PDA

View Full Version : 08 G8 GT vs Newer Lotus Elise

PleasantonG8
08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
First off my wife's car is bone stock, paper filter and all. I am working on changing that though. I am assuming that the Lotus was also stock and not sure of the year, but was definately newer and an Elise.

First run we started going up this hill from the light at about 15mph we hit it. The G8 pulled ahead easily, I must have had 2 cars by 60mph. I don't think this should happen, or maybe he just couldn't drive.
We pulled up to a light and he says the car just can't do it because he has an extra 70 lbs in it with this new jack that he just bought. That one made me laugh, really 70lbs hurts the car that badly, you gotta be kidding me.

Second run we go from a dig and I pull out a few car lengths to about 50mph or so. It was actually even worst. Not sure what the deal was, but it was an easy, easy win.

I thought they where atleast a little bit faster than that, but it felt to me like I was racing a Toyota Camry or something. Wasn't exciting at all, it was actually kind of boring.

GRRRR8
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
With his 70lb jack I would have to guess he is still 1000 lbs lighter. Isnt it funny how they always have an excuse. :spank:

PleasantonG8
08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes it is. But I still thoguht it would be much closer. From what I have seen they are supposed to be in the low 13's and do 0-60 in the high 4's. That should be enough to beat the G8, but it wasn't even close.

jrc1122
08-08-2009, 01:27 PM
yeah I thought those lotus' were good for sub 5 second 0-60. Which sounds like all your runs were.

So a stock G8 with equal drivers should be a bit slower 0-60 so I thought.

PleasantonG8
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
That is what I thought, but that didn't happen. It was pretty weak.

BigRob
08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
i think only the higher end models are supercharged or turbocharged which tote the sub 5 second times.

-Ray-
08-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I was at a car show at a Pontiac dealer and a guy came in with one of those cars. He got to demo my G8. He was real surprised at how much torque my G8 had. Plus the fuel mileage was sitting on 28.6 when we took off.

grandmacpubah
08-08-2009, 04:12 PM
you have to remember people who get those kind of times out of lotus/suby's/evo's etc...know how to drive them well and are dropping the clutch at very high RPMs

I'm not saying they aren't cool, fast cars, but not just anyone can hop in them and make them run to their potential.

It's A G8!
08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
you have to remember people who get those kind of times out of lotus/suby's/evo's etc...know how to drive them well and are dropping the clutch at very high RMPs

I'm not saying they aren't cool fast cars, but not just anyone can hop in them and make them run to their potential.

When a coworker let me drive his M3 I wasn't used to reving the engine that high so the car felt slow to me. Some people dont they can rev the engine that high.

Tempest2000
08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
most magazines that do the 0-60 tests will tell you that you may pull these times, but you'll only pull them so many times with a stick before something gives. Most cars aren't made to be driven like what it takes them to pull off the fast times.

The average driver will never pull off equal times to most of the numbers in the magazines.

PleasantonG8
08-09-2009, 07:25 AM
I think it is kind of a double edges sword on the mags and there times. It seems like cars like the EVO, STI, and GTR are overrated and you have to abuse them to get the times the mags do. But on the other hand I also think they do a really crappy job of getting good times and suck at driving the RWD performance vehicles. They have quoted some really bad times for the C6 ZO6, ZR1, 2010 Camaro SS, GT500. Do you see a pattern here, it's the M6 cars that they can't drive for shit in. They did however put up some good numbers with the G8 GT. But it's an auto.

RODAN
08-09-2009, 07:26 PM
FWIW, I traded a Subaru Legacy GT (turbo back exhaust and tune) that ran 13.40s on the G8. It was slightly quicker than the stock G8, but the G8 has more mph. However, to get those times, I had to drive the Subaru like an idiot (4k + launches). Most drivers aren't either capable or willing to do that kind of thing on the street, where V8 torque rules... ;)

djchubbs
08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
We have a lotus that comes into our shop and the guy had a jackson charger put on it i would deff line up with him when i have drove the car it just didnt seem to have the pull like the 8 but it is fast.