PDA

View Full Version : What is the ground clearance on these cars?

OmahaGTP
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Every website I find that should have the listing lists it as TBD or N/A.

Can anybody tell me off hand what the front bumper ground clearance is? That would be most awesome. :)

sweetair
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll tell ya' not much. The other night taking a test drive after swapping the Vararam out, middle of my lane, two lane road, deer carcas. Go to straddle it at the last second thinking oh sh1t, and sure enough hear/feel a firm clunk under the car. It caught the enhaust flange. I was pulling off some venison and hair the next night from under her. The front bumper was thankfully spared this mess.

OmahaGTP
07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll tell ya' not much. The other night taking a test drive after swapping the Vararam out, middle of my lane, two lane road, deer carcas. Go to straddle it at the last second thinking oh sh1t, and sure enough hear/feel a firm clunk under the car. It caught the enhaust flange. I was pulling off some venison and hair the next night from under her. The front bumper was thankfully spared this mess.

Man, that is lame. At least it had no body damage. :)

I have a '97 Grand Prix that, with the struts I put in, probably lowered it .75". I just hope it is at least the same, if not higher. Forgot to bring a tape measure to the dealership.

zosoboogie
07-29-2009, 04:36 PM
its really low I ripped off the bumper three time!!

chipman283
07-29-2009, 06:02 PM
I had the same thing happen last week on my way to work last week, only it was a big ass black great dane dead in the road. I heard it scrape front to back.

OmahaGTP
07-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Just picked it up last night. Drove it up onto my stupid curbed driveway at the same angle I would take my Grand Prix at. Moment of truth... hold my breath... and clear! Whoo. I was worried about that. Just gotta be careful. :)

jadesboutique
07-31-2009, 08:43 AM
lol yea you just gotta be careful - I've been lucky and haven't scraped mine yet...I stay away from curbs when I can - although there was one time I barley cleared one when I didnt have a choice but to park there, I think I almost had a heart attack lol. We rented a uhaul trailer a few weeks ago, and the uhaul place said my g8 wouldn't go up the ramp without scraping, well luckily it made it just fine lmao

I also came to the G8 from a GTP - I miss my GTP, had it for 5 years, never had a problem with it but the G8 is a million times better in so many ways.

todds87ss
07-31-2009, 10:53 PM

Can anybody tell me off hand what the front bumper ground clearance is? That would be most awesome. :)

slightly lower than your average dead Armadillo:poof:

PantherGT
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I had a GTP for a long time. We have a Nebraska GP club, but converting over to full late model Pontiac. This car is nice... And I already got the bottom side of the bumper on a parking curb... haha

99-LS1-SS
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure if the GT's are close or the same as the GXPs but my GXP is stock and it is 7 1/8" clearance in the front.

MitsukiGT
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM

LOL, I did that same exact thing a few years ago in my sunfire. I was in the middle lane passing a 18 wheeler. The truck hit a deer and it flew right in front of me. I didn't have time to stop or swerve so I tried to straddle it. I ripped off the plastic deflector underneath and I am sure I was airborne as my rpm jumped as I hit it. I had the deer's tail stuck in the frame and my car stunk for about 4 months, it was almost unbearable the first week.

Larry GT
08-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I heard the front scrape into a curb once, and that taught me how to park the next time.

R.Penguin
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
slightly lower than your average dead Armadillo:poof:
Or slightly lower! :p

gearhead455
08-26-2009, 02:28 AM

Get a tape measure and go out to the car and check. :mellow:

sweetair
08-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I just got a newbumper cover put on last weekend. Zero scrapes so far. We'll see how long that lasts.

OmahaGTP
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Get a tape measure and go out to the car and check. :mellow:

I would have if I owned the car at the time I posted the thread.

Live A Little
08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
We drive "cat killers"!!! Low enough to wack off cat heads, but not low enough for "kitten killers"!! Sorry animal lovers.

POPSG8GT
08-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I have "marked" mine a couple of times. It shows two distinct impacts on the corner where it transitions up. I have had considerable difficulty knowing exactly where the front is in relation to parking blocks. I generally find out "it is too close" when I hear that grinding noise. I think I will fit a camera on the front so I know something about where in space the nose of this car is!!!

Tempest2000
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
use the side mirrors as a reference. for curbs etc. keeps me about a foot off of them..

BigRed585Lbs
08-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Mine measures 6 1/4" to bottom of the front fascia and 4 3/4" to the bottom of the air diverters at either side. How low can you go?