PDA

View Full Version : Pedders Front Tower Strut Brace

Panzer Leader
08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I know many have had it installed. Could you post pictures of the installation. Mine came in but will have to wait until Tuesday because the Pedders Tech was out today. Would like to see where/how the holes are drilled and bar is actually mounted.

08G8V8
08-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Not a tutorial, but it shows the final install:

http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=377

-Ray-
08-08-2009, 02:17 AM
I know many have had it installed. Could you post pictures of the installation. Mine came in but will have to wait until Tuesday because the Pedders Tech was out today. Would like to see where/how the holes are drilled and bar is actually mounted.

If you were planning on getting one, you should have done it when your pedders was installed. The struts need to come out of the towers for install.

Panzer Leader
08-08-2009, 06:27 AM
If you were planning on getting one, you should have done it when your pedders was installed. The struts need to come out of the towers for install.

Yea like right. Tell that to the Dealer who put them in. The STB was on back order. I was not told until I picked the car up. So I guess the alignment will have to be redone. Thats on their dime as well. They thought that the STB was a bolt -on. And these folks are authorized Pedders Distributor. And BTW, when I picked up the car, I had to pay for the "complete Street II kit" and labor to include the STB. So if it has to be realigned the dealer can pay for that.

-Ray-
08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Mine was installed after as I was the 1st G8 to be Pedderized in Indiana. There was no change in my alignment after install.

G8V8
08-08-2009, 01:19 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/106859370-DSCN0309_1387.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/459971106-DSCN0315_1393.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/61377253-DSCN0312_1390.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/65524/engine-bay.JPG

Mine was done after the Track II install because of STB availability. All they had to do was take off the upper nut and mount pieces to allow the strut to drop a little to alllow room to get the nuts on the bolts and get a wrench on them. alignment was to affected.

-Ray-
08-08-2009, 02:53 PM
As you can see from my install, the bolts came from underneath, and the tops of the bolts were cut off.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/Grrrr8%20mods/Grrrr8hoses.jpg

Panzer Leader
08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the photos. Just to clarify. the STB is mounted/attaches/bolts to the strut assembly and the bolts go through the fender wheel well as shown OR does the STB only mounts/attaches/bolts to just the sheet metal of the fender wheel? I ask because are there six holes cut per strut or three? Some have said on other threads that it only bolts to sheet metal, while I believe Pedders has stated otherwise. Any further info would be appreciated. BTW is there a link to the installation instructions? THANKS

G8V8
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
My bolts were installed from above by my Pedders dealer and they bolt to the sheet metal that the strut mount is attached to.

-Ray-
08-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the photos. Just to clarify. the STB is mounted/attaches/bolts to the strut assembly and the bolts go through the fender wheel well as shown OR does the STB only mounts/attaches/bolts to just the sheet metal of the fender wheel? I ask because are there six holes cut per strut or three? Some have said on other threads that it only bolts to sheet metal, while I believe Pedders has stated otherwise. Any further info would be appreciated. BTW is there a link to the installation instructions? THANKS

There are hardened spacers that come with the Pedder's Sports bar. They fit into the 3 holes that are available for the bracket. A drill is used through those spacers to provide a hole for the bolt.
In my application, the strut was loosened and the car raised so the installer (Erik Hess from Reeve's Pontiac) could get his hands underneath to place the bolts.
From underneath, bolt and washer, then the plate with hardened spacer and nut on top. As you can see, the excess bolt was cut off.
The strut tower is sheet metal. Same sheet metal the strut is bolted to.

jimmytt6
08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Had mine installed by local Pedder dealer, Ed and Ray are correct about the bolts and spacers..

texn884
04-04-2015, 07:08 AM
so I need to take the car in to have this done I take it?

BuildItYourSelf
04-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Me as a fabricator would look at it an see if you can use a blind nut in the bolt holes.
What a blind nut is is a sort of threaded rivet looking thing or a press nut that you pop into the hole and crimp it in place with the crimp tool. It's basically a bolt and nut that you squeeze it and it crimps in the hole.
This will eliminate the hardware on the other side.

Also these hinged style strut bars are not that beneficial. Yes the prevent the towers from moving towards or away from. Each other but they still move side to side together.
The bmr will help that problem more.
To me this looks like a good start to make it better. If you add a link from the strut to the firewall in each side it will make a world of difference. But you need a bracket and a stiff point on the fire wall. Also need to ask yourself if it's worth it and if you really need it.

Look into the blind nuts tho. I think they will be an improvement in this install.

texn884
04-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Me as a fabricator would look at it an see if you can use a blind nut in the bolt holes.
What a blind nut is is a sort of threaded rivet looking thing or a press nut that you pop into the hole and crimp it in place with the crimp tool. It's basically a bolt and nut that you squeeze it and it crimps in the hole.
This will eliminate the hardware on the other side.

Also these hinged style strut bars are not that beneficial. Yes the prevent the towers from moving towards or away from. Each other but they still move side to side together.
The bmr will help that problem more.
To me this looks like a good start to make it better. If you add a link from the strut to the firewall in each side it will make a world of difference. But you need a bracket and a stiff point on the fire wall. Also need to ask yourself if it's worth it and if you really need it.

Look into the blind nuts tho. I think they will be an improvement in this install.

Thanks, where would I go for those Blind Nuts?

BuildItYourSelf
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Most your hardware stores will have them. But it's cheaper to find them online.
Make sure there is enough room on the other side if you choose to use them.
The only problem I can see using these is if they come loose and move around they will damage the sheet metal more then a regular bolt and nut.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=wmi5xv

https://youtu.be/dkPhGIaPCVs

texn884
04-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I found a shop in town that installs pedders goodies and I might call them this week to see how much it would be to do a install.
Would I need to do a alignment after install?

BuildItYourSelf
04-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Well it depends on if the unbolt the strut or not.
If they just have to drop it out of the bucket and it goes right back it you don't.
If they unbolt the strut then yes I would.
You could put it back up against the adjustment bt and call it good but I personally wouldn't do that if I had expensive tires.

texn884
04-05-2015, 04:52 PM
OK I'll call them and maybe go by to check them out

-Ray-
04-06-2015, 01:45 AM
I found a shop in town that installs pedders goodies and I might call them this week to see how much it would be to do a install.
Would I need to do a alignment after install?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the shop will say yes, it needs aligned. LOL

Like I said before, place the spacers in the shock tower. drill a hole for the bolts that you received. The guy who did mine, undid the top of the strut and lifted the car so he could get his hands in there to place the bolt. A very resourceful person could encapsulates the threads and pull it through the drilled holes. Not easy, but possible. I'd have the Pedders dealer do it.

travis gore
04-06-2015, 01:49 AM
I'd have the Pedders dealer do it.
+1