PDA

View Full Version : What If: (stock) 2009 Pontaic G8 GXP A6 vs. (stock) 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS A6.....

Mike P
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Who wins?
The GXP has 3.27 gears, does the A6 Camaro have those as well? I saw a 2SS A6 Camaro with 3.27 gears, I'm not sure you can order 3.45 gears with an automatic? I know it's got the 3.45 gears with the M6 with the LS3.

The weight is pretty much the same at 4k lbs. The Camaro has 20 inch wheels the GXP has 19"

I would think this would be close, but I'd have to go with the Camaro by a tenth or two.....

Slizzo
07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Who wins?
The GXP has 3.27 gears, does the A6 Camaro have those as well? I saw a 2SS A6 Camaro with 3.27 gears, I'm not sure you can order 3.45 gears with an automatic? I know it's got the 3.45 gears with the M6 with the LS3.

The weight is pretty much the same at 4k lbs. The Camaro has 20 inch wheels the GXP has 19"

I would think this would be close, but I'd have to go with the Camaro by a tenth or two.....

Yeah, should be close, Camaro is down about 15HP stock, but is also carting around about 100-200 less LBS according to GM's figures..

p71
07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
The gearing on a camaro is tranny dependent...

If you try to buy a diff for a camaro they ask you what tranny you have.

'02 ws6
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd say the best driver would win, as they're almost even keeled in the performance department.

fiveoh
07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
GXP by a little imo. LS3>L99 stock vs stock.

Mike P
07-19-2009, 05:28 PM
GXP by a little imo. LS3>L99 stock vs stock.

The G8 GXP in an automatic is an L99, so is the Camaro SS in an automatic A6. It would be L99 vs. an L99 right?

01350ta
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I think it would a drivers race.

fiveoh
07-19-2009, 05:41 PM
The G8 GXP in an automatic is an L99, so is the Camaro SS in an automatic A6. It would be L99 vs. an L99 right?

I'm pretty sure the gxp a6 is an ls3. It doesn't have dod so why would it be an l99

Mike P
07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the gxp a6 is an ls3. It doesn't have dod so why would it be an l99

Your right, my bad. I didn't know that......

The Commodore
07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd go GXP.

Or at least that's what I would buy.

Mike P
07-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I'd go GXP.

Or at least that's what I would buy.

Me too :)

ss1_2010
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I bet on the camaro!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

OLD_GOAT
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Auto GXP vs. auto Camaro..........GXP

Auto GXP vs. manual Camaro...........drivers race

I can tell you the night my GXP A6 ran it's 13.28 http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254127&postcount=4 there was a manual Camaro running 13.4 or so and SRT8 Challengers running 13.8. This may be a one time deal or rare occasion, but it did happen. The guy driving the Camaro that night, was a real good driver and later that night they did a tune and CAI and turned 13.00 to 13.10. I can say that if I knew how to keep my car from going into 4th about 100' from the line, then I would have been in the 13.teens or lower, probably not in the high 12's. The DA that night was around 2200.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/2010-camaro/1114575-track-results-2010-camaro-ss.html

Here is the thread. Please note this is for information only and not hinting or indicating anything about any car or driver. I'm just using it as an example of car vs. car on the same night at the same track. The Camaro may have had 100 miles on the odometer, while I had about 400 miles on the odometer. As a matter of fact, the guy doing the tuning on the Camaro may one day tune my GXP.

I did have a rotofab CAI, but stock tune. With a tune, I would have been in the 12.'s, no doubt about it. I think we all know how much a tune will wake up an automatic versus a manual.

majesticix
08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I need to get a ride in the GXP. The manual SS Camaro is a beast. It would take down my modded GT any day of the week (assuming they can drive a manual). Such a fun car.

Andy@Livernois
08-04-2009, 06:14 PM
i've got money on the GXP all things equal and both are dead stock. if both are tuned only, camaro as the L99 picks up some serious torque with a tune...

ss1_2010
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
my stock m6 camaro ran 13.18@109mph bone stock with only 700 miles on it 4 days after I bought it.

fiveoh
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cNVIqZ0XM

Yes its a manual so i guess its off topic. :)

The Commodore
08-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Meh

Not sure about that...

johnbell2
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
They're both nice cars. I picked four doors, so G8 for me.

Mike P
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Yes its a manual so i guess its off topic. :)

I wonder what dragstrip that frickin' Camaro is running at? I'm guessing Texas somewhere.

12.3 with just a tune & catback!!!??? EFFFin' A!!! :wacko:

Damn!

That is really frickin' good.....

h6cNVIqZ0XM

GeorgeInNePa
08-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I wonder what dragstrip that frickin' Camaro is running at? I'm guessing Texas somewhere.

12.3 with just a tune & catback!!!??? EFFFin' A!!! :wacko:

Damn!

That is really frickin' good.....

h6cNVIqZ0XM

According to the scoreboard it's Dallas Raceway.

;)

fiveoh
08-05-2009, 04:36 AM
According to the scoreboard it's Dallas Raceway.

;)

Which also means its been 90 degrees + in Texas since the camaros came out so there is probably at least a 2000 DA and that car could hit bottom 12s in good weather.

TyG8GXP
08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Notice he has radials, so he hooked, which is the problem with our cars stock.

99-LS1-SS
08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Who wins?

A manual GXP would come out of nowhere and blow right by both of them!! :nah:

The Commodore
08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Which also means its been 90 degrees + in Texas since the camaros came out so there is probably at least a 2000 DA and that car could hit bottom 12s in good weather.

Which is why I question those mods...

Mike P
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Which is why I question those mods...

Me too, I wouldn't be suprised if it had a cam. There were 2 Texas tuners that have cammed Camaro SS's that we saw in a previous You Tube clip in a heads up race....

fiveoh
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Me too, I wouldn't be suprised if it had a cam. There were 2 Texas tuners that have cammed Camaro SS's that we saw in a previous You Tube clip in a heads up race....

I would agree IF his trap speed was higher but it would be trapping a lot higher then 109 if he had a cam or other mods... i've seen stock ss's trap 109. I think the guy just knows how to drive unlike a lot of ppl with new camaros at the moment. And drag radials certainly helps.

The Commodore
08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I would agree IF his trap speed was higher but it would be trapping a lot higher then 109 if he had a cam or other mods... i've seen stock ss's trap 109. I think the guy just knows how to drive unlike a lot of ppl with new camaros at the moment. And drag radials certainly helps.

The trap speed can still be affected by the heat. He could be cammed or spraying. I just don't see almost a second reduction on just a tune and radials. I don't even count the cat back as it probably does not help much It's just that I have seen where people post stuff on youtube that they are lying about lol. Until someone can confirm this, I'm skeptical.

He doesn't even have an intake?!?!?!

He has another video there where he is running an 12.6 at 111 with no radials.

It could very well be true. A stock GXP ran a 12.8 so I could see this but I still doubt those mods. If he said headers I would believe it 100%

WARLOCK
08-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Hmmmmm. well,i just look at it aaannd close my eyes.. then I think of that day, June 1st it was... Aaaannd I think of sitting in the drivers seat of that black 2010 Camaro inside the dealership.. I turned around, thats right I see it now in my mind.. yep.. there it was. NO FREAKIN LEG ROOM. Yes there is my two children in the back seat looking at me disgusted.
Yeah. Nope I dont really care how fast it is all I see is an unpractical, over priced piece of GM bling bling.

The Commodore
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Hmmmmm. well,i just look at it aaannd close my eyes.. then I think of that day, June 1st it was... Aaaannd I think of sitting in the drivers seat of that black 2010 Camaro inside the dealership.. I turned around, thats right I see it now in my mind.. yep.. there it was. NO FREAKIN LEG ROOM. Yes there is my two children in the back seat looking at me disgusted.
Yeah. Nope I dont really care how fast it is all I see is an unpractical, over priced piece of GM bling bling.

I honestly wish GM gave this car(G8) more love. They sort of ignored it as if it was it's stepchild while they poured all their heart into the Camaro...and I'm still not very impressed.

ss1_2010
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I am very impressed with the camaro cause I have a 4door car if I need to haul people around but I have my camaro for my own enjoyment not everyone else. just cause you have kids you cant put down the camaro I dont hear you downing the vette or the viper or the GTO. Just cause it dosnt fit your need doesnt mean it doesnt fit everyones.

ss1_2010
08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
This is supposed to be a camaro and G8 forum not a Camaro hating G8 forum!

The Commodore
08-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I am very impressed with the camaro cause I have a 4door car if I need to haul people around but I have my camaro for my own enjoyment not everyone else. just cause you have kids you cant put down the camaro I dont hear you downing the vette or the viper or the GTO. Just cause it dosnt fit your need doesnt mean it doesnt fit everyones.

The GTO had a nice interior, good visibility, and IMHO better looks but that is very debatable.

The Vette and Viper are 2 Coupes, not 2+2 Coupes.

Enjoy your Camaro and don't let people get to you. But I'm just not attracted to them. Well at least not their looks.

P.S. The reason I am not impressed is not because it is not an impressive car, I love the idea of them. But, IMO it does not live up to the hype it was given for 3 years. IMO it's just as good as the new Mustang.

GeorgeInNePa
08-09-2009, 12:53 AM

The Camaro is a nice car, if I didn't have a G8, I would buy a Camaro.

I wouldn't give up my G8 for one, not yet anyways...

ss1_2010
08-09-2009, 08:56 AM
All I was saying is everyone has their own taste and needs I love the G8 and respect them I just did not want or need the 4door wanted something a little more sporty

stryker g8gt
08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
i want to see more the truck that took down that camaro in the race.........or at least it looked like he won........

shane
08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
there is a SS camaro rolling around here in town all decked out already has different wheels different exhaust and things like that.. mostly apperance things, waiting to run into him around town :)

btw there was a 2010 camaro at the track a week after my pass
2010SS that had a CAI, full exhaust, tune, and misc other parts that only pulled off a 13.1.

WARLOCK
08-10-2009, 08:37 AM

dude.. as everyone else has stated. not hating on your car. I told u in another thread I think your car is hot. I DONT however think its worth the price GM is asking for it, and as said by Commodor, it really doesn't live up to the hype. GRanted you have another car, so this was a toy for you. great makes more sense than a vette, oh and personally I damn sure dont like vettes, and dont like vipers for that matter (nice to look at but very over priced and useless).
my point was not to dog the camaro for what it can do, because it does very well, it does better than any camaro before and I do think it looks hot. My point was I can over look its slight performance advantage considering my G8 does almost everthing else better for a shit load less money.

OmahaGTP
08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Nobody wants to get told that stuff after they buy a car. I'm getting a lot of "That's a G8? Cool... seen the new Camaros?"

It's an awesome car. I didn't get one because of the attention it would grab, but conversely, I can see why people would buy it for that reason. :)

Tempest2000
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I like the WTH is that thing its bad azz...

but I think its the lope in a 4 door that throws people.

and then there is the WOT that you can hear 2 or 3 miles away that really has them wondering LOL

Camaro's are nice, but if I go 2 door again it'll be a Z06.

johnh
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Tuned and CAI G8 GT > 2010 Camaro SS A6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
Fastest A6 Stock Camaro = 13.5

Apparently there's quite a bit of complaining about how slow the L99 Camaro is...on that site...its probably (as we all know tranny/TQM related...welcome to the party guys)

For you dyno junkies:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36676
Right around stock (or nearly stock) G8 GT territory.

Now the M6 guys seem to be having much better luck...by at least .5 seconds...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an IOM 2SS M6 as play car...saw one today in fact, it was as good looking as my G8. It did have the orange interior which was totally kickass.

Mike P
08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Good post John...... Yea, the auto Camaro's are finding out that the stock TCM tune sucks for performance....

Tuned and CAI G8 GT > 2010 Camaro SS A6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
Fastest A6 Stock Camaro = 13.5

Apparently there's quite a bit of complaining about how slow the L99 Camaro is...on that site...its probably (as we all know tranny/TQM related...welcome to the party guys)

For you dyno junkies:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36676
Right around stock (or nearly stock) G8 GT territory.

Now the M6 guys seem to be having much better luck...by at least .5 seconds...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an IOM 2SS M6 as play car...saw one today in fact, it was as good looking as my G8. It did have the orange interior which was totally kickass.

'02 ws6
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow 13.5 is pitiful IMO. I've been following track times on modded Camaro's, and I just haven't been thoroughly impressed yet. High dyno #s, sure, but when I see H/C/I/E SS run mid/low 12's, and know that my TA runs mid/high 11s, I can't help but think that they're really overrated. Is the weight affecting them that much?
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Mike P
08-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow 13.5 is pitiful IMO. I've been following track times on modded Camaro's, and I just haven't been thoroughly impressed yet. High dyno #s, sure, but when I see H/C/I/E SS run mid/low 12's, and know that my TA runs mid/high 11s, I can't help but think that they're really overrated. Is the weight affecting them that much?

I think it might be the combination of the stock ECM/TCM tune + the weight of the 20" rims & tires?

I can't wait to ran one..... I'll race a M6 too..... :)

99-LS1-SS
08-14-2009, 02:16 AM
All I was saying is everyone has their own taste and needs I love the G8 and respect them I just did not want or need the 4door wanted something a little more sporty

If I didn't have a 4 year old daughter, I would have a M6 Camaro SS right now instead of the GXP. But I needed the extra 2 doors.

fiveoh
08-14-2009, 04:33 AM
I'm guessing in the fall you will start seeing the times people expect out of the camaros. I think Mike from new era ran a 13.2 bone stock in his auto. Its been hot high DA weather ever since the camaros came out.

The Commodore
08-14-2009, 07:37 AM

H/C/I/E G8 GTs are running mid/low 12's...I honestly thought the SS would be running faster than that. And you can't say it's the DA because H/C/I/E GTs are running those times in high DA as well.

I think it might be the combination of the stock ECM/TCM tune + the weight of the 20" rims & tires?

I can't wait to ran one..... I'll race a M6 too..... :)

I think it was the fact they were over hyped. Like, "OMG the new Camaro is going to rape the Mustang!". Yet, the new Mustang with it's caried over 4.6L is running times just .1 - .2 seconds slower. With it's "ancient" 5 speed and "stone age" SRA. The new LS3 Camaro SS is posting very similar numbers to the LS1s. Of course it handles better though.

If there is anything to hype about on a 1/4 it will be the new 5.0L coming to the Mustang. And the Mustang has a SRA.

fiveoh
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
H/C/I/E G8 GTs are running mid/low 12's...I honestly thought the SS would be running faster than that. And you can't say it's the DA because H/C/I/E GTs are running those times in high DA as well.

I think it was the fact they were over hyped. Like, "OMG the new Camaro is going to rape the Mustang!". Yet, the new Mustang with it's caried over 4.6L is running times just .1 - .2 seconds slower. With it's "ancient" 5 speed and "stone age" SRA. The new LS3 Camaro SS is posting very similar numbers to the LS1s. Of course it handles better though.

If there is anything to hype about on a 1/4 it will be the new 5.0L coming to the Mustang. And the Mustang has a SRA.

If they ever do come out with the new 5.0L. Has it been officially announced yet? I know people keep saying its coming blah blah but I have yet to see anything official.

The Commodore
08-14-2009, 10:26 AM
If they ever do come out with the new 5.0L. Has it been officially announced yet? I know people keep saying its coming blah blah but I have yet to see anything official.

I remember reading multiple times that Ford execs confirmed it's existence and it's in testing but never specified which vehicle. It's pretty obvious it's for the Mustang and F-150. I think there has been some mules running around with a different exhaust on them. I'd put money that it is coming out. It's their worst kept secret right now.

Autoblog just posted an article on how C&D( I think) was at Ford testing and watched a Mustang GT with adjustable shocks and R compound tires running same times as the new M3. It can not do that with 4.6L. Hell it could have been the TT 3.5L...

Supposedly they also got a look underhood but can not publish what they saw.

This engine has been in the works for at least 3 years.

This is not like the old pushrod 5.0Ls(4.9L) engines. This is a 4v DOHC modular based motor. With rumors of a DI version as well. It is not a bored out 4.6L.

'02 ws6
08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
With the new 'Stangs weight, if a new model 5.0 is released, the Camaro's are definitely going to be in trouble. Maybe that'll be the push it needs to get Fritz/Lutz to release the LS9/A Z28!! (Wishfull thinking...)

The Commodore
08-15-2009, 08:43 AM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/01/spied-coyote-engine-pics-show-we-werent-crying-wolf.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/18/return-of-the-5-0-ford-exec-confirms-400-hp-coyote-v8-coming/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2011-ford-mustang-gt-an-even-more-potent-track-pack-to-complement-the-400-hp-5-0-liter/