PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to strip - a bit disappointed

RODAN
08-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Took the G8 to the track last night for the first time (for the car, not for me...), and was a bit disappointed, although the conditions sucked for going fast. Phoenix, AZ in July just isn't a place for good air!

Temps started out around 105 and decreased to the low 90's later in the night. DA's started around 5000 and ended up around 4000.

The car is 100% stock '09 G8, with the 19" Sport wheels and leather, 12k miles, 91oct.

I made 11 passes, and one thing I was impressed with was the consistency. I made 8 passes that fell between 14.30 and 14.37, right at 100 mph. This thing could definitely win bracket races!

All of these passes were made launching at around 12-1300, auto shifts in Sport mode, and holding 3rd through the traps. 60' times were consistently 2.18 - 2.20. Cool down was generally 20-30 minutes, although I did hot lap 3 passes to see what happened. ET was consistent, but MPH dropped ~ .5mph on the 2nd, and another .5 mph on the 3rd pass. No ice, and left the engine cover on. Ran it right off the street, didn't change tire pressures, or take anything out of the car, 1/2 tank.

Two passes were in the 14.40s where I was experimenting with manual shift, and leaving off idle.

Best pass was 14.17 @ 101.33, didn't do anything different??

I'm not a real fan of conversion/adjustment factors, as they have always seemed optimistic to me, but with air this bad, you've got to do something to make you feel better! :)

Adjusting for DA puts me ~13.50s @ 106, and that seems about right...

There was one other G8 there, an '08 with the 18's/all seasons and cloth interior, otherwise stock. He was icing the car between runs, and had the engine cover off. He was consistently 1-2 tenths quicker, and from looking at his slips, it was mostly in the 60ft, where he was .07-.1 quicker. I'm thinking the wheel/tire combo may have been a big part of the difference?

Anyway, what do you guys think, considering the shitty air?

(BTW, my Rotofab and HSRK are sitting in the garage just waiting for my tune to be emailed from Livernois...:headbang: )

GRRRR8
08-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Remove engine cover to help dissipate heat soak. With temps that high a minimum of 1 hour between passes helps a lot. 44psi in the front tires and 33 psi in the rear tires as well as a 1/4 tank of 93 will get you in the 13s with a 2.0X 60 fter.

RODAN
08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I think next time I will remove the engine cover, but I do like to run a street car just the way I drive it. I may play with tire pressures after I get a baseline with the CAI and tune. Unfortunately, 91 is the best we get here...

GRRRR8
08-02-2009, 08:35 AM
In your temps I would leave the cover off permanently and take the noise cover off below it as well. Living in Texas I found this is a very good thing to do for heat soak and better ETs. A 91 tune will wake the car up.

p71
08-02-2009, 12:09 PM
stabillitrac is not traction control...

stabillitrac is an electronic stability program... traction control is a traction program...

stabillitrac stops you from sliding off the road (left tires moving at a different speed from right, too much yaw etc) traction control stops you from spinning the tires (front tires moving a different speed to rear)...

older GMs often had TC without stabillitrac, now they are preety well integrated.

they are both disabled by the same button...

if you watch the DIC when you are programming the car the two systems turn off separately...

this leads me to believe that you could program TC to be off with stabilitrac on if you wanted to.

Minor distinction but y'all know how I get.

wreckwriter
08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
they are both disabled by the same button...

This is the key point. When you're sitting in the car with your finger on the button they are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing.

RODAN
08-05-2009, 09:34 AM
In your temps I would leave the cover off permanently and take the noise cover off below it as well.

I did take the engine cover off when I installed the Roto-Fab, but I'm not sure what the "noise cover" is??

I also flashed the Livernois tune, which definitely firmed up the shifts. Hard to tell the power difference with the butt dyno here at 5000ft, but it sounds good! ;)

It'll be a couple weeks, but I'll get it back to the track to quantify the results. Conditions won't be changing out here for a couple of months... :hang:

99-LS1-SS
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
If you look at your intake closely you'll see there is a cover that looks just like the intake on it. It's supposed to reduce valve train noise. You'll have to lift your injector rails to get the cover off.

Here's the write up on it.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=146&highlight=intake+cover+remove

RODAN
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks!

p71
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
somone do some cutting in here?

G8GTSBM
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Nice MOD, didnt even know it was a cover. I thought It was weird how the fuel rail was kind recessed into it. This explains it . THANKS.