PDA

View Full Version : painting highlites on gauge cluster

stryker g8gt
07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Not sure if anyone else has tackled this or felt a need too......lol

But I hate that our clusters are solid black, anyhow I have tore down the gauge cluster and highliting the outside trim piece with a dull silver close to our dash trim piece. Waiting for it to dry...now. If I do not like it, hey it's black, I can repaint easily.

i have a few pics i will post when done, if there is any interest in seeing this.

I have done this in the past but with white face gauges, not sure how it will look agianst black gauges.

stryker g8gt
07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Finish Product......below is a link to more pics

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/centeroplate/Guage/

If anyone is interested in doing this, all tht is needed is

Phillips screwdriver
T-15 torx driver for two torx screws on cluster
flat blade screw driver to help depress tabs to disasemble the cluster.
A little rubbing alcohol for cleaning bezel on gauge.
and your choice of spray paint, i used silver plasticote spray paint
45 min project

The mark down the middle is a glare from the sun shade visor.......

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/centeroplate/Guage/customgauge72509031.jpg

Kermit
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Great job, I like that look!!

GT-610
07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
nice job...that gives me some food for thought!

stryker g8gt
07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, while doing this I knocked my speedo calibration off.....So I have to make a trip to the dealer......I have to have my side trim replaced on my drivers seat agian anyhow. (4th time).....

They called and offered me a free oil change and tire rotation for all my seat problems....too bad I use Mobil 1 syn and have a staggered wheel setup...lol

So if you do this, do not touch your speedo needle like i did......"dumbarse"

mtolivecracker
07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
ive been thinkin about somehow painting in a red line or something to that effect.

stryker g8gt
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
ive been thinkin about somehow painting in a red line or something to that effect.

you could probably do that with a small thin piece of red pinstripe, and you would not have to tear the guage cluster all the way apart.

kmac33
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
That looks great. Any chance you could detail pulling the gauge cluster. Will save me time when I pull mine! Thanks

mikesgt
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice job, it looks really nice. I'm glad mine has the red faced gauges. It makes a big difference. I'm with mtolivecracker; I may paint the damn redline on it. Crazy it's not there.

MAYBEN
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
looks good

stryker g8gt
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
That looks great. Any chance you could detail pulling the gauge cluster. Will save me time when I pull mine! Thanks

It is actualy pretty easy
1. Snap out the silver trim piece across driver side dash
2. 5 screws....1 on each lower side of black trim and three above
3. remove black trim, and unhook from black rubber steering wheel boot. pay attention to how that hooks together.
4. 4 screws, 2 on top 1 on each side at bottom.
5. Pull cluster out gently, tilt and slide out, then slide to left of steering wheel. unplug the back plug, take you time with the plug, it is different then most. push in the littel tab and the out side piece rotates backwards.....kinda wierd.

Tate
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Looks really nice. I wonder if you could do around the analog gauge circles a silver accent?
Tate

kyllekkc
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
looks grrrr8