PDA

View Full Version : Yella Terra Intake tube & NEP

conipc
08-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Tube: One heavy piece of silicone! Perfect fit, best quality clamps provided.
Installation: Super easy replacement of baffle intake
Result: Butt dyno says quicker throttle response, very slight intake roar on heavy throttle, Mileage, actual performance improvements TBD--some say mileage better
Recommended for those who want a bit more without major increase in intake noise or larger investment

New Era Performance: not the first time they receive great reviews--fast service, item on sale for good price

TomPierce
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
The yella terra tube is one industrial strength piece of silicone tube. The heavy duty clamps are there because they are needed to crush the tube enough to make a seal to the MAF and to the throttle body.

I added a K&N filter and modified the stock airbox to allow for more airflow.

You can feel the improved throttle response.

And all for about half (or less !) than the other intake setups.

gearhead455
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I had mine done with the dyno tune and ported TB, thanks Mike!!!:)

esinger
08-09-2009, 05:08 AM
I've been on the fence about getting a Yella Terra tube or going with a Roto-Fab.

I already have a drop in K&N filter and the V8 radiator cover, so a Yella Terra would fit the bill.

If I bought a Roto-Fab, I'd have to get rid of my V8 Radiator cover and K&N , buy their version of the radiator cover. It just seems like such a waste on my part and not knowing that the Roto-Fab would be heads above my current setup w/ a Yella Terra tube.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

conipc
08-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Obviously some controversy, but I think if you free up the airbox a bit, it's not that different from a CAI. Certainly the YT tube is better than many of the tubes I have seen with CAIs, as it clearly has some thought given as to the flow, not just right angle and pipe.
For the price, I think it's well worth it and not that different anyway.

TomPierce
08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I've been on the fence about getting a Yella Terra tube or going with a Roto-Fab.

If I bought a Roto-Fab, I'd have to get rid of my V8 Radiator cover and K&N , buy their version of the radiator cover. It just seems like such a waste on my part...

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Keep in mind that at 6000 RPM a stock engine only needs 548 cfm minimum. (there is another calculation for a race engine but that only works out to 698 cfm minimum.)

Obviously, the greater the surface area of the filter and the larger the diameter of the air intake tube, the easier it will be for the engine to suck in air.

I seem to remember that the K&N stock replacement filter can flow up to 2000 cfm but I don't remember where I saw that number.

The major choke point in all these intake systems is going to be the MAF. Anything upstream of the MAF is going to have less affect than you might think.

If I were you, I'd get the K&N - you won't have to change other parts and I doubt if the difference between the 2 systems if enough to worry about.

If you do go with the Roto-Fab, I've got dibs on your radiator cover :)

gearhead455
08-09-2009, 07:52 AM
I know for a fact,with the K&N the Yella and ported TB my car has better air flow,better sound at WOT and looks cool. If I had more mods like headers,cam then I would go with the New Era polished OTR set up.

esinger
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
The major choke point in all these intake systems is going to be the MAF. Anything upstream of the MAF is going to have less affect than you might think.

Getting rid of the MAF sounds like a goal which can be accomplished with a Speed Density tune, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet on a G8.

Thanks for the information, too bad everyone's just doing Dyno tunes to show their results. I'd like to line up all of these kits and test them on a flow bench.

I''ll let you know if I decide to get rid of the radiator cover:)

gearhead455
08-09-2009, 04:12 PM
IMO, flow bench all you want,the real deal is when the rubber hits the road.

esinger
08-09-2009, 05:03 PM
IMO, flow bench all you want,the real deal is when the rubber hits the road.

Well, I can't argue with that since I like track times to judge improvements/mods. But even that sometimes can be hard to judge, weather differs, track prep, etc... There's so many CAIs out, how can someone determine the better one without spending $3000 to buy and try everyone of them?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, just really interested in Conipc's feedback on the YT tube.

G8JOE
08-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Anyone know where the best place to get the Terra Yella tube? Best price I have seen was 130.00 not sure of shipping. Not too many places carry this item.
thanks
joemastro6@gmail.com

conipc
08-10-2009, 04:20 AM
New Era has it at 130+ ship. Only place I've seen it, and list is 199

Steve
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
store.grrrr8.net :)

gearhead455
08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, I can't argue with that since I like track times to judge improvements/mods. But even that sometimes can be hard to judge, weather differs, track prep, etc... There's so many CAIs out, how can someone determine the better one without spending $3000 to buy and try everyone of them?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, just really interested in Conipc's feedback on the YT tube.

I see what your saying,having a # as to flow,but after you add all the variables you mention which is "real world" were back to on "any given' day".
Just take out one of the fog lights attach a big funnel behind it, then other side of funnel cut off(to fit dyer vent hose). I did that mod on my 88' 5.0 stang.:D