PDA

View Full Version : Gxp lover? This will make you cry--

Darkside
07-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Ouch!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Darkside/DSC075631.jpg

mtolivecracker
07-18-2009, 07:25 AM
is that an aftermarket exhaust? i wonder what kind that is. never seem that before.

BW G8GT
07-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Ouch! Is right... I wonder if the driver made out ok. Looks really bad

GTPprix
07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Looks like a flowchoker muffler and some tips.

GM_Fan
07-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I hate to see that.

+1 on the passengers being ok.

Cobra
07-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Looks like the crumple zones worked!

BigV8
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
only 1826 left?

MoonPie
07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Darkside,

that may be a pic of my liquid red GXP I totalled may 1st, it did have splashguards, flowmaster exhausts with twin tailpipes welded on, and I crushed the rear passenger seat area on the driver's side, messed up both doors on the driver's side, ripped off the front driver's side wheel and ripped the rear clip off,where'd you find the pic? I know it was up for an insurance auction awhile back. May be, may not be mine, and it did make me cry, put me in a coma for 3 days. The tires I had on the car were incorrect for the way I used the car, I should have had all season performance tires as I will rarely take it to the track and do use it as a daily driver. I was going the speed limit, just hit some water and lost control, hit a raised driveway, flipped the car, landed on some trees and came to rest upright, I was knocked out completely. They said I was snoring when they pulled me out and was trying to fight the EMT's. Had to strap me down to the gurney with four straps. I'll make a full recovery, I'm about 80-90% now. Everything that happens to you externally you can take steps to prevent, although technically not my fault, I knew the tires were no good in the rain and should have replaced them with all-seasons sooner as they're more conducive to my applications for the car. I purchased it 2/28/09, totalled 5/1/2009. After a closer look, that has to be mine, I unscrewed the whip antenna, and it is missing from the pic, unless it somehow was unscrewed during the wreck or someone took it off it has to be mine as it doesn't look like the whip was broken off. Here's a frontal pic of my wreck:

Mike P
07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Darkside,

that may be a pic of my liquid red GXP I totalled may 1st, it did have splashguards, flowmaster exhausts with twin tailpipes welded on, and I crushed the rear passenger seat area on the driver's side, messed up both doors on the driver's side, ripped off the front driver's side wheel and ripped the rear clip off,where'd you find the pic? I know it was up for an insurance auction awhile back. May be, may not be mine, and it did make me cry, put me in a coma for 3 days. The tires I had on the car were incorrect for the way I used the car, I should have had all season performance tires as I will rarely take it to the track and do use it as a daily driver. ...

What kind of tires were on there when the accident happened?

MoonPie
07-18-2009, 10:19 AM
What kind of tires were on there when the accident happened?

Summer only bridgestone potenzas which were fine when dry out, but horrible in the rain/snow or when It was wet out, even before the wreck I remember it was difficult keeping the car connected to the pavement when it was anything but warm and dry out. I didn't used to put much stock in a what tire to put on the car other than speed rating, now I will.

GeoffA
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
The two roofs do look smashed the same, it probably is/was your car.

GT G8
07-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Wtf??

r33pwrd
07-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Summer only bridgestone potenzas which were fine when dry out, but horrible in the rain/snow or when It was wet out, even before the wreck I remember it was difficult keeping the car connected to the pavement when it was anything but warm and dry out. I didn't used to put much stock in a what tire to put on the car other than speed rating, now I will.

I think those are the same tire I have on mine and they are pretty damn good in the rain IMO... are they the best, NO but mine spend %75 of the time in the rain and they hold pretty well but do not warn you much when they are ready to let loose.

-Ray-
07-18-2009, 01:03 PM
I was wondering what happened to this car. Hydroplaning can happen with any tire.
Too much water, too much speed.

polo
07-18-2009, 01:09 PM
WOW! Man, I'm glad you're making a full recovery. That could have/ probably should have been a lot worse. I can't believe how mangled up that car is!

Anonysmous
07-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I've seen you explain your accident both here and on the G8board now. You're rationalizing it so much, blaming the tires so vehemently that I am of the opinion you are in some serious denial as to the real cause of the accident. I suspect there's some contributing factor that you did have control over and ignored.
I'm glad you are ok, and I hope you make a full recovery, but sometimes owning up to your own mistakes is part of a healing process.
Again, it's great that you lived to tell the tale, drive careful, be safe.

MANOFSTEEL69
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Ouch! Another testament to these cars. Glad you're ok. Yea, the Portenzas are a big no no under 50 degrees. They get like snot. :(

MoonPie
07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I've seen you explain your accident both here and on the G8board now. You're rationalizing it so much, blaming the tires so vehemently that I am of the opinion you are in some serious denial as to the real cause of the accident. I suspect there's some contributing factor that you did have control over and ignored.
I'm glad you are ok, and I hope you make a full recovery, but sometimes owning up to your own mistakes is part of a healing process.

The only thing i've vehemently done was defend reality and what really happened. I did, at first, believe I was solely to blame. But, after much introspection and personal investigation of the event, using past experiences with the car in similar conditions as well as new experiences with the same model vehicle with different tires in the same conditions, I have found that it was a little bit of both. I could have possibly prevented it from happening had I corrected what I considered a weak spot of the car when driven as a daily driver in the conditions I could possibly encounter, weeks before the wreck. Look, I was driving the posted speed limit, hit some water and lost control of the vehicle. The only reason I believe things would have happened differently if I had all-season tires on the car is that before the wreck I did notice some slippage with the summer only tires on the car when it was raining and or wet outside. Since the wreck I have purchased an identical car with all season tires on it and notice a big difference whilst driving while its raining or its wet outside. I'm not trying to justify the wreck nor am I trying to slam summer only tires. Its just that for me, driving the car as a daily driver and rarely taking it to a drag strip, all seasons are the best option. I'm just trying to understand the events leading up to it so that I can take the necessary steps to prevent it in the future. I would hope you, once something bad happens, would look for a way to prevent said instance from occurring again, but maybe I'm expecting too much of you...I really don't feel like getting into a pissing match over it, thus this is the last I am discussing of it. You can believe whatever you want to believe, no matter how wrong you may be. My apologies to the original poster for this apparent hijack.

Devilish34
07-18-2009, 02:56 PM
1st I hope everyone was ok
2nd where is it?? I want the diff if it's not fraked

Darkside
07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
My apologies to the original poster for this apparent hijack.
No apology needed, I'm glad you are alright. Thats a nasty hit, I'm pretty sure it was your car.

1st I hope everyone was ok
2nd where is it?? I want the diff if it's not fraked
I'll let you know after I have a chance to purchase the rear/gears.:nah:

blackoutgt
07-18-2009, 08:22 PM
No apology needed, I'm glad you are alright. Thats a nasty hit, I'm pretty sure it was your car.

I'll let you know after I have a chance to purchase the rear/gears.:nah:

Tell me too, I'm in the process of finding tail lights...
and to the driver, Glad you're still with us brother.

Eidolon
07-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll second everyone in saying I'm glad you're OK!

It's sad seeing your GXP so mangled, though; it's the same color as mine, so it's also kinda odd to see. At least you were able to get another one. :)

I'll have to be darn careful in the rain... I like my GXP, and myself, in one piece. Glad to hear it holds up well in a wreck, though.

By the way, was it the OnStar system that notified the emergency crews and got them to you?

The only reason I believe things would have happened differently if I had all-season tires on the car is that before the wreck I did notice some slippage with the summer only tires on the car when it was raining and or wet outside. Since the wreck I have purchased an identical car with all season tires on it and notice a big difference whilst driving while its raining or its wet outside.

The odd thing is I thought I'd heard that, while all-seasons are rated for better performance in the rain, summer tires typically outperform them in the rain despite the fact that they're supposed to be worse. The summer tires should have a softer rubber compound that would still bind to the road surface better, though the cooling effect of the rain may change that...

Then again, maybe it's just the Potenzas. I'd like to get some Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on my car at some point and keep the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's that came on it around for swapping out should the weather get really cold. I'd hope the Michelins would do better than the Potenzas, but maybe not...

Speed6
07-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I dont know why that would happen with those tires..I had exact same tires on my last car 2006 Mazdaspeed6 and i also live in MN, drove them in rail ,WiNTER and temps --10F++.. And i got lead Foot ...

blackoutgt
07-20-2009, 09:20 AM
It only takes once...

PolRoger
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I have the same summer tires on mine... I'm going to try and keep Eyemuffs unfortunate experience in mind when winter comes around.

Jaysin
07-21-2009, 06:36 AM
I have the same summer tires on mine... I'm going to try and keep Eyemuffs unfortunate experience in mind when winter comes around.

OMG, the Bridgestone's absolutely suck ass in just a dusting of snow. Be very careful in the winter with those tires.

superspud
07-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I dont know why that would happen with those tires..I had exact same tires on my last car 2006 Mazdaspeed6 and i also live in MN, drove them in rail ,WiNTER and temps --10F++.. And i got lead Foot ...

you're nuts! I drove home in a snowstorm and my car was sideways the whole way. 50 minute drifting record holder. :woohoo: :windy:

I'll never endure another winter without snow tires again, summer only tires SUCK in the winter and the wet.

PolRoger
07-21-2009, 07:17 AM
OMG, the Bridgestone's absolutely suck ass in just a dusting of snow. Be very careful in the winter with those tires.

If I lived up north... I would switch over to a set of winter tires. Memphis does not get that much snow although it does get cold snaps. I'll have to give this more consideration as December approaches.

-Ray-
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Agreed. First time it sleeted I tried to brake and it went straight. I bought a daily driver the next week and stored the G8.

r1owner
07-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Heh... I had the woman at work (who just got a LR GT) ask me what I do in the winter.... I said I park it.... She seemed a little surprised by the answer.

69project
07-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey, I see a LS3 motor/Trans that a pick a part says is the first pull out of a GXP.

Is it the one that came from this car? I am suprised the hulk has made it to Cleveland but...

glhsken
08-08-2009, 04:10 AM
My GXP won't see the snow. Winter garage queen like the solstice. The GTX handles snow like a champ and there's the 4x4 quad cab Dakota.

Glad to see the driver is doing ok

Arkss
08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, I think that this is his engine/trans, because that exhaust system is on ebay also...

R.Penguin
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
That post serves NO useful purpose other than to make you feel better.

Unless you've "been there, done that" STFU!

:no: