PDA

View Full Version : ... how to tell if AFM is enabled?

OmahaGTP
08-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I tried googling it, searching the forum for it, reading my manual. It's obviously something very simple that I am over-looking. :dodge:

Is there a way to determine if AFM is on, and enabled, while your car is driving? The dealer told me a light turned. I think I read you can tell in engineering mode, which I still haven't gone into. I don't have my car for a few days, and I am just curious.

BlueJacket
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
You can only tell in engineering mode or it you have a scanner hooked up like a dash hawk. There is no dash light.

GRRRR8
08-08-2009, 04:53 PM
You can use engineering mode. You can also hear it in the exhaust note.

BlueJacket
08-08-2009, 04:55 PM
You can use engineering mode. You can also hear it in the exhaust note.

Yeah after time you will be able to tell for the most part when it kicks on and off.

OmahaGTP
08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Ahh, I see. I've only had it for a week or so, and I don't think I've let up enough on the accelerator to.. uh.. yeah. :)

Maybe a few times.. just to see. Then right back again.

Thanks!

zepcom
08-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Ahh, I see. I've only had it for a week or so, and I don't think I've let up enough on the accelerator to.. uh.. yeah. :)

Maybe a few times.. just to see. Then right back again.

Thanks!

Left scroll wheel held in when starting car gets to engineering mode (I know you may know this already, but since you admitted that the car is just a week old, thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know what the above were talking about !!)

then scroll down to the appropriate place.

Best way I find to force it to go in, is set cruise control on a flat road anywhere from 40mph to 65ish and listen to the sound of the car. Some cars also can feel the difference when AFM kicks in by the slight vibration in the steeringwheel or gas pedal or both. Engineering mode will tell "half active" or "full active" or something like that when you're on that screen.

I also love the engineering mode that's one notch below the AFM one, the "Throttle Position Sensor" percentage ... it's almost like it's daring me to try and 'win' with the 100% mark... eheheheh

Enjoy the new ride!

--zepcom

96Prix
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Left scroll wheel held in when starting car gets to engineering mode (I know you may know this already, but since you admitted that the car is just a week old, thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know what the above were talking about !!)

then scroll down to the appropriate place.

Best way I find to force it to go in, is set cruise control on a flat road anywhere from 40mph to 65ish and listen to the sound of the car. Some cars also can feel the difference when AFM kicks in by the slight vibration in the steeringwheel or gas pedal or both. Engineering mode will tell "half active" or "full active" or something like that when you're on that screen.

I also love the engineering mode that's one notch below the AFM one, the "Throttle Position Sensor" percentage ... it's almost like it's daring me to try and 'win' with the 100% mark... eheheheh

Enjoy the new ride!

--zepcom

I haven't heard it in the exhaust, but I usually have the stereo up loud enough to drown it out, but I can definitely feel a slight vibration in the wheel when it's engaged.

At what speed does AFM not turn on anymore? Is it 65, or does the wind resistance at a certain point require a throttle position above the AFM threshold?

-Ray-
08-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I haven't heard it in the exhaust, but I usually have the stereo up loud enough to drown it out, but I can definitely feel a slight vibration in the wheel when it's engaged.

At what speed does AFM not turn on anymore? Is it 65, or does the wind resistance at a certain point require a throttle position above the AFM threshold?

I found that stock it was around 75 for me. Easier to run afm at 70 though. If I passed a truck there was enough feedback from the wind to knock it out.
Now that I'm tuned and have a little more hp I can get afm working at 80 and over.

mikesgt
08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
"How to tell when AFM is on".
Boy, I wish I had that problem with my car.
You can tell in mine from the crazy vibration.

MitsukiGT
08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I thought everyone with a tune was turning this off?

-Ray-
08-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Not everyone. I used my G8 for business when I bought it. I was getting paid for mileage. The better the mileage the better off I was.

mikesgt
08-12-2009, 02:52 AM
I did turn mine off due to the vibration, but people that don't have the bad vibration leave it on.

grandmacpubah
08-12-2009, 09:31 AM
mine is off from my vector tune it just says active all the time in engineering mode lool

'02 ws6
08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
This may be a good thread to ask this question, maybe Charlie or Pat G or someone with extensive tuning on these cars can answer this.

Does the AFM have the ability to have the throttle % for engagement increased?

I noticed anything over 11-12% and it'll deactivate. Is there a way to turn it up to maybe 15% or so?
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
08-15-2009, 07:12 AM
This may be a good thread to ask this question, maybe Charlie or Pat G or someone with extensive tuning on these cars can answer this.

I noticed anything over 11-12% and it'll deactivate. Is there a way to turn it up to maybe 15% or so?
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Yes. It can be adjusted by throttle percentage and also MAP sensor reading.

-Ray-
08-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Another good way is checking your gas mileage. :D

gearhead455
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I can't tell when it's on or off, and that's fine with me.:)

Patrick G
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM

BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104You can crank it up pretty high if you want. Mine will run up to 47% throttle, or 96kPa, or around .65 grams/cylinder in 4 cylinder mode before it jumps back to 8. This can allow the car to run pretty fast on 4 cylinders. Of course, some intense tweaking to the AFM spark tables needs to happen as well. The net result is a solid 2-3 mpg increase (depending on speed).

johnh
08-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsukiGT View Post
Not everyone. I used my G8 for business when I bought it. I was getting paid for mileage. The better the mileage the better off I was.

Same here. I like the AFM (except for the exhaust noise impact). Why not save $$ on gas? Its not like having it enabled hurts WOT performance.

Mine will run up to 47% throttle, or 96kPa, or around .65 grams/cylinder in 4 cylinder mode before it jumps back to 8. This can allow the car to run pretty fast on 4 cylinders. Of course, some intense tweaking to the AFM spark tables needs to happen as well. The net result is a solid 2-3 mpg increase (depending on speed).

Wow that's pretty aggressive, but sounds good. I've adjusted mine to stay on longer but not that much. I would think you'd get to a point where the load in 4 cyl mode is high enough to bog or use more fuel than 8 cruising along.

The Commodore
08-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Get LT headers and you will be able to tell.

Patrick G
08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow that's pretty aggressive, but sounds good. I've adjusted mine to stay on longer but not that much. I would think you'd get to a point where the load in 4 cyl mode is high enough to bog or use more fuel than 8 cruising along.I thought it might be too, but after miles of testing, it's still 1.5-2.0mpg better at heavy loads in 4 cylinder mode than it is in 8 cylinder mode. Believe me, I tested it thoroughly. :)

yield2ten
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
"How to tell when AFM is on".
Boy, I wish I had that problem with my car.
You can tell in mine from the crazy vibration.

I was just wondering what the slight vibration was that I was feeling in gas pedal while I was driving today. I've started noticing it while cruising, and was wondering if I was just imagining things. I bet that's what it is. I'll have to try engineering mode and do some investigating, but I bet that's it.