PDA

View Full Version : Track day!

whlspin4ever
09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I mentioned in the introduction thread section that I would hit the track today, but I guess I should post the results and discussion here......:thumbsup:

Well, I finally got the (stock) GT to Test and Tune day and man was that fun! Temp hit 83 degs out! Friend of mine got some video, can't wait to see it. Anyway, here are the results:

Only made two passes :disgust: (track was packed today, plus a few rides broke down and caused long delays :sleeping:)

1) 60ft - 2.233
1/8 - 9.315 @ 82.65 mph
1/4 - 14.111 @ 102.05 mph
R.T. - 0.056 sec
2) 60ft - 2.253
1/8 - 9.482 @ 80.92 mph
1/4 - 14.382 @ 100.07 mph
R.T. - 0.179 sec

Not sure why the speed dropped off on the second run, but the car was running much hotter on the second pass. I didn't use ice or open the hood because I got right back in line to go again. I didn't have to sit in line for a long time on my first run, so I'm thinking the heat killed my second run. I ran 35lbs in rear tires and didn't have any wheel spin when I launched her. (Traction Control was off of course) I didn't launch off ideal either. I got the rpms up to around 1000 and just matted it when it was time to go. Did that on both runs. I had the trans in "S" mode and pulled for a down shift around 75/80 mph to keep her in 3rd. My second reaction time was a bit slower but I don't think that would hurt the trap speeds, maybe it would, not sure:uhm:. Overall though, the car ran great and it was pretty consistent.

Anyway lots of fun today. Next time I go it will have some mods and I'll be able to do an A<->B comparison.

Drive her like ya stole her!

GRRRR8
09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Nice runs. Next time remember its all about 1 real good pass. Remove silver engine cover, 1/4 tank gas, 51psi frt/37psi rear, 93 octane before you get to track at least a half of a tank. Guarantee you hit 13s! Leave at idle if has no computer tuning.

PostalCherokee
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that leaving it in regular drive is supposed to be better for drag racing but everybody uses sport so they can hold third gear. Is there any truth to that or was I dreaming?

whlspin4ever
09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the GRRRR8 tips! I did actually take the engine cover off and I had a 1/2 tank of go juice but it was 87 oct. Frt tires were at 45psi so they were a little harder.

I don't have a tune so I'll try the off idle next time. Who knows, I might have the tune and I won't have to make any changes!

Yeah, I heard the same thing about sport mode Rick, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It really did stay in 3rd going through the trap and as soon as I cleared the 1/4 marker I backed off the gas and hit the shifter up (+) 3 times to get her into sixth gear (I didn't have to break hard at this track). I think if you are going to get a chance to make a lot of runs, it would be interesting to see what the time differences would be using Normal mode or sport mode.

Happy racing!

Mike P
09-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I mentioned in the introduction thread section that I would hit the track today, but I guess I should post the results and discussion here......

Well, I finally got the (stock) GT to Test and Tune day and man was that fun! Temp hit 83 degs out! Friend of mine got some video, can't wait to see it. Anyway, here are the results:

Only made two passes (track was packed today, plus a few rides broke down and caused long delays )

1) 60ft - 2.233
1/8 - 9.315 @ 82.65 mph
1/4 - 14.111 @ 102.05 mph
R.T. - 0.056 sec
2) 60ft - 2.253
1/8 - 9.482 @ 80.92 mph
1/4 - 14.382 @ 100.07 mph
R.T. - 0.179 sec

Not sure why the speed dropped off on the second run, but the car was running much hotter on the second pass. I didn't use ice or open the hood because I got right back in line to go again. I didn't have to sit in line for a long time on my first run, so I'm thinking the heat killed my second run. I ran 35lbs in rear tires and didn't have any wheel spin when I launched her. (Traction Control was off of course) I didn't launch off ideal either. I got the rpms up to around 1000 and just matted it when it was time to go. Did that on both runs. I had the trans in "S" mode and pulled for a down shift around 75/80 mph to keep her in 3rd. My second reaction time was a bit slower but I don't think that would hurt the trap speeds, maybe it would, not sure. Overall though, the car ran great and it was pretty consistent.

Anyway lots of fun today. Next time I go it will have some mods and I'll be able to do an A<->B comparison.

Drive her like ya stole her!

Wheelspin Forever: What dragstrip did you go to? Stanton, MI (the mid michigan motorplex) is like just under an hour from our house.

I'm planning on going back on Sunday October 12th, 2008 but I don't know if I can wait that long, it may have to be sooner, but I'll definitely go again on 10/12.

whlspin4ever
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Mike- I hit the Lapeer Dragway. That place is OLD! They don't do a lot of up-keep on that place, but it was packed and we had lots of fun. Lapeer Drag is only 30 min's from my place so it's nice and close. Friend of mine from work is in the Pontiac club and invited me out for the day. I plan going back as well and hopefully get some cooler weather and try different launches.

Is Stanton a nice track to race?

GTPprix
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Lapeer is horrid and NOT certified rumor has always been the track is not actually 1320 ;) Stanton is nice as is 131 over in Grand Rapids. Me personally I'd drive to Norwalk its about the same time as from my house to stanton.

Mike P
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Lapeer is horrid and NOT certified rumor has always been the track is not actually 1320 ;) Stanton is nice as is 131 over in Grand Rapids. Me personally I'd drive to Norwalk its about the same time as from my house to stanton.

lol I didn't know that.....

whlspin4ever: Stanton is a pretty decent track. I like it. The last Wednesday test & tune night was not crowded at all. Maybe less than 30 cars. The next one I'm going to is Sunday Oct. 12th, it should be pretty cold by then.

I can't go to this Fall's MGM at Stanton, because my wife & I have a wedding to go to that day. That sucks.....

whlspin4ever
09-22-2008, 08:34 AM

I hear ya!:puke: I'm up around the Flint area so I'll have to stick to tracks on the east side unless I plan to do a day trip on a weekend. Plus I had my kids with me and a quick trip over to Lapeer was the ticket.

MIkeP - are you over on the west side?

whlspin4ever
09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Quick story on race day:

Not sure if I post 1/4 mile stories here or not, but....:uhm:

On my first pass on Saturday I was lined up with an SRT8 charger. (I talked to him before the race and he said he had a tune, CAI and something else.) Lights turned green and I caught him sleep'n and got the hole shot and somehow managed to hold him off to beat him to the finish. He ran a 13.4 but I got there first! Love when that happens!:first:

Mike P
09-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Quick story on race day:

Not sure if I post 1/4 mile stories here or not, but....:uhm:

On my first pass on Saturday I was lined up with an SRT8 charger. (I talked to him before the race and he said he had a tune, CAI and something else.) Lights turned green and I caught him sleep'n and got the hole shot and somehow managed to hold him off to beat him to the finish. He ran a 13.4 but I got there first! Love when that happens!:first:

Awesome story! We live up near Midland, MI. A little west of Midland.
My parents live in Flushing, MI though.....