PDA

View Full Version : Camaro transmission problems --- GXP?

GR8 GXP
07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I've been reading about the problem with the Tremec tranny in the Camaro and wondered if anyone has had the same experience in their GXP....aren't they the same and do you think they'll recall the GXP's for the same fix?

Thanks!

Charlie Daul
'09 White Hot 6M no sunroof GXP
'05 Saab 9-5 Aero
'67 GTO hardtop 4-spd

-Ray-
07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
What kind of problems?

Andy@Livernois
07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Some 2010 camaro's were snapping output shafts on the tr6060 transmissions. To my knowledge this only affects the camaro, not the GXP...

69project
07-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I believe the output shaft has been braking. Either that or the input, can't remember which one. The only thing I could think that would cause something like that is really launching hard but what do I know, I've yet to break a manual trans. Automatics however, I am pretty good at braking.

From what I read on GM Inside News, GM found a fix but won't say what it is but they brought back some suspect cars did the work and now the problem is fixed according to GM.

This is the same transmission that is put in the Vette, CTS-V, Shelby GT500, and I believe the Viper as well as the GXP. So this thing is pretty strong so I don't know what was causing the failure. I have yet to have a problem with mine and I have about 2k miles on it.

GR8 GXP
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
From Autoblog.com.....

"Last week, we told you about a problem some members of the Camaro5 forums who own V8-powered SS models equipped with the Tremec six-speed manual transmission were reporting. The owners were experiencing a broken output shaft on hard launch; a serious problem that will likely render their brand new Bowtie pony car immobile. General Motors responded by putting a hold on V8 Camaros with manual trannies at its Oshawa assembly plant, but until now, there hasn't been a definitive plan for replacing the affected transmissions.

Camaro5 is now reporting that GM will pick up the phone and call all owners who may have the defective gearbox, presumably to schedule time at the dealership to fix the problem parts. GM told Camaro5 that the calls will take place in a couple weeks, after an internal investigation regarding the issue is complete."

At this point, we don't know what happened to cause the problem with the Tremec 6060 transmission, nor do we know exactly what parts GM will need to repair. What we do know, however, is that we'll update you as soon as we have more information.

-Ray-
07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Unlikely a recall event for the GXP.

jnak
07-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I read somewhere that it was believed to be a faulty batch of transmissions. So I doubt the GXP would be affected since it's built at a different plant.

69project
07-25-2009, 03:37 PM
It's the same TR6060 Tremec Trans that goes in both cars and that transmission is produced in Mexico.

Supposedly GM has fixed the issue but is not publishing what the fix was.