PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 Caliber

LastMohican
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Never knew these cars existed until I went a few months ago to test drive a Challenger. There was one in the showroom.

Driving in to Houston on Saturday on I-10 from San Antonio and I passed one. We were at about Brookshire where it turns into 8 lanes.

I look in my rearview and here he comes! I let him get within about 3 cars and then I plant it. I reeled him in almost instantaneously.

I then slow down to about 55 and let him get beside and match my speed. We didn't honk it off; I just gave him the jump.

I murdered him.

He hung back after that.

I looked up the specs: these are 4 cylinder turbos with 285 bhp.

MANOFSTEEL69
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
You have a V6 G8 I hope ;) Lol!
BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Slizzo
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Never knew these cars existed until I went a few months ago to test drive a Challenger. There was one in the showroom.

Driving in to Houston on Saturday on I-10 from San Antonio and I passed one. We were at about Brookshire where it turns into 8 lanes.

I look in my rearview and here he comes! I let him get within about 3 cars and then I plant it. I reeled him in almost instantaneously.

I then slow down to about 55 and let him get beside and match my speed. We didn't honk it off; I just gave him the jump.

I murdered him.

He hung back after that.

I looked up the specs: these are 4 cylinder turbos with 285 bhp.

Yeah, nice cars, weigh a little more than the skittle I believe which doesn't help it out at all.

No match for a GT with the V8 though.

WARLOCK
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I ran one about two months before I got my G8, in my GTP. I caught him jacking with some poor civic. It had some badge on the back that said stageII I know very little about them, but when we launched from a redlight I could tell it was all wheel drive by the way it jerked into second almost leaping sideways. I destroyed him.. from what I could see in my rear view it looked like 4 to 6 car links.
I never ran a G8 from a dig with my GTP, but ran a bone stock one from a 65mph roll on. From 65 to 110 I had the G8 by about a fender, then up top the G8 pulled like a freight train once my Grand Prix shifted to 3rd. It fell off the cam bad up top in third. so I could see u killing him for sure.

Anyway I think they are neat little SUV's.
look like a blast to drive, but if they are more than $27,000 new its a rip off like most chrysler products.

Punisher
07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
:flame:mopar....:hang:

Slizzo
07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
look like a blast to drive, but if they are more than $27,000 new its a rip off like most chrysler products.

The only problem is that they're not SUVs, not even crossovers, they're just a Neon Hatchback pretty much.

Defeater
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
They're not AWD either, for what it's worth.

I know they exist but I never see anyone driving them... or even admitting to wanting one. They're like the SRT division's maligned bastard stepchild.

grandmacpubah
07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I ran one about two months before I got my G8, in my GTP. I caught him jacking with some poor civic. It had some badge on the back that said stageII I know very little about them, but when we launched from a redlight I could tell it was all wheel drive by the way it jerked into second almost leaping sideways. I destroyed him.. from what I could see in my rear view it looked like 4 to 6 car links.
I never ran a G8 from a dig with my GTP, but ran a bone stock one from a 65mph roll on. From 65 to 110 I had the G8 by about a fender, then up top the G8 pulled like a freight train once my Grand Prix shifted to 3rd. It fell off the cam bad up top in third. so I could see u killing him for sure.

I've noticed that too with the races I've done...even if it is close in second when i hit third its all over...it's unreal how the car pulls from 67-110...I've been too chicken to race past that lol

LastMohican
07-31-2009, 05:21 AM
The only problem is that they're not SUVs, not even crossovers, they're just a Neon Hatchback pretty much.

That's certainly isn't a description that make me want to run out and grab one!

Chewy
07-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Ever look in one? CHEAP!!!!! Plastic crap EVERYWHERE! YUCK!

Now I know for 2010 they are adding a bit better interior pieces to it, but IMO it has a LONG way to go.

Slizzo
07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Yeah, when they made the car they took a step forward from the Neon in terms of exterior styling (IMO) and a step backwards everywhere else.

Motor makes a little less power than the Neon I believe, but the car also weighs quite a bit more.

namewastaken_o_O
07-31-2009, 06:31 PM

They are nothing like a neon......at all, they dont even share anything with the neon.....the engine is not even the same in the srt4 neon and cab

the cab will eat up the srt4 neon....all day every day they are no light weights :O

pretty neat cars, I raced one :O

Blkg8gt
08-02-2009, 06:25 AM
. I could tell it was all wheel drive by the way it jerked into second almost leaping sideways.

Actually they are FWD, they just have really bad torque steer, i test drove one about a year ago. peppy little mini vans they are lol

WARLOCK
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
OK guys my bad i saw it and asked someone else that said the thing was awd. like i said i dont know shit about them except that, like everything else dodge has put out its over rated and under performing.

13 QTR
08-03-2009, 05:46 AM
They are nothing like a neon......at all, they dont even share anything with the neon.....the engine is not even the same in the srt4 neon and cab

the cab will eat up the srt4 neon....all day every day they are no light weights :O

pretty neat cars, I raced one :O

stock for stock....I'd be about even. The neon srt's had 250hp,the caliber srt's have only 280hp...but their heavier. the caliber's engine has not lived up to the hype of it's potenial. At first they said it would be awesome. You just can't push the power like you can in the neon srt. The 'new world engine' as it's called....has an aluminum block... For some reason..it can't handle the boost like the iron block neon engine. I was pushing 29-32psi on a 50 trim on my stock engine. The most I've seen on a caliber is 360whp...so far. I've seen 450whp on the stock neon engine.
Another thing on the caliber is that with the design of the turbo/manifold people are having trouble putting in a aftermarket setup...to damn confined and costly. Now the heads and that mivec valve system is top notch...just cant fit it on the iron block.
Even the trannies are different...they won't swap out. I wished I could have gotten that 6-speed in mine....165mph was banging the rev limiter in 5th.

They've been out for what..2 years...and I've only seen 1.