PDA

View Full Version : making the switch to "Premium" Gas

nathanf2009
07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I put premium in quotations marks because octane varies state to state. I believe here the highest available is 93 (Texas). My question is I've never had a vehicle that required premium nore done much performance mods to run it. But now with this car i'm getting into performance sides of things. I am currently running 89 octane...how is this switch? is it not reccomended? I've always been told stay with one gas throughout the entire life of your vehicle. Just wanting some knowledgeable input because it's not that big of a difference and performance mods are in my future. Thanks guys

GRRRR8
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Your fine. Once you do a tune for 93 stick with 93.

Chewy
07-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Mines tuned for 93 and I use 93 99% of the time but when out of town you have to do what you have to do. 91 is the lowest I will go.

Chris

Gonewild
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I was told by a professional, to always use 93 in my G8. Any suggestions??
I am bone stock right now, just got the car

-Ray-
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I was told by a professional, to always use 93 in my G8. Any suggestions??
I am bone stock right now, just got the car

If you are not tuned for 93, you don't have to use it. Nothing bad will happen to your G8 one way or the other.

Gonewild
07-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Great, thanks a lot Ray, save a bit of cash before i get the tune haha

G8+6=fun
07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Don't know if I will get some some slack on this but here goes, When you use 87 89 pump gas it burns hotter so if you got a engine that is time high it will what we call spark knock or compression knock, Now with 91 93 octane it runs cooler so it won't have those problems unless you have a lot of timing or compression in you engine. My take is if you going to run a V8 which is going to be mod the extra 3 bucks you use is worth the money in the tank, all new vehicles run computer control fuel management and if you use the 91 93 octane you computer will get match with the fuel and it will keep the timing and all set in one number when you switch from 87 to 93 the computer has to catch up again so I would use premium in any V8 car that is going to get tune or mod in the future, It takes 3 tanks of fuel to get the premium in it all the way unless u drain every bit out and start from scratch. If all think I am wrong that is OK but that is my 02 on this... any engine that runs 10.1 and up should use premium

Chewy
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
That's basically why we do. They advance the timing enough that we have to or we will get KR. (Knock Retard) which is BAD when we want to go FAST! lol

Chris

-Ray-
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't know if I will get some some slack on this but here goes, When you use 87 89 pump gas it burns hotter so if you got a engine that is time high it will what we call spark knock or compression knock, Now with 91 93 octane it runs cooler so it won't have those problems unless you have a lot of timing or compression in you engine. My take is if you going to run a V8 which is going to be mod the extra 3 bucks you use is worth the money in the tank, all new vehicles run computer control fuel management and if you use the 91 93 octane you computer will get match with the fuel and it will keep the timing and all set in one number when you switch from 87 to 93 the computer has to catch up again so I would use premium in any V8 car that is going to get tune or mod in the future, It takes 3 tanks of fuel to get the premium in it all the way unless u drain every bit out and start from scratch. If all think I am wrong that is OK but that is my 02 on this... any engine that runs 10.1 and up should use premium

The G8 factory tune only has so much timing. Adding 93 won't increase timing. Heat is the enemy here. Not the octane.

RobA300
09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
I've been using 93 since my first tank. We have 87,89,91 and 93 in PA and it's like .02 from 91 to 93 so I use the highest I can get. There's even a few places still selling gas w/o ethanol in it. Just pick one octane and stay with it.

sweetair
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I,ve heard that using 93 with every day driving can cause build up in the cylinders/intakes that if you switch back to 87 could cause issues. If you use 87 there are not the same additives that 93 has so there is less build up taking place. If you are going to run her on a long trip go ahead with the 93 and burn it thru. Just what I have heard.