be built to be monsters. But no holy grail by any stretch.

you ever have any problems with the tranny, i had to get rid of my03 because of the tranny.

G8JOE
08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I raced a new 09 WRX, all stock, in my Regal GS 13.6x@104, he beat me by a car to 90.
My regal is all torque, the GT all HP. If its an 09 and he can shift, he may very well be giving you an open can of whoop-ass.

g8sponge
08-28-2009, 04:33 PM
you ever have any problems with the tranny, i had to get rid of my03 because of the tranny.

No problems. I had the late 03 tranny which had the wider RA gears. Always careful with it. I would cook the clutch rather then drop. My wife has it now, so I expect the tranny will last forever. Still fun as hell to drive it. Wagons rule.

Did this ever happen?