PDA

View Full Version : Hestitation/ Transmission Question

polo
07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I've only had my car for about 3 weeks now, and I drove really conservatively for the first couple of weeks, but I've noticed a couple of things over the last few days that I'm concerned about:
Scenario 1:
I'm driving around 50 or so MPH, and then have to slow down for a red light. Then the light turns green (I'm going 10-15 mph), and I hit the accelerator, but the car doesn't go. It has a pretty bad hesitation before it actually takes off. It also does this at other speeds, like if I'm trying to speed up to change lanes. Is this one of the normal problems with the car that is fixed by a tune? I plan to get it tuned soon, so hopefully that would solve the problem. Or could it be the AFM not turning on all 8 cylinders quickly enough?

Scenario 2:
Pretty much the same as scenario 1, except there's no hesitiation. Instead, when I floor it, the car will quickly shift into a lower gear for a second and then shift again into an even lower gear before it really takes off. It's feels like it's shifting from 6th, to 4th, to 2nd when I take off. This is probably related to the other issue I'm having, but could be different.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for my first oil change (1000 miles, and they owe me a free oil change) so I didn't know if there's anything they could do to help me with these issues. If they're normal and are cured by a tune, then great. Otherwise I guess it's something they need to deal with.

Thanks!!

-Ray-
07-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Common problem without a tune.

NickFormicola
07-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Common problem without a tune.

Sure is. Very annoying.

dandragonrage
07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
The transmission will stay in 3rd around that speed and takes way too long to downshift. That's the main problem. You and I both need to get tuned because it annoys me so much too.

GXPaycheck
07-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Tranny updates done?

SRG963
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
The transmission will stay in 3rd around that speed and takes way too long to downshift. That's the main problem. You and I both need to get tuned because it annoys me so much too.

FYI, She's supposed to hold the gear and match revs in Sport mode :)
She'll even do this in Drive if you go WOT for 4 or 5 seconds then let off.

polo
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Tranny updates done?

Yeah... at least the dealer said everything was updated last time I went. I'm going to check the paperwork and make sure.

edfiero
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I feel your pain. I've had mine tuned, and I still have a painful delay between me hitting the gas and actually taking off in your scenario #1 situation. Once she goes.... its shifts good and hard... if you get it on it , the tires will chrip on the downshift, but holy cow, I've seen my life flash before my eyes when I'm trying to make a left turn in front of on coming traffic and it wont go.

eggydoo
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't know why people complain so much about it.

It is an automatic..........
I went from driving a manual for 10yrs to an auto, but I was expecting it.

polo
07-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't know why people complain so much about it.

It is an automatic..........
I went from driving a manual for 10yrs to an auto, but I was expecting it.

???
It's not normal, that's why we have a problem with it. I've driven plenty of autos in the past that had much better throttle response than this car. My '99 Trans Am never had any delay when I hit the throttle. I'm sure with a tune many of the problems will be eliminated, but with the stock tune, this tranny sucks! And it's not just because its an auto.

It's A G8!
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I blame the dirve by wire crap!!

dandragonrage
07-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I blame the dirve by wire crap!!

Glad to know you know what you're talking about. :facepalm2:

It's A G8!
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Glad to know you know what you're talking about. :facepalm2:

The tranny and throttle body have to talk to each other in the ECM before the tranny can shift.:spank:

chipman283
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
When I get tired of it I drive my wifes G6 for a day or two, that seems to make the pain go away.

dandragonrage
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The tranny and throttle body have to talk to each other in the ECM before the tranny can shift.:spank:

Are you an electrical engineer? Can you explain to us why that would have to cause a notable delay? Perhaps you're not aware of how very fast electronics can work.

Tripower
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Are you an electrical engineer? Can you explain to us why that would have to cause a notable delay? Perhaps you're not aware of how very fast electronics can work.

^ +1

Drive by wire has been around for a while now. All modern aircraft are fly by wire so it works perfectly fine. The "old school" mentality of a throttle cable doesn't hold water.

It's A G8!
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Not all drive by wire are created equal. I driven some car that have had it and they reacted faster that what's on this car. I was told by Vector they cant make it any better and that's how long the ECM+TCM take. And just for your info dan Im aware at how fast electronics work,especially having this big ass screen in front of me that lets me respond to you in real time!

dandragonrage
08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
If anything, the limitation after getting tuned is the traditional automatic transmission, as opposed to like dual-clutch transmission awesomeness that some of the higher end cars have now.

todds87ss
08-14-2009, 12:44 AM
post tune, it still does not shift as fast as my bone stock GTO (even with TM). There is something different in these 6 speeds, that they have have a hard time finding the right gear. Manual seems to be the only way I can get mine to be in the gear that is right. It's just slower.

polo
08-14-2009, 05:26 AM
I just tuned mine yesterday, and haven't driven it around much yet. I'll find out today if the tuned helped my issues.

ArkGL01
08-14-2009, 06:30 AM
mine will stick in second if I get on it and let off it will just hang at like 5k for 3 sec then up shift. Makes it look like im driving a stick and dont know how to shift..

dandragonrage
08-14-2009, 06:32 AM
mine will stick in second if I get on it and let off it will just hang at like 5k for 3 sec then up shift. Makes it look like im driving a stick and dont know how to shift..

Normal. There's another thread about it.

BW G8GT
08-14-2009, 03:39 PM
???
It's not normal, that's why we have a problem with it. I've driven plenty of autos in the past that had much better throttle response than this car.
^+1

ChrisSRT
08-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I"ve had the same problem with mine also, to include stopping for a stop sign and then trying to pull out quickly. Started driving in sport mode so I could see what gear it was in. I've had mine stuck in 4th a couple of times. All software updates are done and the dealer can't duplicate it.

dandragonrage
08-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I"ve had the same problem with mine also, to include stopping for a stop sign and then trying to pull out quickly. Started driving in sport mode so I could see what gear it was in. I've had mine stuck in 4th a couple of times. All software updates are done and the dealer can't duplicate it.

It's g*****m normal

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=123018&postcount=20
Performance Mode Lift Foot Mode
Within Sport Shift Mode there is a further performance feature called Performance Mode Lift Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature is activated automatically when sports oriented driving is detected, based on cornering and on/off throttle application. PMLF allows the transmission to hold the current gear instead of upshifting when the throttle is lifted.

Why don't you try reading your owner's manual before you start talking BS that only makes the G8 look bad? I don't see how the hell you guys can whine about it and use sport mode. If you don't like it, don't use sport mode.

Andy@SquashPerformance
09-29-2009, 06:39 AM
It's g*****m normal

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=123018&postcount=20
Performance Mode Lift Foot Mode
Within Sport Shift Mode there is a further performance feature called Performance Mode Lift Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature is activated automatically when sports oriented driving is detected, based on cornering and on/off throttle application. PMLF allows the transmission to hold the current gear instead of upshifting when the throttle is lifted.

Why don't you try reading your owner's manual before you start talking BS that only makes the G8 look bad? I don't see how the hell you guys can whine about it and use sport mode. If you don't like it, don't use sport mode.

Dude, I think you're misdiagnosing this issue. When I bought my car, leaving the lot, I noticed the same problem. It's a plain old bog that almost results in a backfire, it's that bad. It's not stuck in 4th gear because of this mode that does it. I've now modified my car a lot, and it does the same damned thing.

I can almost replicate one condition that causes it. Car is off, parked at work. Start car, wait 5 seconds, put into reverse and idle out about 25 feet. Stop the car, put in D or Sport mode, push gas, BOG. 50% of the time this happens to me. It did it when the car was stock, and it did it the first day I drove it to work after my cam/exhaust/heads/tune were done.

I will take a video of it tomorrow and hopefully it's the same thing everyone talks about. I've been watching the boards to see if anyone has come up with a fix and I noticed that it only seems to happen on 2009's, for what it's worth.

Andy

wnt2gofst
10-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Dont mean to high jack but seen mentioned about update. how do i tell if teh update has been done to my car. Dealer says oh ya with out even checking how can i check to see. Im new to the whole tranny update and what not.

majesticix
10-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Easiest thing to do is to tell the dealer your car is having some hesitation, shifting issues. They should plug in and load the latest TCM. They've released a bunch of updates (I've had mine updated 3 separate occasions...one in just the past few weeks).

You won't be able to tell what version you have without some equipment and software. Even then, I'm not sure what any hand held tuner will tell you, or HPTuners for that matter.

Also, make sure you get the cover plate for your NEP OTR intake if you haven't already done so. :)

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
The 6L80E is complete garbage, probably one of the worst pieces of equipment GM has ever designed and produced. If I could find a way to get a 4L60E with a decent shift kit bolted to the back of this motor, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

wnt2gofst
10-06-2009, 10:18 AM
hey thanks for the info i will have my wifes work just give updates being she works at a chevy dealer. She checked said tehy can do it. and i have teh cover plate on way. plus nothing installed yet do to me being deployed. thinking of just switching to vararam otr

Habibus
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
The 6L80E is complete garbage, probably one of the worst pieces of equipment GM has ever designed and produced. If I could find a way to get a 4L60E with a decent shift kit bolted to the back of this motor, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

You must have never had a 4L60E. The 6L80E is light years ahead of that weak piece of crap.

-Ray-
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
You must have never had a 4L60E. The 6L80E is light years ahead of that weak piece of crap.

Agreed!
I have the other one in my Silverado.

majesticix
10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
hey thanks for the info i will have my wifes work just give updates being she works at a chevy dealer. She checked said tehy can do it. and i have teh cover plate on way. plus nothing installed yet do to me being deployed. thinking of just switching to vararam otr

Good deal, let us know how things work out.

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM

I'd rather take a tranny I can build up to be a bit stronger than deal with something with flaring issues and inconsistent shifting attributes. Not to mention only having 4 gears instead of 6 to stop bullshit gear hunting.

In all honesty, I'd rather have a built 200r4 in place of those 2. Or a TH350 or 400 if I really needed to go 3 speed for some reason.

-Ray-
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/customers/rpmcustomers.htm

majesticix
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
^ Mike was just telling my about that yesterday...I may be doing that seeing as my trans may be on its way out. Waiting for him to slap one in his Camaro and get some feedback.

NYG8GT
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Holy mother of God, I wish I could grenade my tranny and have one of those things installed in place under warranty lol.

-Ray-
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
RPM was one of the sponsors of The Indy HP Street car shootout I raced in a few months back.