PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Pedders....

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
MODS: Please delete this thread, i posted in the wrong forum.

Ok guys, the time has come to do some suspension work. I have to get the front strut issue taken care of ASAP. The car feels incredibly lose. and i my alignment is off. Steering wheel is turned to the left and drifts hard to the right LOL. Anyways I have Chris at Sellers Auto Sports looking to seeing if he can get a hold of the parts i need.

So here as what im looking at getting done. I'm on a budget for this but im open to opinions on what else i should get. "Best bang for the buck" come in mind.

5851 Heavy Duty Strut Mounts (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=5851)

5030 Strut Mount Bearing (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=5030)

and

The street 1 package (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=G8+STREET+I)

All good you think?

Mike P
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Yep, sounds like exactly what I want to have done. You may want to add:

• BMR Trailing Arms = $139.95 for a pair
• Pedder’s Rear Lower Knuckle Bushings EP 7266 = $96

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Aw shit... im losing it today, i put this in the camaro forums LOLZ.

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok guys, the time has come to do some suspension work. I have to get the front strut issue taken care of ASAP. The car feels incredibly lose. and i my alignment is off. Steering wheel is turned to the left and drifts hard to the right LOL. Anyways I have Chris at Sellers Auto Sports looking to seeing if he can get a hold of the parts i need.

So here as what im looking at getting done. I'm on a budget for this but im open to opinions on what else i should get. "Best bang for the buck" come in mind.

5851 Heavy Duty Strut Mounts (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=5851)

5030 Strut Mount Bearing (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=5030)

and

The street 1 package (https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=G8+STREET+I)

All good you think?

MODS: Please delete the thread in the Camaro forums, i fucked up. My apologies.

Devilish34
07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fail-owned-tanning-fail.jpg?w=500&h=379

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fail-owned-easter-basket-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375

Devilish34
07-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Aw shit... im losing it today, i put this in the camaro forums LOLZ.

Today??:nah:

beach
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Absolutely. Great parts, nationwide service places and warranty, and proven in the homeland of Oz for these cars and platform mates before them.

I have exactly that combo, just plus springs and soon dampers, and the Street I bushings plus swapping out the trashed from strut bushings/bearings made such a dramatic difference in the tightness, handling, and steering/braking feel of my car, I couldn't believe it afterwards.

The part prices aren't bad but labor can do a number, so if really tight, you could always just have the strut bushings/bearings done and your alignment put back to correct and have a nice change. If you can do more, the rear diff/cradle bushings make it much more solid and the front radius rods sharpen the steering and make braking crisper by eliminating extra slop and front/back wheel motion with the stock bits.

Then you can always keep building if and when you want more...and with Pedders parts for it all, that are all engineered as a system together, it just gets better and better and is all "in sync". Bushings first, from struts to the rest, and then more if you want/can.

Mike P
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Yep, sounds like exactly what I want to have done. You may want to add:

• BMR Trailing Arms = $139.95 for a pair
• Pedder’s Rear Lower Knuckle Bushings EP 7266 = $96

Rich@pm-fl.com
07-21-2009, 06:12 PM
If you are keeping the factory struts, you will also need 4306 x 2 Clevis Bolts to reinstall the strut.

That is a great start you have with Pedders, you will love it!

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Absolutely. Great parts, nationwide service places and warranty, and proven in the homeland of Oz for these cars and platform mates before them.

I have exactly that combo, just plus springs and soon dampers, and the Street I bushings plus swapping out the trashed from strut bushings/bearings made such a dramatic difference in the tightness, handling, and steering/braking feel of my car, I couldn't believe it afterwards.

The part prices aren't bad but labor can do a number, so if really tight, you could always just have the strut bushings/bearings done and your alignment put back to correct and have a nice change. If you can do more, the rear diff/cradle bushings make it much more solid and the front radius rods sharpen the steering and make braking crisper by eliminating extra slop and front/back wheel motion with the stock bits.

Then you can always keep building if and when you want more...and with Pedders parts for it all, that are all engineered as a system together, it just gets better and better and is all "in sync". Bushings first, from struts to the rest, and then more if you want/can.

So just the bushing really make that big of a difference? I'm a total noob when it comes to suspension so bare with me lol. I'll see what else i can do after i get a quote from Chris. I'm hoping that i can afford what i picked out. After doing some research it seems the bushings are the first the people usually change out. I'll check out the rear diff bushings as well.

Rich, i plan on keeping the factory struts, at least for now. Thanks for letting me know about the Clevis bolts as well.

Mike, When do you plan on doing your setup?

I really hope this well solve the problem with the car feeling loose. Only 12k miles and have to replace shit. :(

G8V8
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
You are right on the money with these starting choices. This is the most bang for the buck. You can build on these as you see fit. Struts and springs would be a great next step as would selected other bushings.

The pieces of the Street I kit will realy make the car feel tighter. The suspension set and wiggle in the rear that happens in corners will be gone. The raduis rod bushings and increased camber will help it track much better and it will have a better self-centering feel. These pieces and a good alignment will have you grinning everytime you drive it.

A lot of the G8s bolts and / or nuts are one time only, TTY types. This includes the rear toe and camber adjuster nuts.

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Today??:nah:

Its getting worse as every day goes by. I need a vacation... and a new life.:hang:

beach
07-21-2009, 06:39 PM
So just the bushing really make that big of a difference? I'm a total noob when it comes to suspension so bare with me lol. I'll see what else i can do after i get a quote from Chris. I'm hoping that i can afford what i picked out. After doing some research it seems the bushings are the first the people usually change out. I'll check out the rear diff bushings as well.

Rich, i plan on keeping the factory struts, at least for now. Thanks for letting me know about the Clevis bolts as well.

I really hope this well solve the problem with the car feeling loose. Only 12k miles and have to replace shit. :(

Yes, the bushings, yes. The steering immediately was so much smoother and sharper (combo front strut bushings/bearings and the radius rod bushings) it felt like butter vs. before, which also made the front more solid and stable (understandable, with so much slop taken out) and the rear diff/cradle bushings eliminated the stock wiggle/jiggle in the rear end it's both more solid on acceleration and hunkers down more securely in turns/acceleration.

Springs and struts, if not sway bars, also make the next big differences but you'd be amazed what bushings can do--they just can't help much in the damping/ride over bumps, etc. category, so you'll still have the stock softer "whispy" ride, which is great if you're still a fan.

Frank from Rocksand Racing in PA said it best the first time I ever talked to him...your butt tells you a different thing than someone else's does when you drive your car, so what you might want to improve or change isn't necessarily what someone else does. Hence why he/Rocksand also doesn't push the "packages" unless it's a case where what you want is all in one of them and it will save you money. This is just one of many installers, but it's probably the best recommendation/helper when it comes to the suspension and Pedders in particular;) Always feel free to ask and if anyone near you has a Pedders equipped G8, in any form, maybe they can let you go for a spin.

Mike P
07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
So just the bushing really make that big of a difference? I'm a total noob when it comes to suspension......

It's probably not going to be right away. As the mod money has kinda ran dry for right now.

I'm heading down to Vector tomorrow Weds. 7/22 to get some tuning work done. And hopefully will get a ported intake manifold & ud pulley put on.

All this talk about Pedder's suspension mods makes my mouth water!

I can't wait to do this!

fiveoh
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Dont want to hijack your thread but I had a similar question. I've been thinking about getting some Pedders stuff too but am kind of confused as to what the different packages are good for. I see on their website they have drag packages and street packages and touring packages. If I got one of the street or touring packages is it going to hurt me as far as hooking up at the drag strip? I'm assuming the drag packages wont handle as well? Basically I'd like a better handling tighter ride but the only track the car will see is the drag strip so I dont want to hurt performance there.

G8GT594
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes, the bushings, yes. The steering immediately was so much smoother and sharper (combo front strut bushings/bearings and the radius rod bushings) it felt like butter vs. before, which also made the front more solid and stable (understandable, with so much slop taken out) and the rear diff/cradle bushings eliminated the stock wiggle/jiggle in the rear end it's both more solid on acceleration and hunkers down more securely in turns/acceleration.

Springs and struts, if not sway bars, also make the next big differences but you'd be amazed what bushings can do--they just can't help much in the damping/ride over bumps, etc. category, so you'll still have the stock softer "whispy" ride, which is great if you're still a fan.

Frank from Rocksand Racing in PA said it best the first time I ever talked to him...your butt tells you a different thing than someone else's does when you drive your car, so what you might want to improve or change isn't necessarily what someone else does. Hence why he/Rocksand also doesn't push the "packages" unless it's a case where what you want is all in one of them and it will save you money. This is just one of many installers, but it's probably the best recommendation/helper when it comes to the suspension and Pedders in particular;) Always feel free to ask and if anyone near you has a Pedders equipped G8, in any form, maybe they can let you go for a spin.

Thanks for the info. If the bushings really do make that big of a difference can't imagine everything else! Just worried about the labor charges. But i really want to get the Street 1 package and front bushing etc done. Car feels very sloppy and although i only have minor effects of the bushings going bad its getting worse.

G8GT594
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Thus far the Street 1 package and all thats needed for the front bushing issue is a go. I have Sellers Auto Sports checking to see if they can get the parts and install ASAP.