PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Mistake

norm8332
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I recently bought some cheap rugs to help preserve my drivers side factory rugs and carpet from mud, etc. On my last car I did it and when I traded it it still looked good.

Well today I was driving on a 2 lane in each direction thruway in a 65 mph zone and up ahead a cop had pulled someone over. So everyone in front of me (a few cars) Slowed way down to 55 as we passed the cop. Then the car in front of me moved over to the right so I punched it to floor for the fun of it intending to let off at 75. But the gas pedal got stuck wide open! I started stomping on and it wouldn't release! I look up just as the speedo hit 110 and start to push the brake with my left foot. that stopped the speed from increasing further.

Then I thought for a millisecond about turning off the key..But I didnt know what that would do at 100. (I didnt want to break anything) finally It dawned on me to pull back on the rug with my right foot.. That did it. Whew..

Then I look ahead while still going like 100 and there is another cop with someone pulled over! I jammed on the brakes hard before I got to him and got off the thruway and wait at a light. While waiting a cop pulls up to me in the right turn lane and just sits there even though he could go, and all of a sudden another cop is on the other direction at the light. I'm thinking that if they got me, they are never going to believe me that the gas peddal was stuck and I'm going to get reckless driving.

But to my great relief they did not pull me over even though I'm sure the one cop must have ran a check on my plate.

Forget about non attached rugs. The gas peddle is so light it gets stuck! I never had this problem before.

Also what do you think would have happened if I turned off the key at 110?

On an old car I had I blew Up my exhaust, But it wasnt fuel injected.

wreckwriter
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, the first thing that would have happened is your wheel would have locked unless you were thinking quickly enough to instantly turn key back to on position. If you were you would be without power steering and power brakes. Likely you could have gotten her slowed down safely but it would have been dicey.

GeorgeInNePa
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Push the shifter in to the N position, that will get a second or to to get your bearings. Then fix your problem.

Crazy Paul
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/fail/eject.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/fail/ejectn.jpg

MissNaySimon
09-21-2008, 07:13 AM
^ Word.