PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with my tranny

DewieJr
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Ive been having a grinding type noise when driving slow and from stoplights. Then this weekend i push the gas from a redlight and the car revved for a second and then slammed hard into first. It has done this 3 times now! Im taking the car in tomorrow but has anyone had this problem or know what the problem might be? My car is stock but i have 4 new mods sitting in their boxes waiting to find out what the problem is with the car before they go on.

wreckwriter
07-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Had the fluid checked yet?

DewieJr
07-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Fluid is at normal level i checked that first

wreckwriter
07-19-2009, 11:33 AM
You checked it yourself? Kinda difficult to do right unless you have a lift.....

DewieJr
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
No the dealership did when i had it in 3 weeks ago when it first did this. Now its back and worse than last time. First time they told me it was fine but its definitley not

bobyoung
07-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the fluid is low to me too.

DewieJr
07-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Ill be pissed if it is bc they supposedly checked that last time....thx guys ill postup my resolution tomorrow for future owners reference

sweetair
07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Perhaps it is the TCM!

DewieJr
07-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Well here is the update i promised.....its not good! Dealership told me that my g8 has to have a new tranny installed! The fluid was to low and a solenoid malfuntioned causing my tranny with 3700 miles on it to eat itself! Im royally pissed and not even sure what im going to do now. Im filing a formal complaint with GM tomorrow and talking to the service manager tomorrow as well. Is it right for me to say this is because of the low fluid and not a solenoid? Im debating selling my car and getting something else or something....anyways thats my update :(

sweetair
07-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Are you overall not happy with it? If you get the new tranny and all is well, are you still done? I hear you, just don't go Honda/Nissan/Toyota. What about the Taurus SHO?

DewieJr
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I haven't decided yet, im just still pissed off pretty bad! I don't know if I can trust a bunch of stupid asses to install my new tranny when they don't have common sense to check it correctly to prevent this problem in the first place.

My fear is they fix it and its fine for a bit, then I mod the shit outta the G8 and the tranny blows and I gotta fork out the money myself next time. I don't know...just seriously annoyed right now.

NOT TO MENTION THEY GAVE ME A F*CKING CHEVY AVEO AS A RENTAL!

DewieJr
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Update today....GM wanted my dealership to REBUILD my tranny. The dealership stepped up and said that wasn't acceptable (damn right!) because this car only has 3700 miles and was only purchased in March 2009. GM gave in and decided to send a brand new transmission to my dealership tomorrow for them to install.

I feel a little better now, knowing my tranny will be brand new and not rebuilt. I really have mixed feelings if I should mod the car still or not. Could the tranny breaking cause any damage to the engine? Do you think my car is going to be like it was new or should I feel hesitation now with modding the motor?

Any advice?

-Ray-
07-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd rather have a rebuilt transmission, as you know what's in it.
Anyway, you'll be fine.

DewieJr
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I sure hope so, I was considering just selling the car and all my mods that are sitting here in boxes and buying an EVO X MR. If things feel right when I get it back I may keep it, but I'm just pissed and nervous about my tranny being right now.

I'M DEFINITLEY SWITCHING DEALERS!

Night Train
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Wow, that is so fuc%ed that it was just low fluid. Especially when you took it in to them. I'm stressing reading about this as I have some weird shifts at time but nothing consistent.

I say keep it, if you like the vehicle. But, changing dealerships may be a good idea.

Crazy_A
07-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I've noticed some grinding type sound, too, at low speeds. I notice it between 30 and 45 mph, but only when I'm not accelerating and only when I'm on a flat (not hilly) road. I live in NE Arkansas, where it is reeeally flat, and the speed limits are between 30 and 45 in and around town...needless to say, I notice the grinding/grumbling noise a lot. I couldn't reproduce it back home in Kentucky, though. I assumed it was something to do with the tires and the road, but now you've got me worried. I've got a little over 4k miles on my GT.

DewieJr
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Those of you I got worried, take your car to the dealer and have them check your fluid level. It shouldn't cost you a thing. Its better to be paranoid and safe, than blow it off and have a grenaded tranny like me.:poof:

DewieJr
07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I got the car back today and its fixed and feels like the day i brought her home. Im excited to have her back and let the modding begin!

Btw according to my stealership im the 5 th g8 to blow its tranny bc of the low or no tranny fluid....please get yours checked guys!

GeoffA
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I got the car back today and its fixed and feels like the day i brought her home. Im excited to have her back and let the modding begin!

Btw according to my stealership im the 5 th g8 to blow its tranny bc of the low or no tranny fluid....please get yours checked guys!

How do you check it? is there a plug to unscrew?

g8sponge
07-25-2009, 05:20 PM
This makes me worry. I have some weird shifts at times. I had them check tranny fluid level when I got my free oil change (wouldn't run bulk if it wasn't free!). I have a feeling they didn't check shit. When I bring the car in for the recall I will have the service manager sign off. Don't trust lazy people to do the right thing.

WickedMom
07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Just curious, what codes were in the computers to lead them to a solenoid failure/fault?

WickedMom
07-25-2009, 07:51 PM
How do you check it? is there a plug to unscrew?
I trimmed down this bulletin since it is like 21498234089 pages long, a lot has to do with failed or damaged transmission flushing and filter changes. I can email anyone who wants the whole thing.

Note: Transmission fluid level can only be accurately checked when the fluid temperature is between 30-50°C (86-122°F).
1. Start the engine.
2. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.

Warning: Refer to Checking Hot Transmission Fluid through Drain Plug Hole Warning in the Preface section.
3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
4. Remove the transmission fluid level hole plug (36). Location is model dependent. See the drawing above for locations.

Note: The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.
5. Inspect the fluid color. If necessary, use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.

Let the fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Inspect the fluid level. The level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Is the fluid level low?

Add DEXRON®VI automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the hole plug.

Note: If the transmission is overhauled, it may be necessary to flush the transmission fluid cooler and pipes. Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flushing and Flow Test.
2. Add enough DEXRON®VI automatic transmission fluid to bring the fluid to the fluid level to the bottom of the threaded plug hole.
3. Start the engine.
4. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.

Warning: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
6. Let the AT fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Remove the transmission plug.
7. If needed, add DEXRON®VI automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the threaded hole plug.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.

Note: If the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) are not damaged, they should be reused.
8. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Inspect the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) for damage. Install the transmission hole plug (36) and tighten to the specified value.

30-50°C (86-122°F)

20 N·m (15 lb ft)

Warning: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
5. Let the AT fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Remove the transmission level hole plug (36).
6. If needed, add DEXRON®VI automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the threaded hole plug.

Note: If the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) are not damaged, they should be reused.
7. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the plug hole. Inspect the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) for damage. Install the transmission level hole plug (36) and tighten to the specified value.
8. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a rag or shop towel.

Is the repair complete?

30-50°C (86-122°F)

20 N·m (15 lb ft)

System OK

--

1. Let the AT fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Allow fluid to finish draining out of the hole plug. Inspect the level hole plug (36) and O-ring (37) for damage. Install the transmission level hole plug (36) and tighten to the specified value.
2. Wipe any excess fluid from the transmission with a shop towel or rag.

Is the repair complete?