PDA

View Full Version : Wet carpet

RevGTO
07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I noticed the other day after washing my wife's car that the carpet in the driver's footwell was soaking wet. Today she brought it by my office and it is soaked again.

The car has been rained on since washed and the A/C has been running every day.

Anybody have any familiarity with this problem?

wreckwriter
07-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Anything been run through the firewall, alarm wires etc?

RevGTO
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
No, nothing. The car is bone stock with less than 2000 miles. There's no obvious source of the water, either. Passenger side is dry.

Panzer Leader
07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Did you let r penquin drive your car? My guess AC, how do the door seals look?

djchubbs
07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
with the a/c running check to see if the evaporator is draining to the outside of the car and not leaking into the cabin for sum reason normally it is on the passenger side but this car is built in another world. Hopefully there is not a sweet smell inside the car

mikesgt
07-16-2009, 02:51 AM
I had a small lake on the rear drivers side floorboard. A leak from the evapoator worked its way there.

Next round was it was low 1.25 lbs of freon.

Now it's back again because it still doesn't blow cold.

Crappy a/c's in these things.

RevGTO
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, we have pretty much narrowed it down to the evaporator. We had the same thing happen on her previous Montana - but at well over 100,000k. It hasn't rained much in a couple of days and the floor still continues to be wet. It hasn't dried out in spite of shop vaccing it.

And yes also, it's getting that funky smell. To the dealer on Monday for this, the recalls, and a blown rear speaker.

jadesboutique
07-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Not sure, but when we towed my car from california to North carolina - I had put a comforter in the driver side floor board in the front and it was wet when I got it out. We had went through a ton of rain. I remember my GTP had a similiar problem. My car is always garaged and never in the rain so I haven't had it happen again lol

RevGTO
07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
We took it to the dealer and they figured it out - the seal on the side view mirror. So keep that in mind if you have the problem.

BigRed585Lbs
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Took BigRed to the dealership with the same problem and they found three leaks in the driver's door. Evidently, the aussies weren't sealing around the mirror and door handle as they should. Look there if your problem persists.

angus60
07-29-2009, 06:10 AM
had wet carpet driver front and rear. condenser drain had plug left in, dealer fixed, no problems since

angus60
07-29-2009, 06:14 AM
had wet carpet driver front and rear. dealer found evaporator drain still had plug in it. removed plug and haven't had any more issuses.

Wag 42
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
had wet carpet driver front and rear. dealer found evaporator drain still had plug in it. removed plug and haven't had any more issuses.

Does anyone know where this plug is? It would be nice to know so everyone could verify that it's not left in.

Thanks...

BigRed585Lbs
07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
And, I just went out to go to lunch and saw where it leaked again, so we're back at the soon-to-be-shut-down dealership in the morning at 8am. Pray for me.

mikesgt
07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
That sucks. Luckily my dealer is still open since it was also a Mitsu and GMC dealer and now Chevy.
But mine also had the evaporator plug still in. Haven't had a problem since the dealer fixed it. There is a memo out about the issue. It seems there is not the best quality control on these cars.

Wag 42
07-31-2009, 05:42 AM
Does anyone know where this plug is? It would be nice to know so everyone could verify that it's not left in.

Thanks...

Bump...

I'd really like to know where this plug is so I can check to see if it is still in.

Any help?

Thanks...

RevGTO
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, after a few more days of driving and a couple of rains, the carpet is sopping wet again. Car is back at the dealer.

BigRed585Lbs
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Went back to the dealership for the THIRD time and they finally found the dreaded plug-in-the-evaporator-drain line. It must be more prevalent than we think. BigRed was built 11/08, so if you've got one about that birthdate, it wouldn't hurt to check!

Now let's see if it stays dry.

RevGTO
08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
The dealer said that the evap drain hose was kinked. I alerted him to the plug issue ahead of time, but he didn't report finding it. We've had the car back for over a week running the A/C continuously and it's stayed dry.

It hasn't seen rain during this time though. That's the final test.

bob28dec
08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Went thru A drive thru car wash yesterday and I got soaked in the drivers seat. Witnessed water pouring in above drivers side door. Have an appt. at dealer to check it tomorrow.

BigRed585Lbs
08-23-2009, 04:14 AM
Found another thread from back in May '08 on this same subject. Wonder why THEY couldn't have worked all these bugs out? Aussie engineering must not be exact. That thread mentioned water possibly coming from the a/c feed line in the console to the rear vent. Oh, well. I'm supposed to be getting new carpet and padding. We'll see what's next.