PDA

View Full Version : Magnacharger Questions

sacsrpc
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
After 4 months of having my magnacharger I need some help with my setup. So far it has been a reliable combo with my stock G8......but the stock magnacharger tune totally blows. It is still a sore subject with me,...had I known it was this bad I would have just taken my car to Livernois for the installation. Oh well, lesson learned....I purchased HP Tuners to fix the transmission shifting issues and would like to start looking at the stock tune.

I took my car to the track for the last time last week. It consistently ran 12.9's with 1.9x 60ft times. the trap times were roughly 110 mph. (1/8th times were also consistent in the 8.47 range). I am not sure what the DA was on the night I raced, but we were at sea level with 82 degree temps and high humidity.

So now on to the questions.

IAT's - When I installed the kit I was living in Michigan so I put a 50/50 mix of dexcool and water in since I did not want to have anything freezing in the winter. In 70 degree Michigan weather I always saw a 20 degree difference over ambient when comparing my intake temps (under boost). In Florida in mid 90 degree weather I am seeing 30 - 35 over ambient when in boost. The heat exchanger is clean and my pump is running fine. What are other guys seeing? would I be see anything better with less dexcool? I will be back in Michigan this winter so I do not want to make the switch if the gains are negligible.

Timing/Tune- I logged my quarter miles runs and I am not getting any knock retard or codes. With 93 octane and IATs in the 120 range I am getting about 16 degrees of timing at the top of 3rd gear. My stock o2 voltages are in the range of .89-.915 at WOT.

I guess I am trying to figure out why my car is not running as fast as I would like. Even with the weather I figured I would be able to get somewhere near a 12.6-12.7 with the 60ft times I was getting.

My car is 100% stock except for the magnacharger. I have the 3.3" pulley and run 93 octane. Any suggestions or comparisons to other maggie times or tunes would be appreciated.

wreckwriter
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Have you tweaked your IAT table? If not, 120 is definitely pulling some timing. I don't expect your coolant mix will affect that much, 50/50 is recommended mix.

Stock exhaust is likely also holding you back a bit as well as stock intake airbox.

norm8332
07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I recommend a better tune. You should be able to easily do better than a 12.9. That tune isn't setup for 93 octane. It's only setup for 91. You might be able to get away with a 3.2" pulley with the stock injectors etc. That will make a noticeable improvement. I have one for sale cheap in the sale area if interested.

sacsrpc
07-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Have you tweaked your IAT table? If not, 120 is definitely pulling some timing. I don't expect your coolant mix will affect that much, 50/50 is recommended mix.

Stock exhaust is likely also holding you back a bit as well as stock intake airbox.

The only tuning I have done thus far is the transmission tuning. I have not messed with the IAT tables yet, but based on my logs and comparing them to my IAT table I am loosing 2 degrees of timing with my iats at that level.

One point of clarification, when I was talking about the coolant mix I was referring to what I was running in the intercooler. I have some people trying to convince me to run water plus watter wetter and a lubricant in the intercooler (no dexcool).

I recommend a better tune. You should be able to easily do better than a 12.9. That tune isn't setup for 93 octane. It's only setup for 91. You might be able to get away with a 3.2" pulley with the stock injectors etc. That will make a noticeable improvement. I have one for sale cheap in the sale area if interested.

I agree that a tune will definitely help. The only problem is I have not seen a 93 octane magnacharger tune floating around. I am sure just bumping the timing up a to the 93 octane tune would help alot...I am just not sure what the timing map looks like for the 93 octane tune.

I saw your post on the pulleys, I will probably grab one once I get this current setup straightened out.

So if this works out right, a tenth or two from the stock exhaust and airbox, and a tenth or two from the tune would get me near mid 12's based on my current times.

Anyone have a 93 octane maggie tune they want to share? I am just interested in seeing what the timing tables look like.

Rich@pm-fl.com
07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
The tune is what is holding you back. With a proper tune, you should see mid 12's easy. Where abouts in Florida are you?

sacsrpc
07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
The tune is what is holding you back. With a proper tune, you should see mid 12's easy. Where abouts in Florida are you?

I am over in West Palm Beach.

wreckwriter
07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I am over in West Palm Beach.

In South Florida you have basically 3 choices for tuning:

1- Travel to St. Pete and get tuned by Bob or Ian at Rich's shop (PM-FL)
2- Wait til Jeremy Formato comes down here again (usually every couple months)
3- There's a tuner in Boca, I've never used him but he has a pretty good rep: Masport Speed Shop- http://www.masportspeedshop.com/servlet/StoreFront

Mail order tune is not a great option for a blown car.