PDA

View Full Version : Scratch, Chip, and Dent Repair Meet

Seattle09GT
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Curious on what the interest level would be to have a scratch, chip and small dent repair meet.

I've sent feelers out to a couple of companies that do this work on a mobile basis to see what kind of group discount we can get. My understanding is that dealers get HUGE discounts versus consumers for this work because of the volume - my hope is if I could get 6 to 10 cars together for some repairs from the same company on the same day, we could swing a deep discount for ourselves.

I sadly gave myself some custom rear bumper work on Saturday night backing into a Toyota Camry, the damage is very minor but very visible, a single scratch in the paint that I want filled. I also discovered three more stone chips washing the car despite the bra. One in the passenger front door (I shit you not), one on the driver rear rocker panel and one that can't be fixed, on my driver front rim. The damn marbles that have been all over SH-520 and I-5 with their endless paving projects is killing my car.

I want the rear bumper fixed and the door, I think I can live with the rocker panel as that part of the car is long term probably a lost cause.

Anyway - who would be interested, and does anyone have any insight on what is REASONABLE to pay for a repair on a "per chip" basis so I know how to negotiate?

I'm thinking a date at the end of September or early October, we have too much going on between now and then and its likely with the cruises and drag racing coming up that getting chip repair done before tearing down the track at 100+ MPH seems a tad pointless.

Thanks!

grandmacpubah
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm in again lol

Defeater
08-03-2009, 05:07 PM
A very clever idea. I'm kind of on the fence, though, since a whole repaint is in the cards... the factory paint is just that bad.

r33pwrd
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I can see if my buddy would do it... he does all of park place and barriers cars! He was on here some time ago looking for a L76 motor for his 56. He also has a supercharged black SSS that runs low 12's. Let me know if you want me to call him. Luckily my car has no dents :)

grandmacpubah
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I can see if my buddy would do it... he does all of park place and barriers cars! He was on here some time ago looking for a L76 motor for his 56. He also has a supercharged black SSS that runs low 12's. Let me know if you want me to call him. Luckily my car has no dents :)

awesome! get him going! My paint is holding up really good, my only scratch came from me opening the door into my fertilizer thingy...don't ask..

Seattle09GT
08-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Call him, looking for someone that does paintless dent repair, paint chip and scratch fill. My understanding is there a paintless chip/scratch fill procedure. Basically some kind of color impregnated wax that fills the damaged area and sealed in with basically a layer of "instant clearcoat," that seals it forever. At least that is my understanding on how the stuff works.

I worked for a dealer very briefly and learned that the average consumer pays about a 500% premium over what a dealer pays for these services.

r33pwrd
08-04-2009, 06:35 AM
He only does paintless dent repair not scratch repair. I will call him tonight. His work is top notch.

Seattle09GT
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I just talked to my guy, this is basically what I got:

1) Willing to do this for us as a group, and will do this on a Saturday if the group is large enough (say 10 cars). Normally they don't work on Saturday.

2) If we open this up to other clubs (say the GTO guys and LS Nation) and we have a large group confirmed, he will bring in more staff to meet the demand.

3) There is no, "oh its' $75 a chip," they need to see each vehicle and give an estimate on a case-by-case basis based on the level of damage.

4) Stressed he isn't a miracle worker, there are some dents, chips, scratches that at the end of the day are best fixed at a body shop.

5) Guy has a good reputation.

6) He does it all, paintless dent repair, chip and scratches. Two techniques on filling chips and scratches, either paint to hide or paint/seal to fill. Large scratches can be filled to cover up the exposed sheet metal and or primer. To effectively make them disappear (return to factory) they need to be sanded, filled, primered, painted and clear coated. This goes back to not everything can be fixed.

Told him we would probably do a date end of September, early October and pick a central location for us to get together somewhere between Seattle and Tacoma. He was fine with that.

Thoughts?

grandmacpubah
08-04-2009, 01:45 PM
who is it? company?

Seattle09GT
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Scratch Master out of Tacoma.

Brian Lewis is my contact. If anyone has any dealings, please speak up!

Ben2009GT
09-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm in if you get it to happen.