PDA

View Full Version : Bmr suspension parts

Panzer Leader
08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend's son who is into modifications on the G8. He stated that the shop he is at prefers to weld-in the (instead of bolting them on) subframe connectors. Stated that it produces a more rigid frame. This would appear to make sense. Would it be overkill to both bolt on as well as weld? Anyone's input to these questions as well as the BMR system is welcomed.

locrzn#92
08-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I would call BMR first

Panzer Leader
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Yea, I am concerned about welding them in-place, as if you screw it up, its screwed up.

GeorgeInNePa
08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Since it has the bolts to hold it in place, it has it's own "jig" for welding.

Welding in the connectors will always produce a more rigid structure. Bolts can and do loosen over time.

p71
08-09-2009, 11:51 PM
of course that gives you an excuse to crawl under there and work on your car...

I belive BMR said on G8GT that you can bolt them up and then tack weld them if you like...

Panzer Leader
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks. Have decided to go with the bolt on first. Just in case I find that I don't like it. My dealer says don't do it as I already have the Pedders and it will really stiffen up the front. Well, yea I hope.

Panzer Leader
08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Here is the latest. Was told by dealer not to put the BMR Subframe connectors and tunnel brace on because I already have the Pedders System. Further stated that their concern is based on the fact that I have a sunroof and by stiffening the lower part of the car to such a degree it will transfer too much of the flex into the roof area. Now that being said, I understand their concern and these folks have been on the mark so far. And some folks would say what the hell, pay us and we will do it. Has anyone with a sunroof equipped G8, with the Pedders and BMR systems, experienced any sunroof problems? The only problems that I can think of would be 1.) Sunroof jams, 2.) Sunroof cracks, 3.) Sunroof warps and leaks and 4.) Sunroof pops out.

GRRRR8
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
They are crazy as hell! Put them in, DO NOT WELD! You wont be able to get the gas tank out for service if you do.

I really wonder where some of these people come p with some of this shit.

p71
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Here is the latest. Was told by dealer not to put the BMR Subframe connectors and tunnel brace on because I already have the Pedders System. Further stated that their concern is based on the fact that I have a sunroof and by stiffening the lower part of the car to such a degree it will transfer too much of the flex into the roof area. Now that being said, I understand their concern and these folks have been on the mark so far. And some folks would say what the hell, pay us and we will do it. Has anyone with a sunroof equipped G8, with the Pedders and BMR systems, experienced any sunroof problems? The only problems that I can think of would be 1.) Sunroof jams, 2.) Sunroof cracks, 3.) Sunroof warps and leaks and 4.) Sunroof pops out.

Your dealer is an idiot...

if you stiffen up the bottom of the car the top of it cannot flex... (ok it still can but less)

mount a flagpole in cement... pull on it before it drys and the top will deflect alot...

once the cement dries the top of it will deflect far less...

as you probably know, f bodies are made from a mixture of play-dough, wet linguine, raw salami and baby drool. As a result they have more noises than a rattle (hence the baby drool). Many have found that adding sub-frame connector eases or eliminates much of this extraneous noise.

Panzer Leader
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Thank You Both for clarifying the situation. I did all these type mods on my previous car to include subframe connectors with no problems to the sunroof. However, it always pays to get a second opinion. Sort of like the guy with the GTO they wanted to total. Don't know why they came up with this, as they were going to get paid to do the labor. Charlie I might be seeing you soon. My brother lives in Austin, wants me to visit, so another road trip might be on the way. THANKS.

GRRRR8
08-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Hope you can make it!

Panzer Leader
08-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Charlie, will contact you on the BMR parts before I leave here. Will shoot for within next couple of weeks. You are north of houston? Since they have to cut on my knee at Ft Polk, might combine a lot of trips together. BTW do you install the hacked Atari gauges? Also would look at the Roto-Fab CAI. Rather get everything done at once. And I would rather support folks here on the site. You guys have been great with both the info and advice. Guess I will be seeing miles and miles of Texas. You do have a tavern there, right?